• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My review of the Retevis RT10

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

Looks like you have enough experience to not be surprised. I had a 900 repeater up for a while here, but no one to talk to. I think that other than me bringing it up on occasion to see if it still worked, I only had one QSO on it the entire time it was up. I have an MSF5000 ready to go, if only I had a site. The one I had on before went off because someone cut my coax near the antenna. If I could locate some hard line for a reasonable price, I might put that MSF5K up there. I wish you good luck with your RT10s. I think you will like them. They pleasantly surprised me. Mine will probably go in a drawer with the rest.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, I checked and the radios just shipped from within California. They will probably arrive tomorrow, or at least by Monday. If they do not ship with a programming cable, I believe I have something that will work with a Kenwood type plug.

I am very curious about comparing these with the DTR700 in regards to range. If the results are the same, I would be very pleased. A little less than that and I will still be happy. I'll do some A/B testing with the digital and analog as well as other various tests and post the results.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I did, and it supports what I posted.
I regret even saying anything regarding the legality of these. What was meant to be a review of a new radio devolved into hair splitting about the interpretation of FCC rules. In the greater scheme of things, It hardly matters if they are legal or not. I can't see anyone getting in trouble for using them, legal, or not.

Part 15 does not support what you posted. I paraphrased the relevant Part 15 sections in my post, and you said you were confused by it. In any event, I'm finished arguing that point.

WPXS472

Oh wow, I checked and the radios just shipped from within California. They will probably arrive tomorrow, or at least by Monday. If they do not ship with a programming cable, I believe I have something that will work with a Kenwood type plug.

I am very curious about comparing these with the DTR700 in regards to range. If the results are the same, I would be very pleased. A little less than that and I will still be happy. I'll do some A/B testing with the digital and analog as well as other various tests and post the results.
That's great news. I haven't used the DTR700, but have a couple of DTR410s. I have heard great things about the DTRs. My experience wasn't so good. The range was about the same as some high powered cordless phones I had, but my main issue was the talk permit tone. I had to wait until I got that before talking. It is supposed to keep from missing transmissions, but it was just a bother to me. My wife never got used to it, so I missed the first part of anything she said. If you use DMR, I suspect the range with the RT10s will be about the same as the DTR700s. With analog, you start getting noise, so you know you are about to lose signal, but with any digital system, it just goes. Sometimes, things start to sound strange because of lost packets, but often, it just goes away. People often claim digital has greater range than analog, and in some cases, it is true. Years ago, I did some range testing with DES-XL vs analog, and did get a small range increase.

WPXS472

WPXS472 said: The only service these could be legally used in would be Amateur.

alcahuete said: All incorrect. These operate in the US ISM band, and no license is required. The transmitters and receivers are regulated under Part 15. The 33cm band is allocated to amateur radio operators on a secondary basis (ISM is the primary user). I suppose you could use these radios under the provision of your amateur license, but it absolutely 100% not required.

WPXS472 said: I find your post a bit confusing. First, you state that my saying the only legal way to use these is with an Amateur license, is incorrect, then, at the end, you state that non frequency hopping mode would require an Amateur license. These are not spread spectrum radios, so I stand by my original statement. If you know of a section of Part 15 that allows license free use of THESE radios, please, please post it. I would be most interested in reading it.

alcahuete said: It is not confusing at all. Operating in the ISM band requires:

1) Frequency Hopping

or

2) Digital Transmission

Not both. You certainly can use both simultaneously, as Motorola does, but only one is required. If you use digital on these radios, you are covered under Part 15. If you use analog you need an amateur radio license. Pretty simple.

wpxs472 said: Look, don't take my word for it. Look up CFR47, part 15 and read for yourself. It is spelled out pretty plainly what is allowed. If it isn't listed as allowed, it isn't.

Wpxs472 added: From 47CFGR part 15 Quote:

(2) Systems using digital modulation techniques may operate in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands. The minimum 6 dB bandwidth shall be at least 500 kHz.

alcahuete said:
Yes, you really need to read Part 15. It will tell you exactly what I listed above.

Wpxs472 said: Yes, I did, and it supports what I posted.

alcahuete said: Part 15 does not support what you posted. I paraphrased the relevant Part 15 sections in my post, and you said you were confused by it. In any event, I'm finished arguing that point.

OK. Wow! This reminds me of an old saying: “Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind’s made up.”

It seems alcahuete has his mind made up, and somehow neglected to read the next paragraph down.

The complete section is below. Part 15 isn’t easy reading, I know, and it is easy to miss things, especially when you don’t want to find them anyway.

Sorry for the long post.

§15.247 Operation within the bands 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz.
(a) Operation under the provisions of this Section is limited to frequency hopping and digitally modulated intentional radiators that comply with the following provisions:
(1) Frequency hopping systems shall have hopping channel carrier frequencies separated by a minimum of 25 kHz or the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel, whichever is greater. Alternatively, frequency hopping systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band may have hopping channel carrier frequencies that are separated by 25 kHz or two-thirds of the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel, whichever is greater, provided the systems operate with an output power no greater than 125 mW. The system shall hop to channel frequencies that are selected at the system hopping rate from a pseudo randomly ordered list of hopping frequencies. Each frequency must be used equally on the average by each transmitter. The system receivers shall have input bandwidths that match the hopping channel bandwidths of their corresponding transmitters and shall shift frequencies in synchronization with the transmitted signals.
(i) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: if the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is less than 250 kHz, the system shall use at least 50 hopping frequencies and the average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 20 second period; if the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 250 kHz or greater, the system shall use at least 25 hopping frequencies and the average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 10 second period. The maximum allowed 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 500 kHz.
(ii) Frequency hopping systems operating in the 5725-5850 MHz band shall use at least 75 hopping frequencies. The maximum 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 1 MHz. The average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 30 second period.
(iii) Frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band shall use at least 15 channels. The average time of occupancy on any channel shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a period of 0.4 seconds multiplied by the number of hopping channels employed. Frequency hopping systems may avoid or suppress transmissions on a particular hopping frequency provided that a minimum of 15 channels are used.
(2) Systems using digital modulation techniques may operate in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands. The minimum 6 dB bandwidth shall be at least 500 kHz.
(b) The maximum peak conducted output power of the intentional radiator shall not exceed the following:
(1) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band employing at least 75 non-overlapping hopping channels, and all frequency hopping systems in the 5725-5850 MHz band: 1 watt. For all other frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band: 0.125 watts.
(2) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: 1 watt for systems employing at least 50 hopping channels; and, 0.25 watts for systems employing less than 50 hopping channels, but at least 25 hopping channels, as permitted under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section.
(3) For systems using digital modulation in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands: 1 Watt. As an alternative to a peak power measurement, compliance with the one Watt limit can be based on a measurement of the maximum conducted output power. Maximum Conducted Output Power is defined as the total transmit power delivered to all antennas and antenna elements averaged across all symbols in the signaling alphabet when the transmitter is operating at its maximum power control level. Power must be summed across all antennas and antenna elements. The average must not include any time intervals during which the transmitter is off or is transmitting at a reduced power level. If multiple modes of operation are possible (e.g., alternative modulation methods), the maximum conducted output power is the highest total transmit power occurring in any mode.
(4) The conducted output power limit specified in paragraph (b) of this section is based on the use of antennas with directional gains that do not exceed 6 dBi. Except as shown in paragraph (c) of this section, if transmitting antennas of directional gain greater than 6 dBi are used, the conducted output power from the intentional radiator shall be reduced below the stated values in paragraphs (b)(1), (b)(2), and (b)(3) of this section, as appropriate, by the amount in dB that the directional gain of the antenna exceeds 6 dBi.
(c) Operation with directional antenna gains greater than 6 dBi.
(1) Fixed point-to-point operation:
(i) Systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band that are used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations may employ transmitting antennas with directional gain greater than 6 dBi provided the maximum conducted output power of the intentional radiator is reduced by 1 dB for every 3 dB that the directional gain of the antenna exceeds 6 dBi.
(ii) Systems operating in the 5725-5850 MHz band that are used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations may employ transmitting antennas with directional gain greater than 6 dBi without any corresponding reduction in transmitter conducted output power.
(iii) Fixed, point-to-point operation, as used in paragraphs (c)(1)(i) and (c)(1)(ii) of this section, excludes the use of point-to-multipoint systems, omnidirectional applications, and multiple co-located intentional radiators transmitting the same information. The operator of the spread spectrum or digitally modulated intentional radiator or, if the equipment is professionally installed, the installer is responsible for ensuring that the system is used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations. The instruction manual furnished with the intentional radiator shall contain language in the installation instructions informing the operator and the installer of this responsibility.
(2) In addition to the provisions in paragraphs (b)(1), (b)(3), (b)(4) and (c)(1)(i) of this section, transmitters operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band that emit multiple directional beams, simultaneously or sequentially, for the purpose of directing signals to individual receivers or to groups of receivers provided the emissions comply with the following:
(i) Different information must be transmitted to each receiver.
(ii) If the transmitter employs an antenna system that emits multiple directional beams but does not do emit multiple directional beams simultaneously, the total output power conducted to the array or arrays that comprise the device, i.e., the sum of the power supplied to all antennas, antenna elements, staves, etc. and summed across all carriers or frequency channels, shall not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (b)(1) or (b)(3) of this section, as applicable. However, the total conducted output power shall be reduced by 1 dB below the specified limits for each 3 dB that the directional gain of the antenna/antenna array exceeds 6 dBi. The directional antenna gain shall be computed as follows:
(A) The directional gain shall be calculated as the sum of 10 log (number of array elements or staves) plus the directional gain of the element or stave having the highest gain.
(B) A lower value for the directional gain than that calculated in paragraph (c)(2)(ii)(A) of this section will be accepted if sufficient evidence is presented, e.g., due to shading of the array or coherence loss in the beamforming.
(iii) If a transmitter employs an antenna that operates simultaneously on multiple directional beams using the same or different frequency channels, the power supplied to each emission beam is subject to the power limit specified in paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section. If transmitted beams overlap, the power shall be reduced to ensure that their aggregate power does not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section. In addition, the aggregate power transmitted simultaneously on all beams shall not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (c)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Radios arrived, but no programming cable with either one. Also note that the listing on Amazon did not advise there would be one. I have not performed a range test to compare with the Motorola DTR700, so that is still to come along with analog testing via repeater.

Antenna
I swept the antennas and they both swept the same and under 2:1. I may source improved antennas after testing if the performance is not close to the DTR. Antennas are 6.5" (17cm) in length. Radio + Antenna is 27cm. (The Amazon and Retevis site note 22cm, which must be with the other smaller antenna size also found in photos of the product)

DMR + Encryption
Digital worked fine and sounded like I expected. It did not sound worse to me than other inexpensive DMR radios. Thinking further, it was not too bad, but this was simplex and not through a repeater. Audio was okay when using a scanner as well (TRX-1). The interesting part was during testing of the Normal and Enhanced encryption keys. The Normal setting uses four characters and worked fine. The TRX-1 would display the Group and respective Radio ID's and no audio was heard. When testing the Enhanced key it also showed the ID's, but at times the audio would come over. While mostly a hiss or garbled, it was at times intelligible! I will use the Normal key for encryption instead.

Analog
This worked as expected whether 12.5K or 25K of bandwidth on both TX and RX. Basically, the audio was lower when using 12.5K. I also tested it with a Motorola Spectra and the 25K wide setting provided louder and fuller audio, as expected. No problem hearing the Motorola as well.

Voice Announcement
This worked as expected advising of the Zone and or channel when changed. Yes, even when changing channels in a zone. The voice was clear and pleasant enough. I am not a fan of voice announcements and beeps and bops, but without a screen one needs a way to navigate. There is a Voice Switch option in the software, so I presume that can be turned off...to your own peril. Also, if you choose a zone and or channel that is not programmed the radio will give a steady tone, like an error tone and then stop.

At this point I am pleased with the results, especially for less than $65 a radio. Only the encryption result was a surprise. If someone needs more information, I recommend downloading the software and look around. I will follow up with the range and repeater test.

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
WPXS472 said: The only service these could be legally used in would be Amateur.

alcahuete said: All incorrect. These operate in the US ISM band, and no license is required. The transmitters and receivers are regulated under Part 15. The 33cm band is allocated to amateur radio operators on a secondary basis (ISM is the primary user). I suppose you could use these radios under the provision of your amateur license, but it absolutely 100% not required.

WPXS472 said: I find your post a bit confusing. First, you state that my saying the only legal way to use these is with an Amateur license, is incorrect, then, at the end, you state that non frequency hopping mode would require an Amateur license. These are not spread spectrum radios, so I stand by my original statement. If you know of a section of Part 15 that allows license free use of THESE radios, please, please post it. I would be most interested in reading it.

alcahuete said: It is not confusing at all. Operating in the ISM band requires:

1) Frequency Hopping

or

2) Digital Transmission

Not both. You certainly can use both simultaneously, as Motorola does, but only one is required. If you use digital on these radios, you are covered under Part 15. If you use analog you need an amateur radio license. Pretty simple.

wpxs472 said: Look, don't take my word for it. Look up CFR47, part 15 and read for yourself. It is spelled out pretty plainly what is allowed. If it isn't listed as allowed, it isn't.

Wpxs472 added: From 47CFGR part 15 Quote:

alcahuete said:
Yes, you really need to read Part 15. It will tell you exactly what I listed above.

Wpxs472 said: Yes, I did, and it supports what I posted.

alcahuete said: Part 15 does not support what you posted. I paraphrased the relevant Part 15 sections in my post, and you said you were confused by it. In any event, I'm finished arguing that point.

OK. Wow! This reminds me of an old saying: “Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind’s made up.”

It seems alcahuete has his mind made up, and somehow neglected to read the next paragraph down.

The complete section is below. Part 15 isn’t easy reading, I know, and it is easy to miss things, especially when you don’t want to find them anyway.

Sorry for the long post.

§15.247 Operation within the bands 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz.
(a) Operation under the provisions of this Section is limited to frequency hopping and digitally modulated intentional radiators that comply with the following provisions:
(1) Frequency hopping systems shall have hopping channel carrier frequencies separated by a minimum of 25 kHz or the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel, whichever is greater. Alternatively, frequency hopping systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band may have hopping channel carrier frequencies that are separated by 25 kHz or two-thirds of the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel, whichever is greater, provided the systems operate with an output power no greater than 125 mW. The system shall hop to channel frequencies that are selected at the system hopping rate from a pseudo randomly ordered list of hopping frequencies. Each frequency must be used equally on the average by each transmitter. The system receivers shall have input bandwidths that match the hopping channel bandwidths of their corresponding transmitters and shall shift frequencies in synchronization with the transmitted signals.
(i) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: if the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is less than 250 kHz, the system shall use at least 50 hopping frequencies and the average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 20 second period; if the 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 250 kHz or greater, the system shall use at least 25 hopping frequencies and the average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 10 second period. The maximum allowed 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 500 kHz.
(ii) Frequency hopping systems operating in the 5725-5850 MHz band shall use at least 75 hopping frequencies. The maximum 20 dB bandwidth of the hopping channel is 1 MHz. The average time of occupancy on any frequency shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a 30 second period.
(iii) Frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band shall use at least 15 channels. The average time of occupancy on any channel shall not be greater than 0.4 seconds within a period of 0.4 seconds multiplied by the number of hopping channels employed. Frequency hopping systems may avoid or suppress transmissions on a particular hopping frequency provided that a minimum of 15 channels are used.
(b) The maximum peak conducted output power of the intentional radiator shall not exceed the following:
(1) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band employing at least 75 non-overlapping hopping channels, and all frequency hopping systems in the 5725-5850 MHz band: 1 watt. For all other frequency hopping systems in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band: 0.125 watts.
(2) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: 1 watt for systems employing at least 50 hopping channels; and, 0.25 watts for systems employing less than 50 hopping channels, but at least 25 hopping channels, as permitted under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section.
(3) For systems using digital modulation in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands: 1 Watt. As an alternative to a peak power measurement, compliance with the one Watt limit can be based on a measurement of the maximum conducted output power. Maximum Conducted Output Power is defined as the total transmit power delivered to all antennas and antenna elements averaged across all symbols in the signaling alphabet when the transmitter is operating at its maximum power control level. Power must be summed across all antennas and antenna elements. The average must not include any time intervals during which the transmitter is off or is transmitting at a reduced power level. If multiple modes of operation are possible (e.g., alternative modulation methods), the maximum conducted output power is the highest total transmit power occurring in any mode.
(4) The conducted output power limit specified in paragraph (b) of this section is based on the use of antennas with directional gains that do not exceed 6 dBi. Except as shown in paragraph (c) of this section, if transmitting antennas of directional gain greater than 6 dBi are used, the conducted output power from the intentional radiator shall be reduced below the stated values in paragraphs (b)(1), (b)(2), and (b)(3) of this section, as appropriate, by the amount in dB that the directional gain of the antenna exceeds 6 dBi.
(c) Operation with directional antenna gains greater than 6 dBi.
(1) Fixed point-to-point operation:
(i) Systems operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band that are used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations may employ transmitting antennas with directional gain greater than 6 dBi provided the maximum conducted output power of the intentional radiator is reduced by 1 dB for every 3 dB that the directional gain of the antenna exceeds 6 dBi.
(ii) Systems operating in the 5725-5850 MHz band that are used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations may employ transmitting antennas with directional gain greater than 6 dBi without any corresponding reduction in transmitter conducted output power.
(iii) Fixed, point-to-point operation, as used in paragraphs (c)(1)(i) and (c)(1)(ii) of this section, excludes the use of point-to-multipoint systems, omnidirectional applications, and multiple co-located intentional radiators transmitting the same information. The operator of the spread spectrum or digitally modulated intentional radiator or, if the equipment is professionally installed, the installer is responsible for ensuring that the system is used exclusively for fixed, point-to-point operations. The instruction manual furnished with the intentional radiator shall contain language in the installation instructions informing the operator and the installer of this responsibility.
(2) In addition to the provisions in paragraphs (b)(1), (b)(3), (b)(4) and (c)(1)(i) of this section, transmitters operating in the 2400-2483.5 MHz band that emit multiple directional beams, simultaneously or sequentially, for the purpose of directing signals to individual receivers or to groups of receivers provided the emissions comply with the following:
(i) Different information must be transmitted to each receiver.
(ii) If the transmitter employs an antenna system that emits multiple directional beams but does not do emit multiple directional beams simultaneously, the total output power conducted to the array or arrays that comprise the device, i.e., the sum of the power supplied to all antennas, antenna elements, staves, etc. and summed across all carriers or frequency channels, shall not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (b)(1) or (b)(3) of this section, as applicable. However, the total conducted output power shall be reduced by 1 dB below the specified limits for each 3 dB that the directional gain of the antenna/antenna array exceeds 6 dBi. The directional antenna gain shall be computed as follows:
(A) The directional gain shall be calculated as the sum of 10 log (number of array elements or staves) plus the directional gain of the element or stave having the highest gain.
(B) A lower value for the directional gain than that calculated in paragraph (c)(2)(ii)(A) of this section will be accepted if sufficient evidence is presented, e.g., due to shading of the array or coherence loss in the beamforming.
(iii) If a transmitter employs an antenna that operates simultaneously on multiple directional beams using the same or different frequency channels, the power supplied to each emission beam is subject to the power limit specified in paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section. If transmitted beams overlap, the power shall be reduced to ensure that their aggregate power does not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (c)(2)(ii) of this section. In addition, the aggregate power transmitted simultaneously on all beams shall not exceed the limit specified in paragraph (c)

I can't read any of this post. It's a mess. Took you a while to find 15.247. Thanks for proving my point. I'm sure you now see how this radio operates LEGALLY under Part 15.

n1das

vagrant,

Please post pics of them. This thread is worthless without pics LOL.

What is the FCC ID on them? Retevis "claims" they meet FCC Part 15 so there should be an FCC ID on them and we should be able to find it online. I have been unable to find an FCC ID for them. Without Part 15 certification, they cannot legally be imported into the USA or even advertised or offered for sale in the USA, per FCC Part 2 rules regarding the marketing of radio frequency devices. Part 2 covers the marketing rules for RF devices and Part 15 covers the technical rules for unlicensed RF devices.

The RT10 is not an FHSS radio since it operates in conventional narrowband DMR and analog modes. It therefore does not meet the requirements of 15.247. For a non-FHSS device operating in the 902-928MHz range, the Part 15 legal limit is much lower than 1W. These radios do not meet Part 15 at all.

They could be used for 900MHz Amateur but that assumes they first get into the USA legally. Without Part 15, they are technically not legal to import into the USA at all.

I can't help but think these radios may be intended for a different country region than the USA/Canada/Mexico. Are these radios possibly for Japan 900MHz?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The RT10 is not an FHSS radio since it operates in conventional narrowband DMR and analog modes. It therefore does not meet the requirements of 15.247. For a non-FHSS device operating in the 902-928MHz range, the Part 15 legal limit is much lower than 1W. These radios do not meet Part 15 at all.

It is not FHSS, but it does not need to be. 15.247 covers both FHSS (a 1) and "Digital Modulation Techniques (a 2)." DMR is a digital modulation technique, by definition. Radios that do both, like the DTR/DLR are called Hybrid Systems ( "For the purposes of this section, hybrid systems are those that employ a combination of both frequency hopping and digital modulation techniques." ). No doubt that analog on this radio is not legal under Part 15, because it does not use FHSS.

As far as the power:

For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: 1 watt for systems employing at least 50 hopping channels; and, 0.25 watts for systems employing less than 50 hopping channels, but at least 25 hopping channels, as permitted under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section.

For systems using digital modulation in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands: 1 Watt.

It meets the power requirements as well. 1 Watt is allowed for digital modulation. Does it have an actual FCC ID? I don't know. It has yet to be seen. If it does, it most certainly meets the Part 15 requirements best I can tell.

WPXS472

Glad to read about your testing. I swept one of the antennas with a nanovna, and it looked centered on 902/928. Checked one of the older, sleeve dipole antennas and the return loss was better, though over a more narrow frequency range. I am a little skeptical about testing portable radio antennas with a VNA because everything nearby can affect the readings. I didn't do extensive testing with encryption. The default keys had a lot of zeros in them, so I made up one of my own. Having a lot of zeros shouldn't make it less secure, it was just my inmagination, I think. I plan on doing more testing soon, as well as range testing, comparing them to Motorola MTX950s. I have to dig out some good batteries, find my RIB, and locate the RSS first. I live in a rural area with lots of woods and rolling hills. Bad country for 900 MHz propagation. There are a couple of places I have identified where it is particularly bad. I agree with your findings about analog. Sounds good. Not great, but good enough. I checked the PL deviation, and it looked about right to me. It had a good sine wave. I wanted to see if they produce a turn off sequence to reduce squelch bursts at the end of transmissions. Looking at the scope on the 8924C, it looks like they might have a turn off feature. When I released the PTT, the PL tone waveform changed briefly before disappearing. I looked like a frequency shift, but was probably a phase shift. I look forward to further reports. I found some things in the programming software that didn't make sense to me. Have you seen anything that you didn't understand?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Santa provided some pictures! As to an FCC ID...loading...loading...loading...loading. There is nothing on the radios, nor the boxes they were packaged in. Get 'em while you can. As to certification in Japan, or any other country, it is a mystery. ;)

Analog Repeater
They work fine with a nearby repeater. I believe it is a Quantar, but not positive. The repeater is about 25 miles away around 3500' ASL. I was in my house during the test with a wall in the way. I don't know much else about that repeater or its antenna at the moment. While they work with the repeater, there was some slight white noise, but I was definitely not straining to hear myself on the Motorola Spectra mobile I used to RX.

Power/Charging
The wall plugs handle 100-240V AC 50/60Hz. They output 5V at 1A.
The actual charging base handles the 5V/1A and outputs 8.4V at 400mA.
The charging base uses a USB connector, so a USB battery pack that will output 5V/1A should be able to use the charging stand direct in the field.

As to things I am unsure about in the software, what is Relay Transmission? It is under basic attributes and the options are numerals 1 - 5. Also on the Basic Information section, nothing appears for serial number, version date and firmware version after reading the radio. Well, there are some weird characters in there, but nothing discernible. Seems odd for it not to populate after a read.

I am unsure if the range testing/comparison with the DTR700 will be today, or later this week. I can tell you we will do the test in an urban environment. We will test from indoors, in vehicles and outdoors as well. Nothing too crazy, just general use one would use these radios for, considering the frequency. We will test analog as well, as we are both licensed.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge.

IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1828.jpg IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1830.jpg

Although titled as a review this thread is saturated with repetitive Part 15 compliance posts, which another thread was already discussing. Since this will continue as such, here is the only thing I found regarding Part 15. It was in the paper manual with the radios.
IMG_1831.jpg

Last edited:

n1das

It is not FHSS, but it does not need to be. 15.247 covers both FHSS (a 1) and "Digital Modulation Techniques (a 2)." DMR is a digital modulation technique, by definition. Radios that do both, like the DTR/DLR are called Hybrid Systems ( "For the purposes of this section, hybrid systems are those that employ a combination of both frequency hopping and digital modulation techniques." ). No doubt that analog on this radio is not legal under Part 15, because it does not use FHSS.

As far as the power:

For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: 1 watt for systems employing at least 50 hopping channels; and, 0.25 watts for systems employing less than 50 hopping channels, but at least 25 hopping channels, as permitted under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section.

For systems using digital modulation in the 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850 MHz bands: 1 Watt.

It meets the power requirements as well. 1 Watt is allowed for digital modulation. Does it have an actual FCC ID? I don't know. It has yet to be seen. If it does, it most certainly meets the Part 15 requirements best I can tell.

OK, so then how does digital modulation (DMR in this case) meet the minimum 6dB bandwidth requirement of at least 500kHz? DMR is narrow enough to fit in a conventional 12.5kHz spaced channel.

From 15.247:

I interpret the above as digital modulation without FHSS is allowed, provided the modulation is very "wide" to help spread out the energy. It appears that DMR does not meet this requirement.

I agree analog on this radio is not legal under Part 15 because it does not use FHSS.

Given that one or more items are not legal under Part 15, I don't see how Retevis can claim it meets Part 15 at all. Failing to meet a single item that is required is enough to completely knock it out of compliance. A manufacturer can't cherry pick which requirements to meet while ignoring others in order to be compliant and get Part 15 certified and be granted an FCC ID. We still have yet to see an FCC ID for it.

What a mess. Your move, Retevis.

If you are interested in these radios, get 'em while you can. I'll pass.

n1das

Santa provided some pictures! As to an FCC ID...loading...loading...loading...loading. There is nothing on the radios, nor the boxes they were packaged in. Get 'em while you can. As to certification in Japan, or any other country, it is a mystery. ;)

It is a mystery indeed regarding any certifications. I agree, get 'em while you can! :)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For amateur use I like them at this price. Sure, one may find an XTS2500 1 or 1.5 for under a $100, but you don't have to deal with any hex editing, not that it would need to be done more than once. Also, the ability to connect an external antenna is nice as I will use that. I think they would need to be part 97 in order to use an amplifier though. Still, 1W is plenty for my planned use at 900 MHz, with an external antenna providing a bit of gain at times.

sploits

No FCC application on fccid.io. Retevis applications are at https://fccid.io/2ASNS. If they submit one the FCCID will probably be 2ASNSRT10.

I'm surprised they aren't stamping the FCCID in the radio now anyways, my RT27V's had the FCCID on the back of the radio despite the FCCID not being listed at the time I bought them, though the application showed up later.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Who keeps rocking the Retevis RT10 boat! Settle down, everything is fine. It's fine. ;) Don't let those RFI bad dreams bother you. Just enjoy your sleep. :sleep:

KA9JYO

I found a different Retevis website that had links to the software, manual etc. (see below). I found the software straight forward and obviously channelized requiring a codeplug. No FPP here folks. The software is mostly pre populated with digital channels, with only four using analog and two of those either used CTCSS or DCS. The analog bandwidth setting allowed for 12.5 or 25k. Whether the radio actually can do both I don't know, but it is there in the software.

Power
You can use any power level you want, as long as it is High.

Encryption
Only available on digital mode channels.
Normal encryption is pre populated with four numeric key values
Enhanced encryption is pre populated with 32 numeric key values and one had alphanumeric.
I presume either Norm/Enha could be alphanumeric key values and I it appeared I could modify the keys directly. Whether it will save and the radio accept it is unknown.

Programmable buttons
It does have two buttons on the side that provide four options when using either a short, or long press on each one. These can be changed by the user such as VOX, Zone selection, Scan, etc.

Scan
Each channel can be set to scan, but I have a feeling when scan is enabled it will only scan through the channels selected in zone the radio is set to.

Frequencies
The highest frequency pre programmed is 927.025, leaving the 927.5 MHz call freq. more than likely free from Billy-Bob getting on there.

I just purchased a pair as I can use the digital mode with friends that don't have an amateur license, as well as see how well the encryption works, or not. Of course with my amateur license I can enjoy the analog side simplex or via a repeater. Now I just need a 100W amplifier and my 33cm Yagi to cook some hot dogs, as long as I ID every 10 minutes. :p

I was going to purchase some Motorola FHSS, but these radios cost much less as well as allowing me to use them for amateur as well. Still, we shall see what's what after they arrive in a week or so.

Range is a difficult thing to predict. I would think they would perform maybe a little less well than a conventional business radio under the same conditions due to the lower power output. They should work well through a repeater. Transmit and receive frequencies are programmed independently, meaning there isn't a fixed offset. They also are capable of using all of the most common PL and DPL codes. I don't really know about DMR operation, since I have never used it. I think they would probably work with other DMR radios. I have other 900 radios, so I can program one up on the same frequency and see how they sound through one of the other radios. I'll have to get back to you on that.
I know that they do not with any FHSS radios. I got 2 and they work great on DMR with encryption, very private. No license needed for 1 watt on ISM.

KA9JYO

Radios arrived, but no programming cable with either one. Also note that the listing on Amazon did not advise there would be one. I have not performed a range test to compare with the Motorola DTR700, so that is still to come along with analog testing via repeater.

Antenna
I swept the antennas and they both swept the same and under 2:1. I may source improved antennas after testing if the performance is not close to the DTR. Antennas are 6.5" (17cm) in length. Radio + Antenna is 27cm. (The Amazon and Retevis site note 22cm, which must be with the other smaller antenna size also found in photos of the product)

DMR + Encryption
Digital worked fine and sounded like I expected. It did not sound worse to me than other inexpensive DMR radios. Thinking further, it was not too bad, but this was simplex and not through a repeater. Audio was okay when using a scanner as well (TRX-1). The interesting part was during testing of the Normal and Enhanced encryption keys. The Normal setting uses four characters and worked fine. The TRX-1 would display the Group and respective Radio ID's and no audio was heard. When testing the Enhanced key it also showed the ID's, but at times the audio would come over. While mostly a hiss or garbled, it was at times intelligible! I will use the Normal key for encryption instead.

Analog
This worked as expected whether 12.5K or 25K of bandwidth on both TX and RX. Basically, the audio was lower when using 12.5K. I also tested it with a Motorola Spectra and the 25K wide setting provided louder and fuller audio, as expected. No problem hearing the Motorola as well.

Voice Announcement
This worked as expected advising of the Zone and or channel when changed. Yes, even when changing channels in a zone. The voice was clear and pleasant enough. I am not a fan of voice announcements and beeps and bops, but without a screen one needs a way to navigate. There is a Voice Switch option in the software, so I presume that can be turned off...to your own peril. Also, if you choose a zone and or channel that is not programmed the radio will give a steady tone, like an error tone and then stop.

At this point I am pleased with the results, especially for less than $65 a radio. Only the encryption result was a surprise. If someone needs more information, I recommend downloading the software and look around. I will follow up with the range and repeater test.

I own both DTR410 and Retevis RT10, about the same range 1-2 miles open terrain. The audio is better on the RT10 on DMR, I don't use analog anymore. For the money the rt10 is much better buy than DTR700 (6:1 ratio).

KA9JYO

OK, so then how does digital modulation (DMR in this case) meet the minimum 6dB bandwidth requirement of at least 500kHz? DMR is narrow enough to fit in a conventional 12.5kHz spaced channel.

From 15.247:

I interpret the above as digital modulation without FHSS is allowed, provided the modulation is very "wide" to help spread out the energy. It appears that DMR does not meet this requirement.

I agree analog on this radio is not legal under Part 15 because it does not use FHSS.

Given that one or more items are not legal under Part 15, I don't see how Retevis can claim it meets Part 15 at all. Failing to meet a single item that is required is enough to completely knock it out of compliance. A manufacturer can't cherry pick which requirements to meet while ignoring others in order to be compliant and get Part 15 certified and be granted an FCC ID. We still have yet to see an FCC ID for it.

What a mess. Your move, Retevis.

If you are interested in these radios, get 'em while you can. I'll pass.

I am trying to get 2 more, they are getting hard to get, can't find the on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.