my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

puzzleriddle

I just did a reload of Win 7 x64 & now it'd not connecting automatically to my network.w hat do I need to to get it to connect?... It usually does but not this time.

CapStar362

okay, so you formatted and re-installed windows correct?

okay no problem.....

is this a laptop or desktop?

wifi or wired (ethernet ) ?

more info please......

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You need the NIC driver. Go to the manufacturer's website (assuming you didn't out the computer together yourself) and find the support page for the model of computer. Then find the download and get the nic driver and wireless driver if you're using a laptop. Put them on a thumb drive and run them under you're new install of Windows. Then it could give you network access again.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

puzzleriddle

okay, so you formatted and re-installed windows correct?

okay no problem.....

is this a laptop or desktop?

wifi or wired (ethernet ) ?

more info please......

wifi.t has been connctiind on auto for many years. but I have to manually click connect in the drop down wifi list I am on cable internet Desktop with built in wifi

CapStar362

you know im curious how he posted that message to begin with......lol

okay from what im reading ill make a guess.....

if this is a WiFi connection, he is talking about "Saving" the password and using "Auto-Connect"

okay click your Network Icon, does it have a yellow "sun" icon displayed over the greyed out signal strength bars?

OR

does it have a large red "X" over the bars?

if Yellow, then you already have the drivers, and do NOT need to download them again. click the Network Icon... a list of Wifi SSID's should be displayed now. click the one that is yours, and then BEFORE Connecting ----- IMPORTANT ----- click the check box that says "Connect Automatically"

now click connect....enter your network password and click connect again.

when prompted, choose Home or Work as your net type, DO NOT !! choose PUBLIC!! you will DISABLE certain features that some applications require!! if you choose public, and try to browse other devices on YOUR secured network, it WILL fail!

IF the icon is a red "X", two possibilities here:

1- your WiFi card ( adapter ) is turned off, but it DOES have the drivers. check around the chassis of the laptop for some kind of toggle switch, either a sliding switch or button labeled as "Wireless" "WiFi" or something of the similar notions. if no physical switch is present, you need to look at your keyboard. find the "BLUE" colored button that says FN, but wait, do not press it. now find your "F" Row, on top of everything else. F1, F2..... and so on. one of those keys is going to have a icon printed on it, resembling a antenna.... now, press AND HOLD DOWN, the FN Key. while holding FN ( Function ) tap the F-Row key relating to the "Wifi" Icon, and then let "FN" go. if your WiFi already has the drivers, it will TURN ON the wifi card, and the network icon should change from Red "X" to Yellow "Sun" and upon opening the Net window, will display SSID's.

2- you need drivers, plain and simple.....

there is a third scenario:

if you CANNOT enable the adapter, and/or if after completed installing drivers it STILL does not show SSID's.... you might actually have a bad WiFi card. you will need to replace the Wifi internal card, or consider a external USB device

puzzleriddle

You need the NIC driver. Go to the manufacturer's website (assuming you didn't out the computer together yourself) and find the support page for the model of computer. Then find the download and get the nic driver and wireless driver if you're using a laptop. Put them on a thumb drive and run them under you're new install of Windows. Then it could give you network access again.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

I understand hat you are saying, have'nt had any problems in the past with windows finding or installing the drivers in the past?:)

CapStar362

okay but he said, along with myself, you deleted windows. that means, you deleted the original drivers too, if they are not there with windows in the included installation cab files, you need to re-install those drivers manually from the net.

puzzleriddle

I reloaded windows. now it will not auto connect.It will connect when I click on manual. Nothing is greyed out etc. there no other choice that I can see now?... has worked for 4 years as i
ok ok thanks for help I found the check box for auto connect in the properties section :) logging off to see if it works lol

Status
Not open for further replies.