N9JIG Rack Shack Redux for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Scott:

One of the things I have thought about here, based on one of your prior shacks, is to build an equipment closet behind the office. If I can convince the wife/CEO to allow me, I would build a false wall with a door leading to it. The room only needs to be big enough for me to walk in.

I would build the racks into the wall itself, have a couple electrical circuits and a good ground run to it. The computers could either be rackmounted as well or just placed in the closet with an HDMI and USB cable or two routed to the office.

Remote head radios like the IC7000 or WS1095 would be easier to access this way and I can store cables, parts etc in the closet.

I need to start working on the wife and get her on board with that...

Djbbail

That is one impressive setup, but I have to ask: How do you make sense of it all? I can't even listen to one scanner along with a broadcast radio without getting confused!:( Not being sarcastic, if there is some technique whereby one trains one's ears and brain to sort out multiple speech threads at the same time, I would be very interested in trying to learn it!
I have been listening to my local fire frequencies for years and if the tone is very quite, I trained my ears to pick it up. Recently, I have become a cadet in my local fire department and a call came in and I knew what call it was because of the tones. Also, if you are listening to multiple scanners, you can learn to pick up the background noise and "program" the sound of the background noise to the frequency or channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.