• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Neighborhood Communications Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Can new FRS radios be configured to not allow others not on a membership list to listen in or transmit?
Since no one has answered your question... Nope! FRS radios are often marketed as having "privacy codes", but this feature would only prevent you from hearing others. If you're within range, they will be able to hear you - and interfere, if that is the intent.

n1das

It looks like the Zello smartphone app is the way to go to do everything the OP wants. And it's free and works on IOS and Android devices on any carrier. There is also Zello for Work which is not free but can do a few things the free version can't do.

KG7PBS

My question is why do elderly people need encryption. Sounds like he needs to put up a Motorola DMR repeater with RAS and encryption. The SL7550 would work just fine. 250$ on EBay. With all those requirements that he wants he needs to put the money out and get a license.

gman1971

Itinerant VHF frequency and a bunch of CCR DMR (MotoTRBO) portables is what you need.

The HOA can certainly apply for the itinerant VHF frequency (IIRC its just 250 bucks) which is NOT a ham license.

And as for what radio to use, as of the writing of this post the Baofeng BF-1801 DMR/FM walkie is the cheapest option to buy bulk. Its not an XPR 7550e, but it should reach 300 yards without much of a problem on VHF without the need of a main repeater. Once you have the itinerant frequency license and the radios, all you have to do is assign each radio to its own unique ID, each ID being each house, etc... then create a talk group for the homeowners association/group, and set every radio to listen to that group, lastly assign one channel to the licensed itinerant frequency you acquired and you're good to go. On DMR you can also create subgroups, etc, and any subscriber can punch the ID of another subscriber to make private calls, so only that person will hear the call, you can also do texting as well... and can do call alerts (ringing the phone) which will leave a missed call reminder on the radio with the person who called you.. radio checks. DMR is very flexible.

The BF-1801 radio has digital encryption (not voice inversion crap), its a true 40bit digital encryption and while it won't prevent the NSA from chiming in, it will thwart the scanners and any eavesdropping.

G.

KD0UOI

Thanks everyone for responding. Cheap/easy is the preferred route, so I'm going to investigate the free version of Zello, From speaking with many of my neighbors, a handful are interested in helping me test/evaluate. Guessing that no more than half of the neighborhood are interested in actually using it, because the level of direness and service interruption from COVID-19 is actually pretty minor. I realize that I'll never get the entire neighborhood to use anything as some just don't care or aren't interested for whatever reason.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Best part.. it works anywhere you have cellular service.. Great for neighborhood watch programs

Status
Not open for further replies.