Need help with Phoenix programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Hello

So frustrated here.. Bought the radio shack handheld and it never picks up phoenix system.

Bought a whistler 1080 handheld from reviews i read.. Suppose to auto program.. Nope. Only thing i hear is dps and a deck 4 once in a blue moon,.,, I usually just use 5-0 radio and its perfect! I am so mad at spending a grand on this..

Question any of you folks in phoenix area listen to pd ? On a whistler handheld 1080 or 1088?

I read alot today about the Unication g5 being far superior then a scanner anyone real world test that out here?

Lastly I would be in forever debt to you if anyone can assist me in programming or teaching me what I am doing wrong programming these bricks!

(i am hoping i just need a file uploaded to my scanner to make it work)

Thanks so much folks!

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Ok great not everyone at once! I did talk with Brian at Whistler he is a great help. Got my radio all updated and not it scans but i wont hear any audio. When i lock into a talk group say mcso west (all imported from library) I see the meter go crazy yet no radio traffic...

Anyone please have a sample file for ez scan so i can see or what I am doing wrong???

So far in 8 hours only Peoria pd talks once in a blue moon..

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I don't own that radio so can't specifically address how it handles the radio traffic, but it is a derivative of the GRE PSR-800, which I have several of those.

The biggest thing to ensure when you set up a "scan list" is that it is enabled in the "Scanlist Control" section under the "General Configuartion Settings" tab, but that it is also enabled in a "scan set" under the "Advanced Features" tab too.

You can create all the scan lists you want, but if you don't tell a scan set to play that scan list, then you will never hear anything on that scan list.

The other danger to watch out for is putting everything under the same "scan set" and "Scan list" which the program likes to do, usually scan list 1 and scan set 1. If you were to program the Phoenix area for example into your radio all under a single scan set and/or scan list, you would very like be scanning, but hearing nothing, as you would be scanning too much.

So, the first question is, how do you have your scan lists and scan sets set-up ?

Are they enabled ?

Perhaps you can attach the configuration file in your response message. I downloaded the 1080 EZ Scan software so, I can take a look at it. One caveat, I am on the road literally many of my hours in the day. I may be Leaving for North Carolina tomorrow, so if you can send it tonight, I'll take a look at it.

Otherwise, I'll have to let someone local to the Phoenix area help you, as I won't be back until after the Holiday.

Lwolf1313

Phoenix area programming

I had both the Uniden models and the Whistler/Radio Shack brands of scanners. It seems like the Unidens handle the simulcast issues better. I would have the Whistler one programmed with the same frequencies as the Unidens and here nothing on the Whistlers. Now I read up on a P25 Unication G6 voice pager that completely solves the simulcast issues??

rwier

Ok great not everyone at once! I did talk with Brian at Whistler he is a great help. Got my radio all updated and not it scans but i wont hear any audio. When i lock into a talk group say mcso west (all imported from library) I see the meter go crazy yet no radio traffic...

Anyone please have a sample file for ez scan so i can see or what I am doing wrong???

So far in 8 hours only Peoria pd talks once in a blue moon..

Your question is a wake-up call for me. I just realized that I haven't listened to my 800s for a while. I'm on my second computer since I used EZScan software, so I need to get the EZScan software. The scanners have not been seen since a home interior make-over. Since creating a ScanList in EZScan does not require a scanner, I will try to make and post a suitable EZScan file for your whistler 1080. Will search the RR Wiki for the proper software.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your radio, just be patient. We'll get you going here soon.

rwier

OK, I threw together a 3 ScanList setup for Phoenix. #1 = Phx FD Conventional, #2 = Phx FD Rescue, and #3 = Phx PD.

The only way I could find to get it to a zipped file was to "Save-to-Archive".

Bad news ... The zipped file is to large for RR's attachment rules. Does anyone know how to copy a single V-Scanner C-Dat file to a zipped folder?

I will go back and try to trim something.

rwier

Trim down was successful!!! See attached and try to unzip and get it into EZScan (how???).

Attachments

• CDAT_VS.001_2017-04-19_14-45.zip
    137.4 KB · Views: 31

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
Wow how cool rweir, that's awfully nice of you to help out LARKDALE like that. I would have, if I had Whistler scanner, but I don't and am not familiar with their operation. Good luck LARKDALE with your programming.

rwier

fleef;2755914" ... if I had Whistler scanner ... "[/QUOTE said:
I don't have that scanner. I downloaded the free software, which is "almost" the same as the EZScan software for the 800. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Trim down was successful!!! See attached and try to unzip and get it into EZScan (how???).

Hello!

Thank you so much for trying to help me awhile back the post vanished and I never found it till now. I am back into scanning again I tired and downloaded your file un zipped it and all and i cant find a way in the whistler program to access it or to point to it or to open it.

Its so frustrating I cannot monitor and RWC here in Phoenix. I have the 1080 now I have purchased 4 different models and none would work. Do you have any scanners that reliably scan any the simulcast systems? My next purchase when I can will be the pager thats suppose to be the end all be all i guess?

Thanks again for your help!

Chris

KB7MIB

You're most likely having issues with the LSM (linear simulcast modulation) that the RWC uses. Each simulcast system transmits from multiple locations at the same time, but due to the miniscule time difference in receiving the same digital data from multiple locations, the signals are canceling each other out, and you get no audio, or at best, very choppy audio.
One fix would be to purchase an external antenna and experiment with which direction to point it in. (Pointing it directly at the nearest transmitter location may not be the best direction to point it in.)
Another fix would be to sell off a scanner or two and buy a Unication G4 or G5 professional grade pager, which can handle the LSM much better than any of the consumer grade scanners can. (The G4 is 700/800 MHz only. The G5 is available in VHF-High & 700/800 MHz, or UHF & 700/800 MHz.)

For MCSO, if you're still having issues receiving them, make sure that you only have the White Tanks Mtn., Thompson Peak, and Central Courts sites programmed. Any other sites do not carry all traffic 24/7.

Good luck.

John
Peoria

Last edited:

rwier

" .......................downloaded your file un zipped it and all and i cant find a way in the whistler program to access it or to point to it or to open it ................. "
Chris

Nor can I. There may be a way to do it using the chip in the radio. Put the chip in a computer reader. Using Windows Explorer, do you see any file names that begin with CDAT_VS.00? If so you could copy the unzipped file to the chip. It would override the existing CDAT_VS.001 (if it exists). Put the chip back in the radio and try to select that VS option for scanning. Don't have any idea if it will work.

kd7ckq

Actually, Don't un-zip it. Open EZ-Scan and click on [FILE] then scroll down to [Restore Configuration from Archive].
When you do that. I will bring up a 'Open' window. Search for the downloaded CDAT_VS.001_2017-04-19_14-45.zip file and click on it. It will warn you that you will lose the current data your working on. Just click continue.

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Nor can I. There may be a way to do it using the chip in the radio. Put the chip in a computer reader. Using Windows Explorer, do you see any file names that begin with CDAT_VS.00? If so you could copy the unzipped file to the chip. It would override the existing CDAT_VS.001 (if it exists). Put the chip back in the radio and try to select that VS option for scanning. Don't have any idea if it will work.

Thank you that loaded up!

Question tho I see your scan lists when I click on the police one and go to trunking there are no site frequencies? I see you added 1 site a for pd and site b for fd.

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
Actually, Don't un-zip it. Open EZ-Scan and click on [FILE] then scroll down to [Restore Configuration from Archive].
When you do that. I will bring up a 'Open' window. Search for the downloaded CDAT_VS.001_2017-04-19_14-45.zip file and click on it. It will warn you that you will lose the current data your working on. Just click continue.

Thank you so much !

LARKDALE1

Premium Subscriber
You're most likely having issues with the LSM (linear simulcast modulation) that the RWC uses. Each simulcast system transmits from multiple locations at the same time, but due to the miniscule time difference in receiving the same digital data from multiple locations, the signals are canceling each other out, and you get no audio, or at best, very choppy audio.
One fix would be to purchase an external antenna and experiment with which direction to point it in. (Pointing it directly at the nearest transmitter location may not be the best direction to point it in.)
Another fix would be to sell off a scanner or two and buy a Unication G4 or G5 professional grade pager, which can handle the LSM much better than any of the consumer grade scanners can. (The G4 is 700/800 MHz only. The G5 is available in VHF-High & 700/800 MHz, or UHF & 700/800 MHz.)

For MCSO, if you're still having issues receiving them, make sure that you only have the White Tanks Mtn., Thompson Peak, and Central Courts sites programmed. Any other sites do not carry all traffic 24/7.

Good luck.

John
Peoria

Yes I want one of them pagers. Funds are not ready yet. When I program the trucking info do I add every site in the rwc ? I have tried that and also just programming the radio by "zip code"

when i look up how whistler auto programs from radio reference it only uses 2 sites which is why i never hear any of the west valley agencies as they are not on them towers,

Also I get ppd 200 a once in a while

I do get a random k deck here and there but nothing to call home about.

MCSO use to work great everywhere now i never hear them anymore I even tried a mobile mag mount antenna and stock antenna

I really need to listen to Phoenix pd
peoria pd
glendale pd
mcso WEST
and fire k decks

With the uni cation pagers can you lock into one talk group? I was reading somewhere you cant? Otherwise I listen to RR broadcast but it jumps around so much on phoenix pd can never hear anything

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

kd7ckq

Thank you that loaded up!

Question tho I see your scan lists when I click on the police one and go to trunking there are no site frequencies? I see you added 1 site a for pd and site b for fd.

When in EZ-Scan. You have to click on Site Details, then the 'Site' under 'Site List'. You will then see there are four 700Mhz freq.'s for RWC A: Phx PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.