Need help identifying PD Unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafd55

Recently came across a white unmarked van at the NYSP Academy with either a Municipal or official use license plate and a vanity plate with the number 918. I know it's a long shot, it also had about 5 antennas of various bandwidths.

mlmummert

PA municipal plates are blue and white with the letters MG and the rest numbers. PA plates for state vehicles are blue and white, read "official use only" and have the letters PA with the rest numbers. There is no such thing as a vanity plate with those two types of plates.

KB7MIB

He may not be referring to an official state issue vanity plate. It may be a plate that was made by the agency/department in house, that has the unit number "918" and nothing else on it.
I've seen plates like these on some ambulances out here.

John
Peoria, AZ

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
PA municipal plates are blue and white with the letters MG and the rest numbers. PA plates for state vehicles are blue and white, read "official use only" and have the letters PA with the rest numbers. There is no such thing as a vanity plate with those two types of plates.

The "municipal" plates can have another letter in the mix, they've issued so many over the years they had to start mixing other letters in, they will say Municipal on top and Pennsylvania on the bottom. This plate is for local government use. It's also on any vehicle the municipality owns, not just police vehicles. The MG can be in the first two or last two positions on the plate.

pamunicipal.jpg

MG5.jpg

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
The PA "Official Use" tag is used only on state owned vehicles and unlike every other vehicle in PA which only requires one tag, they have a plate on the front and rear of the vehicle.

Pennsylvania_official_use_license_plate_PA-0500A.jpg

Official_29015-PA.jpg

mlmummert

Ah yes I forgot about that one extra letter that has started to creep in.

Also most of these plates are blue with white letters but the old ones were white with blue letters. The older white plates are pretty rare anymore but do exist.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
Ah yes I forgot about that one extra letter that has started to creep in.

Also most of these plates are blue with white letters but the old ones were white with blue letters. The older white plates are pretty rare anymore but do exist.

Yea I've seen a white plate or two still around, for the most part on an old streets department vehicle like a trash truck or dump truck. On those plates the Pennsylvania is at the top and Municipal/Official Use on the bottom.

MG-90370_Clayton.JPG

PA2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.