Nashville Unidentified Federal Repeater - 170.7375 MHz

LFRfreak

I found this repeater as I was searching through the Federal VHF Band. Any traffic will likely be encrypted, but I'm going to monitor for a few days with my SDS100 to see if I can catch anything in the clear. I was able to catch a few split second data/link hits. Interesting that this appears to be a mixed mode P25/DMR site (if there is such a thing and my radio isn't acting up). Also, I thought NACs were just 3 characters... Any idea why this is different?
  • Data
    • P25
    • NAC: 290h
    • Sys ID: 44Bh
  • Link
    • P25
    • NAC: 301h
  • DMR
    • TGID: 0

ecps92

I found this repeater as I was searching through the Federal VHF Band. Any traffic will likely be encrypted, but I'm going to monitor for a few days with my SDS100 to see if I can catch anything in the clear. I was able to catch a few split second data/link hits. Interesting that this appears to be a mixed mode P25/DMR site (if there is such a thing and my radio isn't acting up). Also, I thought NACs were just 3 characters... Any idea why this is different?
  • Data
    • P25
    • NAC: 290h
    • Sys ID: 44Bh
  • Link
    • P25
    • NAC: 301h
  • DMR
    • TGID: 0
So let me get this straight, you are getting two different NAC's ?
$290 and $301 ? <<<-- another formating that is seen/observed for posting NACs

The Sys 448 points to being a Trunk, are you getting the Control channel ?

I highly doubt it was DMR

LFRfreak

So let me get this straight, you are getting two different NAC's ?
$290 and $301 ? <<<-- another formating that is seen/observed for posting NACs

The Sys 448 points to being a Trunk, are you getting the Control channel ?

I highly doubt it was DMR

That is correct. Check out these screenshots. I'm not getting any control channel, but the site is identifying with Morse every 10 minutes or so.

1000013430.png1000013431.png1000013432.png

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@ecps92 would a vote-scan system have a system ID and different NACs for different systems/radios connected to the system?

The lack of RIDs and the identifying with what OP says is morse code makes me think it might be, but I do not know much about vote-scan systems.

ecps92

@ecps92 would a vote-scan system have a system ID and different NACs for different systems/radios connected to the system?

The lack of RIDs and the identifying with what OP says is morse code makes me think it might be, but I do not know much about vote-scan systems.
Not that I've ever encountered, they are usually the same NAC and even with a funky RX [Voter site] those usually fail to a PL or DPL

I'm wondering if an image or overload. @RaleighGuy anything in the RRDB for Sys 44B?
and 95% of my finds on that freq have been the US Marshals Court Security Officers - but that would be $293 not $290

For the OP, try adjusting your IFX and see if it clears up a bit.

For $290 in Nashville try 171.6875 and Newbern 170.6750 - both unidentified agencies

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I see your location says Mt Juliet, is that where your getting the signal? I’m 3 miles from center of downtown Nashville and that freq, 170.7375 is deader than dead? It is 2100 local time. No data signal.

LFRfreak

Not that I've ever encountered, they are usually the same NAC and even with a funky RX [Voter site] those usually fail to a PL or DPL

I'm wondering if an image or overload. @RaleighGuy anything in the RRDB for Sys 44B?
and 95% of my finds on that freq have been the US Marshals Court Security Officers - but that would be $293 not $290

For $290 in Nashville try 171.6875 and Newbern 170.6750 - both unidentified agencies
I caught an instantaneous P25 data burst this evening on 171.6875 with an NAC of 301. I didn't hear this site broadcast its callsign like the other one.
I see your location says Mt Juliet, is that where your getting the signal? I’m 3 miles from center of downtown Nashville and that freq, 170.7375 is deader than dead? It is 2100 local time. No data signal.
Yes, I received the signal in Mt Juliet with an RSSI around 100. However, I haven't heard it at all this evening. They must have noticed talking about them. Lol

Army Corps of Engineers Percy Priest
Interesting... Have you heard any traffic on it?

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee

Something I don't hear you guys talking about enough in here is the electromagnetic conditions. TN has been washed with a ton of solar activity this year. Lot of strange behavior results. Hell, the aurora reached us for once in how long??

When I was a kid, tropospheric ducting was an occasional problem, but digital wasn't really a thing. Now with cheap resonant antennas and front ends that intel platforms could only touch 40 years ago, I expect there to be a lot more in the way of spurious catches. Kind of surprised that birdies still exist though.

No help on that specific fq though. I looked through a few groups I know have bootlegged that. And, I have an entry from the 90's where the court marshals in knoxville had that in a base radio. Would have been analog and DES though. (Shrugs)

Edit to correct autocorrect

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I caught an instantaneous P25 data burst this evening on 171.6875 with an NAC of 301. I didn't hear this site broadcast its callsign like the other one.

Yes, I received the signal in Mt Juliet with an RSSI around 100. However, I haven't heard it at all this evening. They must have noticed talking about them. Lol

Interesting... Have you heard any traffic on it?
I have in the past. I used to live right by there. I have moved closer to the City and dont monitor them as much