Need Help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FantomHawk

Hello I just recently got into scanning and I just moved to Colorado. I was able to use conventional in TN where I moved from. Now that I'm here I can't get anything. Do I need a trunking scanner?? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get one cheap if I need one?? I'm an unemployed teen so I don't have a lot of money. and I've heard you need a license to use a scanner. Is that true?? I haven't been able to find anything on it on the web or anything.
Thanks

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Where you at and who are you trying to monitor?

No license required for a scanner here.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of very helpful "welcome to the state" wiki's available here hopefully those will help but I agree with Phil where are you and what do you want to monitor that will change the recommendation and prices of scanners for Santa greatly.

Jim<

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Also email me @ trdcompetition@yahoo.com, I can provide much personal assistance, as well as the above poster.

scanlist

Right now the Radioshack PRO-107 at $179.99 on sale is your best bet on a budget for monitoring Aurora plus being able to hear Denver as well.

For state patrol you would need a digital scanner such as the GRE PSR500 PSR 600, Uniden 396XT Uniden 996 XT or Radioshack PRO-106 PRO-197. All digital scanners are in the $500 range.

Digital is used by a majority of agencies in the metro area with the exception of Aurora, Denver, Lakewood, Westminster and arvada which use EDACS trunking and Boulder and Boulder County which use VHF.

Take a look around in the database area for additional info.

FantomHawk

Thanks. Ummm this might be a stupid question to you guys but what is the difference between digital and analog?? I can't figure it out. BTW I heard possible CDA on the scanner yesterday what is that?? I googled it and still can't find anything. If any of you guys have any websites to get that type of info please let me know.
Thanks

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Yep, the above poster is correct, almost all of colorado is using the DTRS, with the above exceptions. Now luckily for you, you live in an area that is surrounded by EDACS. I'm not sure about aurora, but as for Denver, you will need an ESK capable scanner. And other than Denver and boulder county, and aurora, you will most likely need a digital scanner. If you play your cards right, you can get something like a pro-106 or a uniden 396t for around $400. If the money is a problem, get yourself started with an EDACS scanner capable of ESK decoding.

FantomHawk

Thanks. Ummm this might be a stupid question to you guys but what is the difference between digital and analog?? I can't figure it out. BTW I heard possible CDA on the scanner yesterday what is that?? I googled it and still can't find anything. If any of you guys have any websites to get that type of info please let me know.
Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Digital transmissions are encoded as a stream of data that is modulated onto a carrier. The signal has to be received, demodulated then decoded using the appropriate algorithm to convert it to voice. The encoding/decoding is typically done by a Digital Signal Processing chip in the radio (or scanner). Because the audio is encoded as data, the stream can also include other data such as channel, user, status, and other information interleaved with the voice data.

Analog transmissions are modulated onto a carrier which is then received and demodulated at the receiver in order to produce audio.

CDA = Cesium Dhydrogen Arsenate
Well, among other things. :) Nothing immediately comes to mind in the arena of public safety, though. Can you provide context?

UPDATE: Maybe it was CVA? If it was on an EMS channel, that is short for Cerebrovascular Accident, which is long for "stroke."

Last edited:

FantomHawk

It was AFD responding to a multi-car accident.
I don't suppose there us anything I can buy to convert an analog to digital.
From what I have looked up there isn't but just wondering if you guys know of anything.
Thanks for all the replies!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
It was AFD responding to a multi-car accident.
I don't suppose there us anything I can buy to convert an analog to digital.
From what I have looked up there isn't but just wondering if you guys know of anything.
Thanks for all the replies!

Nope but agencies like Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Arvada, Westy, West Metro are not digital.

Have you tried listening to any of the many metro area online feeds to get a sense of what you want to monitor?

Jim<

FantomHawk

Nope but agencies like Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Arvada, Westy, West Metro are not digital.

Have you tried listening to any of the many metro area online feeds to get a sense of what you want to monitor?

Jim<
Yes I have. I am listening to the Aurora Police and Fire scanner right now.
How would I go about figuring out what frequencies this scanner is using??
I have a Radio Shack PRO-91 would that work for Aurora Police and Fire??
I put in the frequencies for Aurora but I can't seem to get much at all.
Like I can't hear the Robbery in progress on it right now that I am listening to right now online.
Thanks

scanlist

I have a Radio Shack PRO-91 would that work for Aurora Police and Fire??

No. It's an antique that tracks analog Motorola systems and the only analog Motorola system left in the area is United Airlines at Denver International Airport.

Though some of these are distant you should hear the following conventional frequencies in the Aurora area with that radio.

151.085 CDOT Eisenhour Tunnel
151.115 Douglas County Fire Dispatch Simulcast
151.355 Boulder County Fire RED-1 Dispatch
151.430 Intercanyon Fire
153.785 Weld Fire Paging South
153.845 Gilpin Fire
153.875 North Fork Fire
154.070 Denver Fire station alert and Dispatch simulcast
154.280 FERN
154.370 Boulder County Fire RED-6
154.415 Boulder County Fire RED-3
154.725 Fairmount Fire Simulcast
154.860 Gilpin County Law
154.905 CSP State 3 VHF
155.220 Elk Creek Fire
155.475 National Law
155.610 Clear Creek County Law
155.655 Boulder County Law Yellow
155.835 Golden Fire Simulcast
159.270 Boulder County Law Green
453.475 Evergreen Fire 2
453.900 Federal Height Fire Paging
453.950 Evergreen Fire 1
460.375 S. Adams Fire Paging
460.425 CLEER
460.525 Brighton Fire Paging
460.550 North Metro Fire Paging
460.575 S.W. Adams Fire Paging
464.775 Aurora Schools Bus ops
464.875 Aurora Schools Security
853.7875 STAC-D

FantomHawk

Ok guys Thanks. Umm do you guys have any ideas of how to get an inexpensive scanner that will work for APD and AFD?? Would it be worth it to post an ad on the classifieds for wanted?? jw
I really appreciate all the help yall have been so far!!

Status
Not open for further replies.