National Weather Service on 800mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fmatthews862

Hi all.......I've been involved in fire/ems and EMA for years but am new to scanning. While in my local EMA office I was monitoring a broadcast from the NWS offices in Birmingham, Tallahassee and Atlanta. They were discussing the front that approached on New Years. I was told that it was on 800mhz. I was monitoring it on a Southern Linc base radio. Does anyone have any info on this. I would like to be able to monitor it if possible. Thanks !!

kc8gpd

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You may find this interesting.....

from... http://www.batlabs.com/astrosab.html

VSELP, IMBE and iDEN

iDen is VSELP based. It allows for up to 6:1 compression using TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access).

We have reason to believe that TDMA decoding is a built-in function of the Astro hardware, part of the modulation scheme. Although, this information is not documented in the software or mentioned in the service manuals (we are still trying to confirm all this for sure).

We have been told that there may be able to monitor iDEN radio traffic using an Astro Saber.

What you need to do is take a VSELP Astro of the appropriate band and cram an IMBE codeplug into it (using Lab or whatever).

The theory behind this being that you should be able to use the "digital squelch" options of the codeplug, along with the VSELP hardware to monitor the traffic.

We have no idea if this works for sure or not, but hey, you never know!.

Status
Not open for further replies.