My Newest Comms Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

I finally got a chance to turn my dated finished basement into my mancave/office/comms center and I felt like sharing the project with everyone.

First task was to rip out the old bar and bar back and remove the dated paneling down to the studs:
Basement1.jpgBasement2.jpg

Then I was tasked with running electrical so that all the equipment could be powered without putting a strain on any other circuits. Turns out, the previous owners took an outlet out in the dining room and installed an in-wall A/C unit, but instead of moving the wire, they ran a new wire to a new outlet a couple of feet away. I was wondering why I had a breaker that seemingly didn't control anything, and I discovered why! So instead of running a whole new feed, I simply pulled that wire down from the wall above and completed the circuit as desired (and up to code, of course). I then began installing new, updated paneling and ceiling tiles, and also replaced old recessed can lights with new, dimmable LED lights:
Basement3.jpg

Then came the task of ripping out the old floor tile and installing new. I opted for peel & stick tile, as it is easier to install for a DIY guy. The new desk was delivered right in time as I was finishing the walls and building the "data center" in the corner:
Basement4.jpg

Once everything was built I began the process of moving the equipment from my old office upstairs down to my new office. Most of that work only took about a day, and finishing touches took another day or two. This is pretty much the finished product. The desktop radio rack still needs a coat of paint and the ceiling tile cut above the data center for the cabling, but it's probably 99% done at this point. I am very happy with the finished result. Total cost was around $1500 all in with materials (which also were purchased to update the rest of the room for a play area for my daughter). The outlets in my area are configured so that the wall switch turns on all the desktop equipment minus the chargers.

Features include:
Dual band WIFI router
GMRS repeater constructed from 2 Motorola CDM mobiles
Feed radio rack with 2 Motorola XTL mobiles, 3 Kenwood TK-8180 mobiles and 2 Uniden scanners
4 Feed servers
DJ audio amplifier/speaker system
Desktop radio rack with 2 Motorola XPR mobiles, Uniden Scanner, Motorola APX mobile, 2 Motorola XTL mobiles and 2 Kenwood NX mobiles
6 bay Motorola gang charger with adapter cups for APX and XPR portables
Programming laptop
Desktop PC
Everyday laptop
TV connected to rooftop antenna for OTA stations
DJ console to interface with DJ software
Oh, and I kept the Budweiser mini-fridge for drinks :cool:

Basement5.jpgBasement6.jpgBasement7.jpgBasement8.jpg

RFI-EMI-GUY

Shades of HBO Mad Men, remember those days when every new house had a built in bar! The good old days!

Much improved space.

What vendor/models did you use for rack rails and panels? I am lacking that utility here.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sure did! Had to cut it on half to get it up the steps lol. Neither of us drink mixed drinks like that, so it never got used. Don't need a bar for bottles of beer *shrugs*
Dan that is a great job well done now I am jealous
Well Dan at least your basement does not leak and is tight as a drum given the sht storm we are about to get. I think it's just missed you but we are about to be hit very hard any moment. Everyone taken shelter.

I'm still jealous of you Budd lol.

phillydjdan

Dan, what's in the case on the desk with the cabling?
TIA

That's my road case from my DJing days. It contains a Numark DJ controller and a wireless mic system. Don't use it much these days but I do mix up some music on occasion. And my daughter loves music, so I think her play area will occasionally turn into a club of sorts lol.

K2NEC

Looks like you have everything but the kitchen sink! Very nice!
Are the programming cables just on hooks or is there something fancy that's keeping them hung?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Everyting looks great! I would like to see a better picture of what's in the closet and your antenna cabling system.

phillydjdan

I would like to see a better picture of what's in the closet and your antenna cabling system.

Here's the data center.
Top shelf: FIOS modem, Wifi router, ethernet switch, radio power supply
Rack under top shelf: GMRS repeater (duplexer mounted behind the radios)
Middle shelf: Monitor, KVM switch and 1 Kenwood radio
Top rack: 2 Motorola XTL mobiles
Middle rack: 2 Kenwood TK-8180 mobiles
Bottom rack: 2 Uniden scanners

The wiring is quite a mess, so I won't be posting a pic of that, but I can describe the setup:

-Discone with LMR400 runs to an 8 port CATV drop amp (feeding the feed radios) and then to a 16 port CATV splitter in the desktop rack (which feeds all but the 2 XPR mobiles)
-800MHz yagi with RG58 runs to the one feed Uniden scanner
-Dual band antenna with LMR400 runs to a duplexer and then to the 2 XPR mobiles in the desktop rack to allow transmit
-High gain dual band antenna with LMR400 runs to the repeater duplxer

Basement10.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Here's the data center.
Top shelf: FIOS modem, Wifi router, ethernet switch, radio power supply
Rack under top shelf: GMRS repeater (duplexer mounted behind the radios)
Middle shelf: Monitor, KVM switch and 1 Kenwood radio
Top rack: 2 Motorola XTL mobiles
Middle rack: 2 Kenwood TK-8180 mobiles
Bottom rack: 2 Uniden scanners

The wiring is quite a mess, so I won't be posting a pic of that, but I can describe the setup:

-Discone with LMR400 runs to an 8 port CATV drop amp (feeding the feed radios) and then to a 16 port CATV splitter in the desktop rack (which feeds all but the 2 XPR mobiles)
-800MHz yagi with RG58 runs to the one feed Uniden scanner
-Dual band antenna with LMR400 runs to a duplexer and then to the 2 XPR mobiles in the desktop rack to allow transmit
-High gain dual band antenna with LMR400 runs to the repeater duplxer

View attachment 94802

Looks like maybe three UPS's on the very bottom? All that keeps the shack nice and cozy warm? Not even if I should refer to it as a shack!

radio3353

Just wondering how you hear anything in the warm weather with the air conditioner and a fan by your chair :unsure:

KC9QFU

Premium Subscriber
So where's the kegger?...

How did you mount the scanners into the 1U?

Status
Not open for further replies.