needs code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
What Part?

What part of Labrador are you in?
When you ask for a code do you mean frequency or are you asking what trunking system is being used or something else?

snowblow

I am living in central larador,I know the RCMP have gone on a different system.I don't know what it is but all you can get on their frequency is a lot of noise.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Odds are good if they've "gone on a different system", they've moved to the Newfoundland Provincial Radio P25 digital network. To an analog scanner, a digital signal is going to sound like "a lot of noise".

What frequency do you have now, and where in Labrador are you?

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
P25

I live in Central Labrador as well. They have definitely switched to the P25 system. Is your scanner able to receive trunked radio? What type of scanner do you have?

snowblow

frequency

Hi I have an uniden bc355c? Is there any way I can get them on this one and if not what kind would I have to buy

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
Yes and No

Well, the title says it all. I am now able to listen to both sides of the communication but with some restrictions.
I have a Grecom PSR-600. It is telling me that the communications are now on P25 03C. Initially there was a huge amount of static/squelch as can be expected when an conventional receiver is on a P25 signal. The radio displayed "S/ Stor" and when I pushed the corresponding button the noise disappeared. I do not know what S/ Stor means and cannot find it in my manual.
I now get a very low "click click" that is hard to hear if I am more than a few feet from the radio. The voices are very clear and stronger than ever. Signal strength is 100%.
The problem I am now encountering is I cannot squelch the signal enough to enable scanning. I tried to use the information on the NL database to setup a P25 trunk item on the scanner but that did not work, no surprise, no info for Labrador. So, I can listen to that one frequency or I can listen to everything else.
Any idea what the 03C may be? If I could figure that out I suspect that I could make things work.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Stor means it is offering you the option to store the NAC (03C) in the channel data. NAC is the Network Access Code, which is to a digital channel like the CTCSS tone is to an analog channel.

What frequency is this? I can probably make up a file for you for the system. What software do you use (if any) to program your radio? I have Win500.

The reason you can't "squelch" it is because a lot of the RCMP trunk voice channels stay active all the time even if they're not broadcasting voice. I'd bet there's another frequency with a P25 control channel on it somewhere. Can you search from 150 to 174 and see if you encounter a frequency which sounds like this:

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/astro96k.wav

That is a control channel. Not to be confused with the following, which is how a P25 voice channel sounds to an analog scanner:

http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/astro-imbe.wav

03C is a hexadecimal number. In decimal, it's 60. I'm willing to bet if you could find the control channel, you'd be looking at RFSS 60, site 1. (RFSS is the Radio Frequency Sub-System, part of the overall site ID. You'll notice other sites in the system in the RRDB, on the island, have RFSS numbers from 3 to 52, so 60 would be logical for a site on the Labrador mainland.)

I think the reason you were unsuccessful making the frequency you're listening to into a "trunk item" is because you don't have the control channel, just a voice channel. Once you find the control channel, put them both in a TSYS, and you might get some fun stuff happening.

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your answers

I am listening to 155.97, it is the old frequency as well. The noise I was hearing matches the first link you gave me. Is 155.97 the control frequency? I did the scan you suggested and cannot find any other freq with that sound.

I am using the PSREdit500 software that was recommended by this website. I just recently bought it and find it cumbersome but then I am not familiar with it. I am willing to download and buy Win500 if it is easier to use.

Can I use Win500 to enter the hex 03C then enter freqs 150.0 to 174.0 individually until I get it right?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get mine working I would like to meet Snowblow and get his system working as well. I that learning to enter the information in mine will enable me to be successful with his.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I think I have PSREdit as well, I'll look tonight.

If you hear digital voice on 155.97 then it may or may not be control. There is a form of trunking that does what's called Voice On Control - that's not the same as Uniden's "P25 One Frequency Trunk" format. I know you have a non-Uniden radio but I thought I'd mention that for other folks.

If you follow the instructions to create a TSYS and make the system P25, and put in that frequency, I'd be interested in finding out the results of the following: Go to that TSYS using the object ID that it was created under, and hit the Analyze button (should be F3, the lower-right button under the screen). You should end up with numbers and hex values on the display, like WACN 0000C, SID 00C, and a percentage value, if this is indeed the control channel. If you're exceptionally lucky you might see T6001 (or something similar starting with a T).

Don't be too hung up on 03C. That's not as important as finding the control channel. Once you find the control channel, we can treat this like a trunk system, and then you can figure out what talkgroup the voice traffic is on.

I will try to see if I can create a trunk system for you, maybe tonight, but it might take me a day or three.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I found some time this afternoon.

Unzip the attached file, and load it in to your radio with PSREdit500. (Don't forget to save your original config because I don't have it in this file, of course!)

155.97 is listed as the first frequency in the TSYS, so it should jump right in to the system immediately if that is the control channel. All the known CCs in the P25 system are in there, so odds are good you'll get it to work (I hope!). You'll know if you start hearing voice and see a talkgroup in the 500 or 600 range show up on the screen. (If you do, let us know, so it can be submitted to the database.)

When you have a moment, hold on object 1851 (hit MAN, type '1851' and hit the ENT button). From there, press F3 for "Analyze". Use the cursor up and down keys to slowly go through all the frequencies (there's about 25 I think). If any of them come up with the control channel sound, look on the bottom of the screen for the following two lines (the screen will be alternating between the two lines):

Sy:--- R--- S---

00% N03C W:-----

Hopefully those dashes will be replaced with meaningful info, and the '00%' will be closer to '99%' (that's the decode rate). I'm expecting N to be 03C, but it really could be anything - you did see 03C at least once, though.

When you see those, please note down the frequency and exactly what details show up. That will allow us to create a site (or more than one site, if you get hits on more than one freq) in the RadioReference database for your location.

Attachments

• NPR-P25.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 66

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thank you. I will load the file into my scanner later this morning. I will let you know the results asap.
I did a factory reset last evening then entered the TSYS as you suggested. I got 99% N03C W:---
SY:--- R--- S---.
Sorry I did not get that info sent to you, I had other obligations.

For Snowblow. Please keep checking here for updates on how I am progressing. If we are successful perhaps we can meet and work on your problem. In the mean time, you may be able to listen conventionally using the same method that I have.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I should have remembered that those scanners often don't display any data on VHF systems. Sorry. But at least we know where the control channel is now.

Would you be willing to download PRO96COM (from the same guy who wrote PSREdit)? It's a free program that listens to the control channel signal and figures out the data we're looking for.

Pro96Com - Control channel decoder for P25 Trunked Radio Systems

Download and install the program, and with your scanner connected to the computer, put it in the mode that gets you that info on the screen like you did above. Click on "Read Data From Radio" in the lower right of the main screen of the program, and it should show us the info in the sidebar above that button.

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
Results

I am sorry. I should have been clearer with my last email. The information was what I did last evening. I had not downloaded the file you sent.

I did down load it this morning and below is the information you requested.

TS-1851 P25 Au 1
NPR P25
Ch01: 155.970000
99% N03C W:----
Sy:--- R--- S---
This is the only one with a control channel sound.

I should have noticed before but when I enter the freq as conventional and press store to eliminate the sound of the control frequency the mode display changes from FM to DG.

I will download PROM96COM and send you the results later today. Thanks again.

snowblow

Hey Jay911 and Wilber8 ,thanks for your help.I know nothing about scanners so I was wondering if there was a scanner out there that I could buy and just have to program it.I have been looking at some but I don't know which one to buy and I can't pay $400 to 600 for one.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Yeah. The reason you don't see any details is because the PSR500/600 doesn't handle displaying them when the source is a VHF P25 system. The details, the data provided over the trunk control channel, comes in a different format on VHF than it does on other bands. Doesn't impact scanning the system, but evidently the GREs weren't designed to read the VHF format details. PRO96COM however will read it just fine.

Wilber8

Premium Subscriber
Info

I have run the program and have some results, I hope they will help.

Site Info
Sys ID - 00C
Tower ID - 6001 (T3C01)
WACN - 000C
Capabilities - Composite Control Channel, Data, Voice, Registration

Site Activity
Channel - 00-1034
Frequency - 155.97
Usage - cv
Type - Control

Affiliations List
Talk Group - 548