Need help setting up scanner feed on a Raspi3

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3MRK

I wanted to put our club's VHF repeater on Broadcastify. I attempted this with the Raspi, but couldnt get it to work, so I tried it on my Windows PC and it works fine.
I really would like to run this on a Raspi3 24/7.
I know very little about Linux and havent fooled around with a Raspi for a while.
I'm trying to get Darkice to run the feed and I have a feeling I'm not understanding the instructions, mainly the cfg file modifications.
Is there anyone that can help me out?
Thanks
Mark
K3MRK

K3MRK

I did use the set up guide. I should probably be more specific as to where I think I'm having problems.
in the Darkice config file, it asks for a name. Is this my feed number? Somewhere I saw to put "source" as the name. I tried both. Darkice does seem to be starting. I'm not running Buster Lite.
Is the password the one that was assigned to me by Broadcastify when they approved the feed?

jimcob2

Premium Subscriber
Did you solve your problem yet?
In my feed, the "Name" field in the darkice.cfg file was just a string describing my feed; I'm not aware of it having to be something specific.
The "password" and "mountPoint" parameters are what Broadcastify sent you via email.

As long as you're still setting up your Pi, make sure update your OS to the latest and greatest so you have all of the bug and security fixes first.

Here is another that I figured out the hard way -- for some reason Darkice doesn't start properly (for me) the first time, so I always end up stopping it and starting it a second time every time I reboot. Don't know why.

In any case you can check to see if Darkice is running properly using:
systemctl status darkice1.service

You need to see "active (running)" in the resulting output, e.g.:
Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-03-12 03:17:55 GMT; 20min ago

If not, then:
sudo service darkice1 stop
(wait a few seconds)
sudo service darkice1 start

Then try the status again.

DC31

Feed Provider
Try to simplify things a bit for troubleshooting. Don’t try to start it as a service. Just type darkice at the command prompt. Copy and paste in a post here what that command returns.

DC31

Feed Provider
It will return something that looks similar to this.242B67D8-54D3-42F6-A6E0-CF478212FC12.jpeg

You can safely ignore the bit about POSIX and running as super-user.

DC31

Feed Provider
Here is what the icecast section of my darkice.cfg looks like. Note that there is no slash in the mount point. Name and description are meaningless. Bcfy uses your data from when you set up the feed with them.

Attachments

• darkice.txt
    867 bytes · Views: 5

K3MRK

Thank you!
all it took was a stop and start.
everything looks good.
I really appreciate your guidance.

There is a pretty bad hum on my feed. I'm plugged into a scanner for now, do you think thats where its coming from? I plan to switch radios. I just need to program a Moto mobile.
Thanks again!

Ubbe

There is a pretty bad hum on my feed. I'm plugged into a scanner for now, do you think thats where its coming from?
If it is a modern scanner that use a BTL speaker amplifier that has a "floating" output that cannot be grounded, then it is probably that and needs a ground isolation transformer, that's someting like a $5 purchase.

/Ubbe

K3MRK

If it is a modern scanner that use a BTL speaker amplifier that has a "floating" output that cannot be grounded, then it is probably that and needs a ground isolation transformer, that's someting like a $5 purchase.

/Ubbe
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that is the issue. I need to put a better radio on it. I've got plenty. Right now I'm dealing with a new major HF RFI issue that has me stumped. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.