Need help Understanding what I'm doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan0111

This is going to be a very amateur post but I'm having trouble programming my Pro-106 for the Morehead City NC area. I know how to work the buttons and navigate the programmer but I'm just not understanding what I reading on the "Database" section to accurately program my scanner. Maybe it won't even work with what I'm dealing with but I was wondering if someone can maybe point me in the right directions. Not sure what "type" to choose. I've waited every youtube vid I can find but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and thank you for any help.

Brendan

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1902

Last edited:

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Hello. Looks like carteret county is on the nc viper system. On the link you posted scroll to the bottom of the page and select VIPER statewide. The sites for carteret co will be in section 3. Scroll to carteret co to find the talkgroups. Program the system as P25 automatic. Also you can go to the website marks scanners for an easy to read pro-106 manual. It will give you step by step instructions to program your scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Some details would help. Are you using software or trying to enter the frequencies manually? I use the Butel software with my 106 with very good success, and there are other good programs available. Your link indicates all analog VHF for the cities and a Phase 1 statewide system Although the 106 is an older generation radio, it is still useful for P25 phase 1 and most analog frequencies. I could send you a sample code plug, but you would need the Butel software and cable to upload it to the radio. This link http://forums.radioreference.com/north-carolina-radio-discussion-forum/293757-viper-pro-106-a.html might help you to find someone locally.

Brendan0111

Thank you for both replies. I'm entering the frequencies manually, not a big deal I just can get anything to talk. So, when you say VHF, I would need to change it to VHF instead of P25 auto right? Maybe I can just find someone local to program for me?

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
The vhf frequencies you would program as conventional. (program, new, conv), When you put these in there is only a setting for the squelch mode so you should only have to enter the frequency, default is squelch search. To program a trunked system (program, new, tgrp), this is where you would program the viper system. Morehead city and all the county services are on the viper network so programming in the conventional frequencies you may not hear anything if they have fully switched to viper. Most counties still have their conventional but use viper only although some will simulcast on the conventional. You may be programming the scanner correctly but nothing being broadcast.

Brendan0111

Ok. I like your thought on it just being kind of quiet. If I program the Viper stuff , there are four for the Carteret area. Do I need to enter all of them? I'm getting some conversation on the Conv side, nothing on the Viper. Thank you for your help. I'm being dragged to lunch now so I'll have to work on it later.

Thanks again.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
You can program the site that is close to you if you are just going to use around the home but if you are going to have it with you when you go out you would need to put in all the sites. Probably the best way to program in viper for you doing it manually is to go to the trunking program (program, new, tgrp), then go to system and enter P25 automatic, then enter the frequencies for your sites. If you have 4 sites then program in site 1 (you only have to program in the red and blue frequencies, these are you control channels). Then do 2-4 the same. Be sure to not to put in all 4 control channels in site one. Since you have 4 sites program in 4 separate in your scanner. Hit done after you finish programming each site. When you get this done hit save and just hit save every time after that and this will load all the defaults. You will have setup a wildcard system so any traffic that comes over the sites you will hear it. When you do hear something you will have the option to save it. Hit save and you can go back later and add text to it. If you have it setup right when you are scanning there should be a T and some signal strength bars showing at the top of the screen. Once you get it going you can go back and tweak the settings. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.