I need to know what type of unit to by
How to program

I thank you in advance.
God bless

Louanne

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
Lee County VFD's still primarily use VHF which you can find the frequencies here

Law enforcment agencies are switching to the GATRRS digital radio system soon, so you may want a digital capable scanner. Radio Shack and Unident both have excellent scanners and in my opinion, as a new scanner user, I would recommend the Uniden Home Patrol-1 as a good starter scanner. You can find the website here

lou512

Thank you very much
The newer system is not VHF?
To listen to the vhf what would
I need now
and again thank you so very much

louanne

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Louanne,

All of the current scanners monitor analog transmissions, and for the most part, all monitor the VHF band, as well as many other bands (bands= ranges of frequencies, in this case the VHF public safety band is about 151-160 MHz). Lee County VFD basically uses a simple radio repeater, so think if a repeater as a "channel" for the sake of ease.

Aaron mentioned the GATRRS digital trunking system, which is a little out of the scope of discussion here, and should probably be saved for a later discussion, when a good foundation of knowledge is established. Just know, it isn't there yet, and it would take a little time to implement. In the meantime, a conventional analog scanner would serve well, though some agencies (like SO and Giddings PD) use a trunking system. If you'd like to listen to them, and not just the VFD, then we should discuss this a little more.

Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.