• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New AnyTone hand helds with FHSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When set up as a repeater, it doesn't work well if the frequencies are both in the same band. You can do it, but if the input signal isn't strong, the TX will cycle on and off rapidly as the output desenses the input. But if the freqs are not in the same band, it works fine.

I don't have the test equipment to quantify things, but my sense so far is that the Anytone receiver is better at rejecting adjacent-channel interference than the Baofeng, and is at least as sensitive.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not likely, as the radio has dual-receive, and the receiver you're not transmitting on is still connected to tha antenna even while transmitting. If I'm transmitting on channel A, receiver B is still active, and can receive signals even while A is transmitting. It is possible to have a full-duplex conversation, if the other party's TX/RX freqs are the opposite of yours. But you'll get feedback if you're not using headphones or an earpiece.

prcguy

I think damage is possible when duplexing on the same band because there is no diplexer to isolate the transmitter and receiver as there is when doing VHF/UHF duplexing. One receiver may be subjected to the full power of the transmitter during same band duplexing.
prcguy

Not likely, as the radio has dual-receive, and the receiver you're not transmitting on is still connected to tha antenna even while transmitting. If I'm transmitting on channel A, receiver B is still active, and can receive signals even while A is transmitting. It is possible to have a full-duplex conversation, if the other party's TX/RX freqs are the opposite of yours. But you'll get feedback if you're not using headphones or an earpiece.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One receiver may be subjected to the full power of the transmitter during same band duplexing.

Yes, just the same as any time you key the transmitter when the A and B frequencies are both in the same band. Transmitting on A channel does not disable the B receiver, or vice versa. The only difference between normal operation and repeating is that the audio comes from the mic instead of the opposite-channel receiver.

jk77

This brings up a question that I have. What is the difference between Puxing uv-973 and these Anytones? The Anytones seem to cost a lot more, but other than the faux spread spectrum and MW/HF/airband receive, I really don't see the difference.

BTW, in my opinion HF reception on an HT seems silly because to get any use out of it, you're going to have to hook it to an external antenna which, given the front ends on these cheaper radios, could easily overload the receiver. Also, shortwave broadcast radio is basically dying as more countries are finding it more economical to move to the internet for their broadcasts. The best receiver on these frequencies would receive USB/LSB ham transmissions, but only the Kenwood TH6A does that.

KD8DVR

This brings up a question that I have. What is the difference between Puxing uv-973 and these Anytones? The Anytones seem to cost a lot more, but other than the faux spread spectrum and MW/HF/airband receive, I really don't see the difference.

BTW, in my opinion HF reception on an HT seems silly because to get any use out of it, you're going to have to hook it to an external antenna which, given the front ends on these cheaper radios, could easily overload the receiver. Also, shortwave broadcast radio is basically dying as more countries are finding it more economical to move to the internet for their broadcasts. The best receiver on these frequencies would receive USB/LSB ham transmissions, but only the Kenwood TH6A does that.

hard to tell differences anymore. It seems they all add "features", repackage an old model and introduce it as a brand new product....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
My puxing uv-973 specifically warns against same band repeat. They state damage may occur.

There is no similar warning in the AnyTone manual, and given the full-duplex capability of the radio, the receivers have to be capable of receiving, even when the transmitter is transmitting on the same band.

prcguy

Using VHF as an example I suspect the active VHF receiver in the AnyTone handheld is pin diode isolated or has some other protection in repeat mode when the transmitter is also operating in the VHF band. You might be able to successfully repeat through the AnyTone within the same band from a very short distance but if you try and get any range it will probably not work.

Cross band repeat is much easier and diplexers that will work at 5w can be very small, fit within a handheld and work very well. I've built, aligned and installed dozens of repeaters in many bands and getting enough isolation between transmitter and receiver on the same band is not a trivial matter.
prcguy

There is no similar warning in the AnyTone manual, and given the full-duplex capability of the radio, the receivers have to be capable of receiving, even when the transmitter is transmitting on the same band.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You might be able to successfully repeat through the AnyTone within the same band from a very short distance but if you try and get any range it will probably not work.

That's pretty much what happens. When repeating same-band with a weak signal, you get this cycle:

1. User keys up
2. Repeater detects the signal and keys up
3. Output signal desenses the receiver enough so that input signal is no longer detected
4. Repeater unkeys, desensing stops
5. Go to step 2 until user unkeys

Repeating cross-band means a much weaker input signal can be repeated without triggering the cycle above.

beleeson

I just received a replacement antenna from Ed @ Import. Looks like the original antenna is not meeting 220 MHz performance expectations. I had no idea until the replacement antenna showed up in the mail with a note. Another reason why I really like dealing with Ed @ Import. Class act distributor! Thanks Ed!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I did as well. If you look at the label on the original antenna (a tiny thing inside the connector) it only claims to be dual-band, so its poor 220 performance is not surprising. I haven't tested the new one to compare performance yet.

Kudos to Ed.

prcguy

Same here, that's why I prefer to buy these types of radios through Ed. I've used the stock antenna on 220 and it seemed to work fine but I'll do a gain comparison between the two when I get time.
prcguy

I just received a replacement antenna from Ed @ Import. Looks like the original antenna is not meeting 220 MHz performance expectations. I had no idea until the replacement antenna showed up in the mail with a note. Another reason why I really like dealing with Ed @ Import. Class act distributor! Thanks Ed!

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
AT-3318UV-E my radio a “Lemon”?

AT-3318UV-E my radio a “Lemon”?

The following is an excerpt from a short correspondence with Ed at import communications with an apparent initial problem with my new AT-3318UV-E radio and the subsequently other issues that arose with it.

At first I thought it was the user (me) problem by getting to know the radio and programing software i.e. a learning curve. It could still be me, however, now I believe it could be a bad component in the radio itself.

I originally had an issue with the Main Band RX
The radio works fine on all Bands (2m 1 1¼ & 70cm). Have the correct Rubber Ant (134-174,223,400-470).

However when switching to the Main Band in either CH or VFO Mode the radio is not receiving signal.

It transmits OK, for if I key up on the main band and then switch quickly to the same frequency on the sub band I get the repeater squelch tail or I’ll receive NOAAA WX or any other band with repeater or decent strong signal ok, but again this only on the Sub Band.

On the Main Band, This is interesting, If I set the squelch to “0”, I’ll receive the signal OK. As soon as I set the squelch is set to “1” or greater there is no signal received, especially any strong signal that should normally blow throw the any squelch setting especially a lower one.

So it seems receive on the main band is OK but perhaps the squelch circuit on the main band is the issue i.e. it seems the squelch can be off or on, on being at full max setting?

I tried resetting the radio with a factory reset…No Change with the Main Band with RX issue.

The radio is functional only if I use it in “Single Band” mode, and that band is using the “Sub Band” as a working primary.

Ed said to check signaling options via the software,which I checked were OK,
No special functions, only a few frequencies and CTCSS encode only were programed.

Ed also stated if the problem did not clear he would replace it.

The - Main Band RX Issue which seemed to momentary to clear up after doing another factory reset and reprogramming the radio. (It worked well for me Wednesday afternoon 11-26-14) However, shortly after the QSO, a more serious problem developed (or has this been the original problem initially from the start???).

After this QSO, Turned off the radio, when the radio was turned back on, it reset itself to factory default losing the previously programed data!!!
Examples: (In a series of 4 times turning on/off in sequence.
(1)When turning on the radio I’ll get the “Welcome” screen then the display will show in the ”main band” 000.0000,
(2) turn the radio OFF and ON the main band showed FFFF.FFF,

(3) repeat OFF/ON Display will show normal “ Factory Default” frequencies but the display will indicate the key pad is locked and it was.

(4) Turn OFF / On the radio seems to be in a “normal state”

Factory re-set the radio, reprogram the radio, this Cycle then repeats…

Also now when programing the radio it will occasionally ask for a “password” when none has been programmed in the first place!

I believe the radio’s microprocessor or some component is flakey and unstable. Either memory is lost when powered down or perhaps it’s a bad microprocessor chip or other component.

I have given up on this particular radio and therefore am returning it.

According to Ed they have had no problems with the AT-3318UV-E radio.
Perhaps as things would have it. I have received the “First” lemon.(Hopefully the last)

I’ll see what’s happens when I get the replacement radio.

Right now, there is one strike against AnyTone.

[FONT=&quot]Ed at Import Communications, However, has been excellent to deal with.

Any other similar experiences with this radio out there?

Max Powers:confused::cool:
[/FONT]

prcguy

Mine has been working flawless and has no signs of what you describe. My only problem is remembering certain aspects of the radio like when scanning a specific bank you have to make sure you are on one of the channels of the bank to scan when switching to bank mode, otherwise it will add the channel your on to the bank you select for scanning.

The more I use the radio the more I see its got better performance and useable features than the various Baofeng and Wouxun radios I've had.
prcguy

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nothing like that with either of the radios I bought. Have Ed repair or replace the radio. He seems to be a good guy.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Ed has already shipped out a new body of the radio, while my "lemon" has been shipped back.

Hopefully, mine was the only lemon unless this user / operator is the "lemon" ???
I'll see with the replacement radio what happens:roll:

Now I am seriously thinking about the tri band mobile. But I'll hold a bit to see how the hand held does :eek:

Max :cool:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
AT-3318UV-E my radio was a "LEMON"!

Ed has already shipped out a new body of the radio, while my "lemon" has been shipped back.

Hopefully, mine was the only lemon unless this user / operator is the "lemon" ???
I'll see with the replacement radio what happens:roll:

Now I am seriously thinking about the tri band mobile. But I'll hold a bit to see how the hand held does :eek:

Max :cool:

My AT-3318UV-E my radio was indeed a "LEMON"!

Got the replacement body yesterday from Ed, programmed it and tested it. NO PROBLEMS:D!

Ed got my radio turned it on and it FAILED a number of times. Read the radio via computer software and it has not failed since, but he does not trust it
icon6.gif
He put on the shelf for further testing:roll:.

So I did received that "rare" lemon radio from AnyTone. it happens in electronics.

However, Great customer service... Thanks Ed :D!

On the list now for the Tri Bander Mobile...we will see what happens when this baby comes in...

Max:cool:

prcguy

I had time to test the replacement tri-band antenna today and results are good. The replacement is very slightly worse on VHF measured in the 2m ham band and about .5 to 1dB down from the stock antenna. On 220 amateur the replacement is between 5 and 6dB better. On UHF amateur both antennas measure exactly the same.

Test was performed using an Agilent RF power meter with pickup antenna and the Anytone handheld, hand held, about 6ft from the pickup antenna.
prcguy

Same here, that's why I prefer to buy these types of radios through Ed. I've used the stock antenna on 220 and it seemed to work fine but I'll do a gain comparison between the two when I get time.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.