Needing some help with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham612

Adair county-
I started hearing this on our local PD frequency (1/20/21). It has been VHF analog voice. This is new. The old repeater pair is still in use, but I cant identify what I'm hearing in the audio. The noise is on both the input and output of the repeater and the only difference is a "digital hash squelch tail" at the end of every transmission on the input frequency.

In further listening an hour later, an operator was asking for radio checks from the dispatcher. This was in the clear. After much grumbling on my part, I started to dig into this a bit more, and I got some fair results.

It seems to be an analog, LTR trunking system. It utilizes the old VHF frequencies and I believe this part of a countywide system due to not only my local PD uses this, but so does the county sheriff's department. In addition, I heard the same,"diesel engine in idle" sound, on one of the area's rural FD's frequency.

I have yet to monitor the traffic, because of the particular quirks that a LTR system has. At this point I'm still mapping out the system, and am pulling out my hair in the process. Unless I've missed something my local PD is using the same repeater frequency pair as before, but I'm getting numerous tgid's, many that dont make sense.

Im using my old pro-97 scanner to do the lifting work. How to monitor an LTR trunked in that model is not evident and the manual dont help. The wiki here has some good info, but I've run into a few things that aren't covered. Any suggestions on some better tools to sort this out?

Has anyone experienced this in past, and are there any pointers you send this way? Is this a common practice?

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are hearing a diesel engine sound, that frequency has switched to digital. It could be P25, DMR, or NXDN. I don't see any LTR systems in Adair County. If a conventional frequency is being used for both analog and P25, you can setup the frequency twice, one using a PL tone for analog and the other using a NAC code for digital. You will not be able to monitor digital on a Pro-97. It is analog only.

Status
Not open for further replies.