Nc Shp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghaymond5234

I realize they are using the Viper in areas. But in the Wilkes county area, What or how do I find out the frequincies they use. Have had no luck with what I found on the site to receive anything except Irdell County stuff. Did I mention also I am a newbie...

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
VHF Lo band is still the primary means of communication in most areas for the NCHP. Unless you have a good VHF lo band antenna your reception will be pretty limited. And don't forget that the NCHP comms are direct and split. There are no low band repeaters. The mobiles and base Tx on different freqs. The RR data is up to date and very accurate. If you want to hear more you should probaly concentrate on your antenna system. Even if you have a VIPER control channel signal reception of comms will be rare if your area is like mine.

Jon
N4ZVY

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
There's a couple of ways to look for the frequency information in the FCC's ULS database.

You can do a query of all State of North Carolina licenses within the "YF" service, which seems to cover almost all the Viper trunked site licenses within the state.

You can also do a similar service query geographically, using the coordinates of your listening location, searching out to 30-40 (or whatever value you choose) miles.

Keep in mind that a site doesn't need to be in your county to possibly repeat traffic from your area. If a Viper radio monitoring your district talkgroup is affiliated with the site in Mount Airy, Sparta, etc., that site will air your district channel.

WQDE987 YF NCHP F Moravian Falls Wilkes
866.2500 866.8625 867.2250 867.7625 868.7500
WQEQ547 YF NCHP F Sparta Alleghany Green Mountain 866.3875 866.8875 867.5625 867.9750 868.7750
I cannot tell you whether either of the above sites have been reported as "on."

Listen to each of the five frequencies - in conventional mode - for the sound of a Motorola control channel. If you hear the control channel buzz, program the frequency in a scanner, using control-channel-only mode, and see what you hear.

al_wilkes

Jeff,
Right now (Saturday night, 6:40PM) 868.750 MHz sounds like the control channel for Wilkes SHP. Can I expect to receive anything with my 780XLT, or will this require a digital-capable scanner?
Thank you,
Albert

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Hi, Albert.

I should have checked before posting this morning ... the Viper database on RR indicates the site is "on," and 868.750 is the primary control channel.

Here's a link to the information. Scroll down the page to see the individual talkgroups. Those marked with mode "A" are analog, so you would be able to listen to the comms. Those marked with "D" are digital, and "E" means encrypted.

So, yes, put the 780 to good use !

al_wilkes

Jeff,
No link was seen on your last post.
For VIPER SHP on Pores Knob, I've programmed my 780 using "control channel only mode", w/ trunk data as follows: Motorola Type-2, Plan 2. Correct?
Thank you again,
Albert

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
al_wilkes said:
Jeff,
No link was seen on your last post.
For VIPER SHP on Pores Knob, I've programmed my 780 using "control channel only mode", w/ trunk data as follows: Motorola Type-2, Plan 2. Correct?
Thank you again,
Albert

You are correct.....and please let us know if you come across anything new :)

Ghaymond5234

Ok so with a BC246T can I get the NCHP or do I need yet something else to get them. Im learning slowly, To slow for self.LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.