Navasota/Grimes Co

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I just noticed that a Navasota 800 MHz site was added to TxWARN, site 1.46. Its in the database for anyone that is in the area and wants to monitor Navasota PD/FD. I would imagine that since they are no longer relying on hitting Anderson, Millican or Washington towers that radio traffic for Navasota will all but diminish on those surrounding towers. Figured they would eventually come around to adding a tower there now that they are finally pushing 10K on population.

KG1ADP

Moto
Premium Subscriber
Yes the coverage was very spotty in the city of Navasota on handheld and it would constantly switch towers between Milican and LCRA Sites. The NAV FD would not switch to it full time without their being a tower put in. I have done testing and it has AWESOME coverage now that they put it in. it is 400' in the air

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I had always wondered how in building coverage was in Navasota and how long it would take them to get their own tower. They’ve come a long way from thirty seven one eighty👀

KF5ARD

Yes the coverage was very spotty in the city of Navasota on handheld and it would constantly switch towers between Milican and LCRA Sites. The NAV FD would not switch to it full time without their being a tower put in. I have done testing and it has AWESOME coverage now that they put it in. it is 400' in the air
Navasota Fire has been full time on the system for some time, VHF is for paging only. Portable coverage outdoors was just fine. The tower the site is on is no where close to 400', good speculation but incorrect information.

@ rattlerbb01 - They have definitely come a long way with their communications since we were kids. I do remember being in Louisiana 1 time and we could hear a call being toned out on 37.180 for Navasota Fire on Dad's 100W mobile.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
37.180. one of the original ' interoperability' channels. lol

KG1ADP

Moto
Premium Subscriber
Navasota Fire has been full time on the system for some time, VHF is for paging only. Portable coverage outdoors was just fine. The tower the site is on is no where close to 400', good speculation but incorrect information.

@ rattlerbb01 - They have definitely come a long way with their communications since we were kids. I do remember being in Louisiana 1 time and we could hear a call being toned out on 37.180 for Navasota Fire on Dad's 100W mobile.
What is it at then? Was it ever planned to be at 400' and it just didnt get put at 400'?

TexasRadioMan77

Premium Subscriber
Evan are you sure it's at 400? Your original statement sounded somewhat authoritative on the antenna placement... lol

TexasRadioMan77

Premium Subscriber
But seriously, someone told me that it's a really great site really close to town, not too high to put the entire city under the umbrella of the site, because 400' would definitely not have the desired effect for a site that close to town, and I also heard it's working rather well... Y'all will still most likely continue to hear Navasota talkgroups on the adjacent sites just due to roaming and such though.

KG1ADP

Moto
Premium Subscriber
There is no doubt the site is working flawlessly. It’s got good coverage.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
It was wild, a good free for all back then, and my folks can tell a lot of stories. I was too young to remember when they swapped to 154.430 but I was a volunteer when they got the repeater at MidSouth’s tower. Mom was dispatching at NPD when they first went to VHF, and that was a little before I was born.

starwtc

Camped at lake Somerville this spring and heard them just fine. Don't remember what tower I was on (get 3 in that area) but I'll be there again
in September if COE don't close the campground due to flooding!