need some information about sdr

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmohr

SDR# /SDRsharp is the program the dongle uses I think. It is free, pretty low impact and runs from a folder. Just download it. Lot of youtube vids about installing the dongle and using the software. Keep in mind I don't have my dongle yet, but I have looked at the software and it looks pretty strait forward to use. Using two dongles for trunking systems looks a bit more complicated though.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
should I buy the usb stick off amazon or ebay

Your choice. I tend to use Amazon because of their easy return policy. We also have an Amazon Prime membership so shipping is often free. We have had items that we ordered late on Saturday be delivered on Sunday afternoon. With service like that, who needs drone delivery:)

bonk83

Your choice. I tend to use Amazon because of their easy return policy. We also have an Amazon Prime membership so shipping is often free. We have had items that we ordered late on Saturday be delivered on Sunday afternoon. With service like that, who needs drone delivery:)

is this the right one i'm seeing several different ones

Attachments

• RTLSDR_Front.jpg
    RTLSDR_Front.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 205

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have 2 of those models. They sell it by itself for $20 or bundled with an indoor starter antenna for $26. One of the advantages of this model (the V3) is that it will also receive below 25 MHz if you want to listen to shortwave radio or AM broadcast radio. These are well made units and buying them helps support the excellent rtl-sdr.com website. This site is one of the best resources for RTL SDR USB stick receivers and has a lot of tutorials.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com

Last edited:

paulmohr

I got mine directly from the RTL website, but I think it just links you to Amazon, they were out of stock when I ordered it so I had to use the worldwide option. Shipped from China, I ordered it on august 20th, still isn't here yet. Tracking shows that is in the US now though, so maybe this coming week.

paulmohr

ya I should have waited, I probably would have gotten it sooner lol. Tracking says it is on its way to adrian now (where I live) so maybe I will get it tue.

scan_madison

Quick question about decoding digital signal using virtual piping.
Can I use the output from normal scanner instead? Is there a similar program that I can run in the computer? Or do I need to use RTL-SDR with DSD+? Thanks.

M105

Quick question about decoding digital signal using virtual piping.
Can I use the output from normal scanner instead? Is there a similar program that I can run in the computer? Or do I need to use RTL-SDR with DSD+? Thanks.
---
Not sure I understand the question. Audio from a scanner has to be input with a real cable. You can let DSD+ take its input audio from the line-in or mic jack and output the decoded audio to the speakers. Keep in mind that the audio from the scanner has to be raw, unfiltered, discriminator tap audio.

You can also use a discriminator tapped scanner to feed the control channel copy of DSD+ when decoding a trunked system and let it tune a SDR for decoding voice channels.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I got mine directly from the RTL website, but I think it just links you to Amazon, they were out of stock when I ordered it so I had to use the worldwide option. Shipped from China, I ordered it on august 20th, still isn't here yet. Tracking shows that is in the US now though, so maybe this coming week.

A while back, I ordered the RTL-SDR.com AM broadcast reject filter shipped from China. It took so long to get to me, I could swear they stuck it in a bottle and let it drift across the Pacific on ocean currents. :)

bonk83

i got my sdr dongle today and when I tried to start dsdplus and unitrunker and i got a error saying that lame_enc.dll is missing are they any software to solve this issue i have sdrsharp installed

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

bonk83

my outdoor antenna is connected with rg11 and i have 2 way splitter and i use rg6 from the splitter are they a connector from the splitter that goes to the sdr usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.