Need Etrunker Setup help ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am trying to run Etrunker in XP SP2 .. I know run it from DOS.
Yes .. I can run it in a USB dos stick .. and it runs fine. But I would like network access to my Windows 7 machine and the ability to run Etrunker from that machine.

But I can run .. Slicer.exe from XP (the performance of Slicer is identical under XP as it is in DOS. I get virtually the same types of numbers) just fine so I am getting data from my serial port. But .. Etrunker just sits there .. no matter what I have tried. I am pretty sure that at some time in the past I did run Etrunker from that very same machine. But not sure if I did have the SP2 installed.

So tips would be appreciated. I have already tried the instructions at per the "install in XP" pdf in the Yahoo Trunker forum. No success.

So .. I think I am the last person on the planet running this program ... but it would be appreciated if some one had any ideas.

Just for some info ... here is my config.

I have slicer on com 1 .. CTS is active. And slicer is working on that port.

I have etrunk.txt file in Etrunk folder .. with etrunker variables such as comport etc that Etrunker needs. I have User Environment variable TRACKENV in XP pointing to that Etrunk.txt file

I understand that XP doesn't use the Autoexec.bat file .. in the root ? and have even tried editing the autoexec.nt file .. all with no success.

It is almost like the variables are not being found ... ?

I am at a loss, I thought it was the serial port .. but I can run Slicer just fine.
I also cannot run Edump. It just sits there .. and doesn't even get to the main screen.

Thanks ..
Kevin

SCPD

QRT
I am making progress .. I changed the Etrunker exe to work without any TRACKSLICER and TRACKSCAN variables, just defaulted them .. and the program just doesn't need that part of it anymore. So that is one less thing to configure.

But .. installing Windows XP as that is probably the only descent OS that I can network and also run Etrunker (others have succeeded at running it on XP so I think I can get it to work) within the OS as fast as running it in Dos. I determined that running Windows 95 OSR2 .. I was able to run it just as fast as in Dos 6.22. I am ok with a bit of a performance hit from the OS .. cause it is running on a fast computer and it should be fine.

Really .. the biggest issue was networking the computer .. as I hate having the transfer the files onto the USB stick. I can now do that by running a batch file.

Oh .. and I know of at least one person on the planet other than me that still runs Etrunker. I would love to hear from you .. if you do too, respond to this thread and say hi.

Thanks
Kevin

SCPD

QRT
No idea how or why .. but it is working fine under XP now.

Yes .. it is a bit slower than under DOS, but having the networking capability with my Windoes 7 machine where I do my Etrunker changes. That is priceless, no more transferring files by USB. It does work better running from the hard drive compared to the USB stick. (my version is nothing like the ver 3.8.3 version) and I have about 7000 radios identified so going to something else is not an option.

I am getting about 96-98% accuracy .. so not too bad for running under a more modern OS.

Further .. to my comment on my above post .. it is considerably slower under XP than a regular DOS based OS.

Thanks
Kevin

SCPD

QRT
Well it was good for a few hours .. but I have noticed an issue when running under XP .. and well I cannot get it to work at all under XP now.

It was not controlling the 2nd scanner .. even the original 3.8.3 version was not doing it. So .. something is up. I think it is my slicer and how it is built. I read on the Yahoo group about a wire that has to be cut to have the program work under XP.

That testing is a task for tomorrow.

But it works fine under DOS.

The mystery continues.

SCPD

QRT
Well ... new computer. I have given up on running Etrunker on anything but DOS. Yes .. I know, that is how it is designed.

But it is running on my Duo Core 2.33 GHz machine (my old computer and now my Etrunker pc)... and it screams. It is amazing that it will run on a computer that was not even thought about when Etrunker was made.

So .. good things. My Etrunker is hugely modified .. and why I will not run Unitrunker like everyone else.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Not sure and definitely not recently .. but probably did at one time.

But I know that in the past I did have Etrunker working in XP. I just cannot seem to duplicate it.

This is only an issue as my Etrunker development machine is not the same machine as my Etrunker production machine. So ... I have to transfer the exe .. and used to use a USB stick. But now they are networked (Windows 8 with a Windows 7 / DOS machine).. and that is much better.

I would just like to run the .exe on the same machine as my development. I know I could with a reboot .. but that is a pain. I even tried Virtualbox / DosBox.. and couldn't get any data. My only solution was to reboot into DOS.

And .. to complicate things, I only have 1 real good slicer and would have to share that between the 2 machines for it to be workable.

So .. now I just make my changes, transfer by the network .. and run.

Fortunately there are very few changes these days .. as that seems to go in spurts when I think of something that I can do to improve the program. In fact lately I have been removing features that I did many years ago .. and added some features that really make it much nicer.

Mostly .. recently I added the ability to follow an unidentified radio .. where ever they affiliate or transmit. And .. the controlled 2nd scanner just follows them where ever they go. Much better than manually trying to do it. Fortunately there are very very few of these radios.

But mostly .. my reason for using Etrunker and nothing else is that I have identified over 6000 radios and when I looked at Unitrunker there was no import feature from Etrunker. Not sure if that is the case now ?

But mostly .. the ability for me to do my own changes is a big thing and why I will probably not change.

Besides .. DOS is fast but yes very old school and eventually I will just be unable to make it run as the pc's get faster and faster. I have not tried it on my new pc, but I suspect that it will not run. I may try that tomorrow .. as I will just run it off my USB stick.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.