Naa / nml vlf

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Here's a snapshot of the signals from USN stations NAA (24 kHz Cutler, ME), NLK (24.8 kHz Jim Creek, WA) and NML (25.2 kHz LaMour, ND), part of NATO's VLF Interoperable Submarine Broadcast System, logged tonight from Denver, CO.

Attachments

• NAA and NML snapshot 010509 0854z.jpg
    NAA and NML snapshot 010509 0854z.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,098
Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Nick,

Its an Alpha-Delta DX-SWL Sloper. I was also recieving the ISBS station in HI just below these on the band, but didn't get it in the screen shot. It was a good night for VLF here.

And it still hasn't warmed up enough here for me to make the changes you suggested for the antenna mount last time we talked! I'll post some more screen shots when I get that done

Thanks,

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Yeah sorry Mike I forgot that it was the Alpha antenna.

I was looking at your waterfall and that is pretty clean considering the freq range.

And yes, it has been good lower HF reception around here too. CHU is coming in at 30-40 over S9 most nights - even when it's raining.

I think the cold weather (i.e. dry) reduces long path interference.

I take it you're liking the SDR? :wink:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Loving it! And the best part is being mobile around the house with my laptop for control rather than slave to my desk. SpectraVue's network connection is definately a bonus.

Looking forward to the re-mount and grounding the down leg to see what improves.

I sure appreciate your help and advice!

SCPD

QRT
Yeah no problem.

Before you ground your antenna, be sure to take some baseline readings *just* before you change over. This way you can evaluate the new set up.

I was looking at buying the Perseus last year and I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

I do like the good'ole 'dial turning' when listening. A SDR device would make a nice secondary receiver though.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Before you ground your antenna, be sure to take some baseline readings *just* before you change over. This way you can evaluate the new set up.

Will do - I was thinking about using the US Time stations (5/10/15) since I seem to get GW reception only due to proximity to the xmitters in Ft. Collins.

I do like the good'ole 'dial turning' when listening. A SDR device would make a nice secondary receiver though.

I still have a DX-390 I use from time to time, but the SDR is nice for signal hunting.

SCPD

QRT
Yeah that should work okay. You might also use the Canadian time references (3330, 7850) as well.

DX-390?? The SDR will be a huge upgrade. Get yourself a decent stand-alone receiver! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.