My shack setup and tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
My setup and some explanations of what I did and why.

radio_desk_sm.jpg

Starting at the top of the pile, the speakers and mixer that I feed everything into. I *highly* recommend finding a multi-channel mixer and a set of computer speakers or a small amp and speakers to feed with it. It allows a ton of flexibility and sounds SO much better than internal speakers. The main gotcha is the cost of all the cables and connectors...they really start to add up.

The whole desk is made with 3/4" plywood so that it is plenty strong enough for all the load on it. I forgot to put casters on the desk, that would be one thing I'd do differently to do it all again. This sucker is not easy to move.

The dimensions of the desk are 60" W x 48" deep and is roughly kitchen counter height. The depth of the desk is the main attribute to point out. If you have the room for the depth, just plain do it. The depth gives you the ability to allow clearance behind your shelving for all your cable runs and allows you to move the shelving easily fore and aft to do work on the desk. Of course it also allows plenty of room to use the desk as a work table etc. This is my desk/radio desk/project bench/soldering station.

The shelving unit is free standing and has 8 nylon furniture glides on the bottom of it so it can be much more easily slid around while overhauling the wiring job.

There is roughly a full foot of free space behind the shelving before the desk meets the wall. Again to allow reaching back there for running cables. If you are the type who can't take looking at cables hanging, simply put a thin sheet of wood that can be removed across the back of the shelving unit to hide the cables from sight. I move things around so often it just doesn't bother me.

In the top of the desktop behind the shelving I cut multiple 2" holesaw holes to allow routing power cabling from the back left side from the DC and battery supplies under and to the far left rear of the desk.

Along the middle at the far back of the desk I cut a slot with 2" holesaw at either end and about 28" long or so. This is where all my RF lines go, my ground and all the coax and feeders. Makes moving cables or fishing new ones very easy.

The rear of the desk is fully open and in my case my passthrough panel for all my cables from inside to outside is through the wall under the desk.

On the left side is a standard Home Depot three drawer kitchen cabinet for general storage. I'm a big guy so the height of the desk works well for me...this may be too high for many and you'll need a chair that adjusts high enough to fit you.

Out of sight, the full width of the desk about a foot off the ground there is a very heavily reinforced shelf that runs the full width of the desk. I ran three strips of hardwood on edge along the bottom of this shelf, I can pretty much stand on it. This is the home for my 50A DC supply and the battery backup system I have. It also serves as general storage area as well. Due to the depth of the desk, it is well out of the way of my legs and feet.

Because of the height of the desk, the undermount keyboard arm is really perfect. I don't have to keep the top of the desk clear to use the mouse and keyboard if I have a project going. It slides in and out of the way when not in use too and is well higher than my knees thanks to the overall height of the desk.

In the center of the desk visible at the foot of my monitor is a white button. This is a pinball/video game momentary switch that I just drilled into the desktop. This is one of my station PTT switches for the various radios I have. I also have a foot switch in parallel with it. This gives me the option of the button with a hand free or a foot if I'm typing or working on something while I'm talking.

The foot switch is also wired into a Dow-key relay which happens to mute all my shack audio out of the mixer so when I TX using the foot switch it will mute all the background noise, my computer/music/scanners/HF/repeaters etc. that I generally have going at the same time.

The shelving unit itself is no magic, but I did go look up the largest radio or amp that I'd likely own and pre-dimensioned the cutouts to fit that gear. The very bottom left cubby where the TS-2000 is sitting as an example would fit with room for ventilation, the full sized FT-2000 yaesu rig or a TS-940.

The lower right cubby where the AL-80B amp sits doesn't show well in the pic, but I used a 3" holesaw and punched clear ventilation ports for the air intake and exhaust on the sides of the amp chassis.

One of my happier accidents is the top center shelf where the audio processor strip is. That shelf is removable where the others are fixed in place. As you can see it is very handy to undermount radios. Much easier to pull the shelf and mount the brackets that way. Undermounting mobiles saves a lot of space for other gear and makes them easy to see and use.

The boom mic was a hamfest special on the boom which was missing its base. To fix that and to better position the mic for the most flexibility, I used a simple piece of galvanized pipe threaded nipple about 14" long or so with a threaded flange to mount it to the desk. Raising up the pivot point of this mic allows it to easily clear things like the top of an opened laptop, bench power supply, soldering station etc..which frequently wind up underneath that mic on the left side.

Missing from the pic is a clamp on swing-arm cheap Ikea lamp that I clamp to the very top shelf on the left side. The room lighting is o.k. but doing any detail work, it's very handy to have a nice bright light for the work.

The only other note is that all of my power, the power strips, UPS unit, DC supply and all power routing for cables are along the far left side of the desk. Keeping audio, power and RF all routed as separately as you can manage is very helpful in cutting down noise and RFI issues in general. Many induced noise and RFI issues can be fixed very well with just a foot or so of distance between components.

My desk is ugly. Finishing it is not anything I care about but is easily done with plywood if one so chooses. The surface as you can see is a mess. This is from soldering things, solvents etc etc. Almost any finish I put on it will get chewed up anyway so it's just as easy to leave it bare wood. I may give it a sanding and put something like butcher's wax on it eventually just to seal it a bit more from the nastier stains.

I hope some of these ideas help for someone trying to figure out their own desk.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Nice setup. :)

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is all those loose wires, but still a nice setup. Good job :)

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd like to hear more about the audio processing that you're doing.

xmo

Thanks to kc2rgw and the many others who have taken the time to show us their shacks and offer suggestions and tips.

I am about to reconfigure mine and seeing what people are doing is always interesting. Even though everyone's situation is different, there is much that can be learned form the experiences of others.

N0BDW

Very nice setup!

Normally I'd have a couple points of feedback, but you already addressed them and said they don't bother you:

Personally I would have coated the visible surfaces of the desk in formic or otherwise
Your cable management seems a little lacking. Since you built all this (kudos, btw) it should be fairly easy to build in some cable management to keep that stuff out of sight

I dig the tux mug!! :D

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Yeah re the cables, to be totally honest, I could easily put some hooks on the back to arrange them. What happens is, about a week later, I pull something apart again. About every six months I wind up pulling half of it to clean it up again. Looks like hell for sure heh, but it's easier on the cables actually in my case not to have them tucked into wire loom etc.

I'm very ADD with my configurations.

For the audio processing, right now it's very simple. I just run a single channel Symetrix 528e processor I traded some gear for and the mic is a cheap CAD M177 condenser that I picked up on clearance. I was a soundman by trade for about 5 years. Using pro-audio gear is second nature to me and this Symetrix has all bases covered in one unit. It has phantom power for the mic, a mic pre-amp, a downward expander and compressor and three bands of nearly fully parametric EQ.

The downward expander could be looked at as an automatic volume off knob, a much more sophisticated VOX switch. With a sound over a given threshold, it 'opens' up and passes the sounds coming in through the mic. When you start to get near that threshold or below it, it 'clamps down' and essentially shuts off the audio. What this does is knock out background noise very effectively.

A 'gate' is similar but a gate is either on or off, a downward expander gradually tightens the gap and opens the gap to let the audio pass. It's much more natural on a voice than a noise gate is. This will actually mute a bit in-between syllables of words and between words. A gate won't suppress the background noise once open either, the downward expander will.

I can actually talk close to the mic with music playing, computer sounds and scanners going with very little to no interference to my audio that is transmitted. If I key up and don't speak, you will hear nothing at all even on FM or AM modes. I have to pass enough sound into the mic to 'open' the channel.

The compressor...it's complicated to explain but in a nutshell it decreases the difference in sound level from the softest to the loudest peak. The effect will vary wildly depending on how you balance the whole chain, but I can (though it sounds obnoxious) make a whisper sound at an equal level to a shout. This is effective for radio in a few ways.

If I'm speaking in a softer voice, say late night where I don't want to disturb people in the house, it will translate over the air as though you were listening right at my mouth. It also goes miles to reduce p-pops as it flattens the transient from wind noises or 'plosives' as they are called.

On SSB, compression vastly increases the efficiency and drive level of your signal as your voice is what is creating the drive power of the radio.

In general speech when applied in a nice even manner, it just plain makes things sound smoother and more intelligible.

The huge difference with the pro-audio compression vs say a speech compressor that is in most ham gear is that you don't have all the audible artifacts in the sound quality. I can apply very high levels of compression and you would hear if I turned it off, but not really notice while it was on. It sounds nothing like the horrible 'crunchy' speech processing inside most radio gear. All compression will create some artifacts, but with this unit the EQ follows the compressor so I can simply tweak that out of my signal and make it sound even more natural.

The parametric EQ is extremely powerful. So most people know about 1/3 octave fixed EQ's with the sliders, the way a parametric works is as follows. You have a frequency selector knob that picks the equivalent of which slider you want to adjust on a normal EQ. You then have a Q-width knob that determines how wide the influence from that center frequency will be....will it be just the one slider or will it be the next two adjoining or the next four. The change will be on the center with a graduated width of influence to it. The final knob is the level for either boosting or attenuating based on the first two settings. Basically the function of raising or lowering the sliders on a standard EQ.

To get the most natural sound over the air you have to understand how to apply all of this as a concept. EQ and compression are the things that differentiate a hack from a pro in sound engineering and are not something you can pick up a book and just 'learn'. You have to have some understanding of what you are doing, followed with a skilled ear to hear the results and even further a vision as to what you want to achieve. Lots of people know what they want to hear, very few know how to approach getting there. This is why on the air you hear people who sound like mud even though they have a few grand in studio level gear.

Each radio has a different input circuit and some even have different characteristics between FM and SSB modes when you switch. The only way to know what you really sound like while setting all this up is to transmit into a dummy load and use another radio to listen to yourself over the air.

It's a tricky thing to learn and even with my pro-audio background, applying it to radio equipment was a learning experience of its own.

I've used this rack channel and I've even run my audio through a computer soundcard and used software to process it. All a lot of fun to play with for sure. I prefer the simplicity of this channel strip though. The one thing I would love is the DEQ2496 from Behringer. It's a fully digital EQ and processor and the big advantage it has is memory pre-sets so that I could configure for each radio and mode that I want to work. This way when I swapped radios I could just pull up the pre-set and fly. Now I just know manually what I need to fiddle with to get close to the mark.

commscanaus

Excellent setup and description of what you have done/are doing.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

+1 for tidying up the wiring (split looming and cable ties) only to have to cut it all apart to either troubleshoot something or remove/install something new.
I tried to keep all audio cables together, along with DC power and coax. Works fine until you have to access something!

Also use the mixer idea here- 6 channels in all fed to a vintage ten band graphic EQ and a nice pair of Realistic Minimus 7's. I have a soft spot for 70's and 80's Radioshack branded stuff!
If something requires recording, a Psyclone source selector can switch 4 stereo inputs (or 8 if one radio per channel) via infra red remote to the input of the P.C. soundcard. No more patch panels and jumpers etc...and the source selector has a backlit LCD that you can assign a name to each input- so no guess work as to what is plugged in where.
Ground loops are removed by using audio isolation transformers on both input and output from the graphic and source selector.
Never miss an important transmission again!

Commscanaus.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Ahh yeah the Minimus 7 series, they were great solid speakers. Somewhere around here I have one of the minimus series small cube speakers they sold that was one of my first external speakers I used with a scanner actually.

I forgot to mention the speakers and amp here, though I did in another thread. They are the Dayton T-amp and speaker combo from parts Express. They aren't the highest quality but for the money they are quite good. Plenty loud enough so I can cover the whole floor of the house with scanner racket if I want to.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650

The advantage of the amp is that it runs on 12V DC so when my shack auto switches to battery power, the audio stays up.

Status
Not open for further replies.