N9JIG Summer 2023 Shack

N9JIG

Sheriff
I know I have a problem. I change my shack more often than Will changes his undies. Since he bought new tighty-whities recently it was time for me to redo the shack again. So here goes!

First off the radios, this is RadioReference after all. Nothing new there, same radios, different cabinet. This time it is a new AudioRax flat-faced 10u cabinet. From the top down it includes:
  • AT-5888UV (remote head mounted in front of the 25A power supply) and a BCD996XT
  • SDS200 and a BCD996P2
  • Icom R8600 and 2 BCD536HP's
  • Icom IC-7300 and 2 BCD536HP's
  • To the left is my Icom IC-705 (set for quick removal for field use)
Inside the cabinet is an 8-port Stridsberg multicoupler, a USB hub and a 6-amp power supply for the scanners.

The desk is brand new. This is the SecretLabs Magnus ProXL sit-stand desk. It's big feature (and what attracted me) is the full width wire management tray along the back of the desk. This provides a well to stash wires, power strips and power bricks out of sight. While intended for gamers it works great for me.

The computers are the same as last time, an Intel Hades Canyon NUC for the Windows stuff and an M1Max MacBook Pro for my workstation, operating in Clamshell mode into a CalDigit TS4 dock. The three 27in gaming monitors are on a clamp-on pole mount. The far left one is dedicated to the Mac, the upper one to the NUC and the corner one can be switched to either as needed.

The chair is an LF Gaming "EXtreme" model. It is by far the the most expensive chair I ever bought, twice as much as the Herman Miller Aeron it replaced. It is however the most sturdy and comfortable office chair I have ever used. My son has had one for years and it looks and feels brand new. (I just realized I was sitting in it to take the pictures but believe me, it is there!

Those with good memories will notice that I no longer have the mixer in play here. I still have it but I decided to go back to individual control. This simplifies the operation and reduces the clutter and cable mess.

Now for the pictures:

Here is the overall shack.
DeskFront.jpeg

Here is the new cabinet with the radios:
CabinetFront.jpeg

The rear of the desk showing the wire tray on the rear of the desk:
DeskRear1.jpeg

Here is the rear of the cabinet on the workbench prior to relocation to installation in the office.

CabinetRear2.jpeg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks good as always. More recently your shacks have gotten a little more attainable for the rest of us vs the big tall server rack you had, etc.; that was awesome but felt 'out of reach' for many of us. This setup looks and feels more like something 'the rest of us' could do, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale but in general. Neat and orderly, too, of course. Inspirational!

I'm sure you've mentioned it in a previous thread before but what monitor arm setup is that?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looks good as always. More recently your shacks have gotten a little more attainable for the rest of us vs the big tall server rack you had, etc.; that was awesome but felt 'out of reach' for many of us. This setup looks and feels more like something 'the rest of us' could do, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale but in general. Neat and orderly, too, of course. Inspirational!

I'm sure you've mentioned it in a previous thread before but what monitor arm setup is that?

west-pac

Inside the cabinet is an 8-port Stridsberg multicoupler

Have you ever had any problems with your 8-port Stridsberg?

Originally I bought a 4-port, it worked great and I ran that for a while, then I decided I needed an additional 8-port. I bought an 8-port, it worked for a year and then went deaf. I sent it in and got it fixed under warranty shortly before the OM passed; then I noticed earlier this year it was deaf again.

Since then I've been wondering if it's even worth contacting them to get it fixed again, or if I should just cut my losses (pun intended) and throw it in the trash.

Meanwhile the 4-port is still working just fine, on its 3rd year.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Have you ever had any problems with your 8-port Stridsberg?

Originally I bought a 4-port, it worked great and I ran that for a while, then I decided I needed an additional 8-port. I bought an 8-port, it worked for a year and then went deaf. I sent it in and got it fixed under warranty shortly before the OM passed; then I noticed earlier this year it was deaf again.

Since then I've been wondering if it's even worth contacting them to get it fixed again, or if I should just cut my losses (pun intended) and throw it in the trash.

Meanwhile the 4-port is still working just fine, on its 3rd year.
There is a protection device (a SM diode) that is in line with the antenna input that pops if there is a too-high signal, such as a nearby transmitter. I have on occasion popped that and needed to send the multicoupler in for repair. Sometimes they were repaired for free due to the 3-year warranty but I have paid for a couple since they were too old for the warranty.

I have 7 or 8 multicouplers (4 8-ports and several different 4-ports) from Stridsberg, and have had them for a couple decades. Using them in my vehicles and in the home near transceivers this is an issue that I have to deal with. At this point I consider it as a cost on doing business. As a matter of fact I have 3 devices in for repair right now that are due back in a week or so.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You are right. I have definetly right-sized my shack to radios I actually use and interact with on a routine basis. I used to use a batch of radios for Fire Tone Out but since that is not used much in this area I reassigned those radios to Mil-Air. Once I got a handle on that situation I no longer needed the dozen or so radios I used for that.

I have rediscovered HF and have spent more time playing there recently. We are now working on our HOA to see about loosening up the outside antenna restrictions so that might improve on that situation.

N9JIG

Sheriff
A few tidbits I forgot to mention before:

With the SecretLabs desk's wire management tray I no longer need the under-desk cable racks, it really makes for a much cleaner set up. The antenna cables are sheathed in flexible 1.5 inch poly split-loom. This makes it a very clean installation. The desk came with some magnetically held metal sheaths but they were too small for the RG-8X cables I used.

I bought all-new custom-made patch cables from ABR with the proper ends so I can avoid adapters. I even got the one for the 705 with a right-angle BNC to dress the cable to the rear. As for the antennas, nothing has changed (yet) but we are working with the HOA to enable some outside antennas so that might change in the future. For now I have some hidden wire antennas on the roof, embedded in the clay tiles.

My desk actually arrived a few weeks ago and my stepson surprised me and set it all up for me while I was out for the day. He took my old L-shaped desk as he now needs more room than I.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
As for the antennas, nothing has changed (yet) but we are working with the HOA to enable some outside antennas so that might change in the future.

Keep us posted on the progress with the HOA. I suspect many would appreciate tips on dealing with them.

I’ve always thought that some who complain about their HOA might possibly take a wrong approach. Not all, of course, but some. The “You get more flies with honey” saying comes to mind.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
"Those with good memories will notice that I no longer have the mixer in play here. I still have it but I decided to go back to individual control. This simplifies the operation and reduces the clutter and cable mess."

Rich,
Great job. I absolutely do not know how I went so long without the Zetron Model 27, so much simpler than the Behringer Mixer. It is a lot of wires out of each unit remote or speaker output into the Model 27, but the simple ON OFF (Mute) buttons are a joy and only 2 Volumes to control. Maybe your "Next" Shack. :)

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
This is a great looking setup. I wanted to do the same thing and now I know what I need!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Beautiful setup. Do you track airplanes like for instance on Planeplotter, ADSBExchange or one of the other airplane tracking websites?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Beautiful setup. Do you track airplanes like for instance on Planeplotter, ADSBExchange or one of the other airplane tracking websites?
I do have an ADBS receiver but am not currently using it. I get pretty good coverage locally when I do use it.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I do have an ADBS receiver but am not currently using it. I get pretty good coverage locally when I do use it.

Nice. Any plans on new equipment for your current setup or upgrades?