Need HELP programming a RS PRO-2052 scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebo57

Hi all, newbie here. To be honest, I joined hoping to be able to find someone fluent in programming RS PRO-2052 scanners who could help me out. To tell the story, the scanner is for my 86 yr old shut in mom who has always had a scanner to keep up with things around the county we lived in. She started out with one of those old Regency scanners that you had to buy the crystals for, those things were EASY to program lol. Anyway, her current scanner RS PRO-2032 doesn't pick up much anymore because the county she is in changed their transmission equipment. So, I recently picked up a RS PRO-2052 trunking scanner hoping it will pick up a few frequencies. I realize this will not get digital encrypted stuff, but if it will pick a few things on Fire, EMS, and/or some police, that is better than nothing and she will be happy. I picked up this PRO-2052 at the flea market for $5, so if it doesn't work any better, then I haven't lost much lol.

So, here comes the pitch... Is there anyone who could help me get this thing programmed??? I have ZERO experience with trying to program them, and with the instruction book being about 40 pages long, I really don't want to learn how (I am 60, btw). My mom would greatly appreciate it. :) She lives in Union county of South Carolina (29379), btw. If there was someone in the state, I would be willing to bring it to you and let you program it for me, for a reasonable fee. I actually live in the Columbia area myself. Let me know if you can help out. Thanks!

wtp

if it is this system

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2356

it looks like the local stuff is all conventional.

also the easy to read manual is here

Easier to Read Pro 2052 Scanner Manual

1. In Manual Mode, enter the channel number where you want to program the frequency then press MANUAL to advance to the channel.
2. Use the number keys and decimal point key to enter the frequency you want to store.
3. Press E to store the frequency into the channel.
4. To Program the next channel in sequence, press MANUAL, which advances to the next channel. Return to step 2. To program any other channel, return to step 1.
Press MANUAL to exit programming.

Last edited:

kebo57

re: Need help programming a RS PRO-2052 scanner!

or would you need really specific instructions ?

I had actually found those websites with google so I was already a bit familiar with them. However, I was actually hoping to find someone close by that could program it for me. If I can't find someone, then I will have to attempt it myself. Why do they have to make them so complicated??? :)

wtp

the 2052 is easy

it really is just type the number/frequency and hit enter.
it does not have alpha tagging, so no extra typing !
the only thing you might do is to write down the frequency and who it is.
the two radios are almost the same for what is picked up.
the 2052 gets 29 to 30 179 to 380 and 1240 to 1300, no cops there. military air does help.a little.
what county is she in ?

Last edited:

kebo57

Channel trunking?

it really is just type the number/frequency and hit enter.
it does not have alpha tagging, so no extra typing !
the only thing you might do is to write down the frequency and who it is.

Make it sound simple, right? :) But what about the channel trunking? Do I need to worry about that? Or is that something it does automatically?

wtp

trunking is different

the conversation changes with every transmission to a new frequency.
the problem is that the 2032 did not do trunking and the 2052 does not do rebanding.
that is a trunking thing in the 800 band.

it could depend on the county she is in. the 2052 could if the frequencies are right.
so, could you tell me what county she is in ?

Last edited:

kebo57

the conversation changes with every transmission to a new frequency.
the problem is that the 2032 did not do trunking and the 2052 does not do rebanding.
that is a trunking thing in the 800 band.

it could depend on the county she is in. the 2052 could if the frequencies are right.
so, could you tell me what county she is in ?

The location is in my OP. :) Thanks!

Nasby

Make it sound simple, right? :) But what about the channel trunking? Do I need to worry about that? Or is that something it does automatically?

Your scanner would not cover the trunking system in her area (Palmetto P25) so no need to even worry about trunking.

It really is quite simple to program that scanner. Just go down the list of agencies and enter the frequencies by following the easy steps that the others have listed.

You are very fortunate that the area you are interested in scanning still uses basic, analog frequencies that don't require a much more expensive and more complicated digital scanner to monitor.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Other than SC Highway Patrol, there are no agencies in Union County that regularly use the Palmetto 800 trunked radio system. Almost all day to day public safety operations are on VHF conventional. The 2032 and 2052 should be capable of receiving those signals. It's possible some have changed to a digital model like DMR, but I'm not aware of any such change and it hasn't been submitted to the RR database. Programming these scanners should be a straight-forward, relatively simple process.

wtp

ok i see it, it was late

if you are two counties away and program the radio you should not be able to hear them.
did you look at the database here ?
hover over the word database and then go to what you want.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2356
for a shortcut.
154.445 154.265
155.865 155.52
46.44 151.625
154.57 155.175
155.34 155.43
153.74 155.82
159.12 154.54
453.15 155.01
153.59 154.0475
and there they are all in one list to make it really easy.
you are still a newbie and soon you can send and receive a personal message.
at that point i could send really step by step to program it.
it really is an old radio as in just type in the frequencies and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.