Need help with weather stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondjtoth

Premium Subscriber
Hi I'm in Des Plaines IL. I have a BC75XLT and a BC125AT. On my BC75XLT I'm setting it up for emergency weather stuff. What can I put in there?

Reason for asking is I work as food store bagger and like to take my BC75XLT with me in case we get a tornado and need to move shoppers and all to the basement. I can just grab the BC75XLT, turn on the banks we need, and keep updated. What should I have in there like weather and so on? Thought I would use my BC75XLT since it was the first one I got.

Thanks all for helping
Ray Toth

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi Ray,

In the situation of moving shoppers to the basement. I would hit the WX button on your scanner, and haul butt to the basement.

Before the severe weather hits. You probably want to program your local Skywarn frequencies into a bank.

The best way to find those freqs, are the database on RR, for the ham frequencies in your county.

Maybe someone out there reading this, can provide the link or freq. for you.

I did find his for ya ~ 442.97500
Cook County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

raymondjtoth

Premium Subscriber
I have the skywarm in there from chicago slywarm rr site got wrong one thay, dont use any more, im asking anything eles should have in there besides these thanks ray

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I hope I understood your question right. If not, I do apologize.

If the Skywarn is not active. The next best things would be the WX button, to listen to the weather.
And probably your local police and fire departments. Those 2 would also have almost real time reports as well.

With that being said, ALOT of departments went encrypted. So you may not be able to listen.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for northern Cook County Skywarn they're on the NS9RC repeater, 147.345. They are not consistently active though, compared to neighboring counties anyway.

And yes, the FishFAR system is no longer used for relaying reports from local nets, if I remember right they had severe interference problems with them. Here's the list of what NWS Chicago (WX9LOT) monitors. WFO Chicago Amateur Radio

Kane and Lake County both have excellent nets, but won't really cover your immediate area.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
On page 64 of the Uniden 125 scanner manual you set up a WX alert for your area that's what I did here for Will County

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate your concern with others.

I have to go with RoninJoliet on this one. Keep it simple, program the specific area weather alert into your radio and set it to play nice and loud when a weather alert is made. (i assume your radio can do this).

I would actually think the store manager could have one set up on a radio so (he/she) can make the decision to move people, I'm not sure how it would play out if a bagger did this on their own, communications with the store manager might be in order.

Thanks
Joel

Reactions: wtp
Status
Not open for further replies.