Freescan: Need serious help how to program with freescan and bcd396t

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
i just used the program to program my scanner now it is still cycling through all the systems that it had pre stored on the scanner. is there a button i can push to just select one system and stay in that one. or is it always going to cycle through them all. please help. I just got this scanner and it is already becoming clear that it is very difficult to program even with free scan are their any youtube instructional videos out there i can't find any on how to program freescan with this thing to be able to scan the talk groups and sites i programmed into it besides it scanning all the preprogammed systems on it i am at a loss at how to program this scanner coming from a whistler and radioshack and g4 pager this scanner is so different any help appreciated

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i just used the program to program my scanner now it is still cycling through all the systems that it had pre stored on the scanner. is there a button i can push to just select one system and stay in that one. or is it always going to cycle through them all. please help. I just got this scanner and it is already becoming clear that it is very difficult to program even with free scan are their any youtube instructional videos out there i can't find any on how to program freescan with this thing to be able to scan the talk groups and sites i programmed into it besides it scanning all the preprogammed systems on it i am at a loss at how to program this scanner coming from a whistler and radioshack and g4 pager this scanner is so different any help appreciated
Are you referring to the various systems loaded in the scanner memory when first shipped, or after you have done a reset?
If you are speaking of the pre=programmed systems, there are two ways to eliminate them.

Presuming that you have your programming file already created, and saved, in FreeSCAN, then resetting the scanner will wipe the memory clean. You would need to again load your file, but no other systems will be already programmed if you do the reset correctly.
With the scanner off, press & hold down these three keys on the keypad:
2, 9, and Hold.
Continue to hold down those keys while hitting the power button to turn the scanner on. As the scanner boots up, you should get a message that you will be deleting everything programmed in the scanner at that time. Proceed through the reset. If I recall correctly, after the memory is cleared, you will get a prompt asking if you want to re-load the pre-programmed systems. You don't. That list is from when the scanner was first introduced back in 2005. Probably just about all of the pre-loads are no longer current or correct.

The other method is to have FreeSCAN clear the scanner's memory when you load your file. You do that by checking a box on the download menu that pops up when uploading programming to the scanner.
1709259418241.png

If, instead, you are referring to the various service searches, that can be disabled using the Scanner Settings option in FreeSCAN.
1709259553304.png
Select that option, and that will take you to a sub-menu where you can make changes.

1709259635096.png

There is a User Guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD396T is an old scanner. Any frequencies or systems pre-stored in the scanner are probably obsolete. Most of the radio traffic will be on the Ohio MARCS statewide trunked system: https://www.radioreference.com/db/sid/6643?siteSort=county#sites The BCD396T will allow only a single site per system. Using FreeSCAN, your will need to create a system with a System Type of Mot Type II / P25. Next, add a site. The Site Type will be Mot P25/P25 Standard. You will need to use the Shalersville site in Portage County:
2 (2)020 (14)ShalersvillePortage769.45625771.00625771.38125772.70625c773.33125773.58125c851.625
You only need to enter the 2 red control channel capable frequencies. All of the frequency information is carried on the control channel. Remove the lower case "c" when entering the frequencies. I see that you are a premium subscriber. You will be able to download all of that info from the Radio Reference database. You will need to delete any sites other than Shalersville. The MARCS system has a huge number of groups and talkgroups. The BCD396T will only allow a maximum of 20 groups and 200 talkgroups per system. You will need to research the database and eliminate anything that you do not want to monitor keeping the limit to 20 groups and 200 talkgroups. You will need to concentrate your programming to Portage County to stay within that limit before uploading programming to the scanner.

Nasby

One hint, you will need to download each site and scan them as individual sites with each site having its own quick key on the 396t. It won’t scan multiple sites under one quick key. I’m being totally serious.

tvengr

Well Known Member
One hint, you will need to download each site and scan them as individual sites with each site having its own quick key on the 396t. It won’t scan multiple sites under one quick key. I’m being totally serious.
Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 7

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
Well how do i do this because i reset it and dowloaded all the talkgroups and sites i want to scan in the scanner. But it isn't scanning any of the talkgroups i have in the memory it is just scanning random talkgroups not programmed in it but ones that are attached to the marcs sites so how do i get it to just scan the individual talk groups i have programmed in it and thats it.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
it is just scanning random talkgroups not programmed in it but ones that are attached to the marcs sites so how do i get it to just scan the individual talk groups i have programmed in it and thats it.
It sounds like you are in ID Search mode. You want to be in ID Scan.

To toggle between ID Scan or ID Search mode while scanning each trunked system, quickly press (not press and hold) Func then Scan/srch

ID Scan mode monitors only programmed talk groups. ID Search monitors all talk groups - whether programmed or not.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this FreeSCAN file a try. It has the MARCS trunked system with the Portage County talkgroups using the Shalersville site. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in FreeSCAN and click on Open. In the Downloads folder, open the extracted file (Portage Co OH.996). Connect your computer to the scanner. Turn the scanner on. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload Programming. Select Erase All Systems & Settings (in red). Click on Start Upload. When upload is completed, unplug cable. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. Portage Co OH
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. State Mutual Aid
2. State Law Common
3. State Emerg Ops
4. PortCo Interop
5. PortCo Emerg Ops
6. PortCo Fire/EMS
7. PortCo EMS/Hosp
8. PortCo Law
9. PortCo Correctns
0. State Hwy Patrol

Attachments

• Portage Co OH FS.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 3

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
Give this FreeSCAN file a try. It has the MARCS trunked system with the Portage County talkgroups using the Shalersville site. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in FreeSCAN and click on Open. In the Downloads folder, open the extracted file (Portage Co OH.996). Connect your computer to the scanner. Turn the scanner on. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload Programming. Select Erase All Systems & Settings (in red). Click on Start Upload. When upload is completed, unplug cable. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEY:
1. Portage Co OH
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. State Mutual Aid
2. State Law Common
3. State Emerg Ops
4. PortCo Interop
5. PortCo Emerg Ops
6. PortCo Fire/EMS
7. PortCo EMS/Hosp
8. PortCo Law
9. PortCo Correctns