• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My Radioddity QT40 review

WSAC829

So after a small delay in shipping I finally received my QT40 yesterday. I had already installed the programming software prior. Within minutes I had it converted for 11 meter and programmed. I even made my own custom Roger beeps via the software.

I'm using it in the garage for a base station for the time being. Bone stock with stock mic (which I modified with a bigger hole to speak in to) I was able to talk to my buddy 25 miles away (his base is a Stryker 955) on AM using a fiberglass 102 on a mag mount slapped on my metal garage roof. Quite impressive. He said the audio was loud and clear. A few hours later i talked to 4 guys yacking back and forth in Ontario Canada on straight AM during a band opening. Very impressed with this radio.

As a bonus, for those who didn't know... You can program VHF 140-170mhz freqs in to the weather band. I removed the WX freqs and added local EMS, Fire, MURS, and ham freqs. Then set it to scan. Makes for a good backup scanner, or something to listen to when the chicken band is silent. You can even select a specified frequency to act as your weather alert instead of the weather.

The receiver on this thing is great. It has really good ears. I like the old school look of it, and the physical knobs and switches. It even has a freq counter if you hold the up/down channel buttons on the mic. It scrolls in the channel display. Neat.

On TX all audio reports have been positive. Some even said it sounded like I was running some fire in the wire because I was really loud and clear. I did turn NPC on (not to be confused with NRC), which the experts on YT say not to, but it really opens up the audio. There is nothing I don't like about this radio. Very impressive rig for $169.99.

slowmover

July 2024
One year review @ 43-minutes.
Mobile & Base
Several base antennas.
Substantial SSB time

April 2023 ANYTONE ARES II
An introduction

Always recall to distinguish reviews by whether Mobile or Base. The former is more difficult by which to compare yours to theirs, so it’s sometimes paying attention to what they ran previously.

M-Junkie notes he runs NRC on Setting #1. On my mobile Q5 (same company, very similar radio) I always run NRC #3. Maybe it’s the difference between Mobile & Base. Or more a function of hobbyist versus professional driver (as word clarity overrides the last bit of audio fidelity).

And it could be a function of radio speaker quality (don’t skimp).

If I can paraphrase most everyone :

“How Ya Gonna Keep ‘Em Down On The Farm? (After They’ve Seen Paree)”?

Last edited:

slowmover

Here's a small sample of it receiving my local county Fire/EMS dispatch.

Thx. Sounds great.

Thru what speaker? A carpeted room with insulated walls and HVAC?

We are to the point where the audio potential of the radio has gone sky-high.

Are the birds at your house or mine?

The Uniden 885 needs a DSP Speaker to get into that space.

WSAC829

Get a fan or 2 in there before you have heat stroke.
That's my next major purchase. 2 thermal barn fans that automatically kick on to suck the hot air out once it hits my selected temp. Around here an 85 degree day can make my garage a blistering 110 degrees. It's gotten so hot in there that my snow shovels fell off their hooks because the glue that held the handles on oozed out. Handles were still hanging there. Shovels on the floor. :oops:

WSAC829

160F inside my pickup with windows cracked in under 30-minutes.

A/C a lifesaver.
But I'm in Wisconsin. The humidity in the summer is brutal. 70, 80, 90, 100% at times. My uncle lives in Arizona and complains about his "dry" 115 degrees until he comes home for some Packer games. That poor man sweats bullets in 80 degree weather. He forgets about the humidity. ;)

Either way, extreme heat sucks. Sucks even more when trapped in a steel building w/out insulation or vents.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
That's my next major purchase. 2 thermal barn fans that automatically kick on to suck the hot air out once it hits my selected temp. Around here an 85 degree day can make my garage a blistering 110 degrees. It's gotten so hot in there that my snow shovels fell off their hooks because the glue that held the handles on oozed out. Handles were still hanging there. Shovels on the floor. :oops:
Heard of old farmer cultivating corn with mules pulling cultivator.
It got so hot the corn popped n was foot deep all over the field.
Mules thought it was snow ,laid down in it n froze to death