New BM DMR Talkgroup (Aviation Chat)

Would you be interested in an Aviation Chat talkgroup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
I have also posted this on the BrandMeister Talkgroup 31648 facebook page, Just wanted to put this out to people that might not be part of that. I am interested in creating a talkgroup. I submitted a request through BrandMeister but was told that they are asking people to use their personal ID as a group call talkgroup as they are behind. I have an ID I can use for this but had a couple of questions.
The talkgroup I wanted to create was "Aviation Chat". it woulds be for anyone interested in all aspects of aviation. Including civil and military aviation, not just airplanes but helicopters as well. From Following/Tracking interesting flights, aircraft spotting, aviation scanner listeners to just general aviation enthusiast chat and news.
My biggest question would be if anyone would be interested and if it would be worth making a talkgroup for that. I do have an ID I could use for this purpose but how safe is just handing out your DMR ID for everyone to use as a talkgroup? All information would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to moving forward with this.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If it gains traction, just apply for a second DMR ID and use that. I forget if it was immediate or took a day or two.

Personally, I prefer to read through posts via a forum as I find it efficient.

W2PDX

I think it's a great idea and I could see it gaining traction as a lot of hams seem to be interested in the various facets of aviation. I would check it out if it was created.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I think it's a great idea and I could see it gaining traction as a lot of hams seem to be interested in the various facets of aviation. I would check it out if it was created.
Awesome! I will post here when something more definitive happens.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
If it gains traction, just apply for a second DMR ID and use that. I forget if it was immediate or took a day or two.

Personally, I prefer to read through posts via a forum as I find it efficient.

I have a second DMR ID I could use and I am considering this option. My question to that would be, other than here and Facebook how would one advertise or promote it due to it not being published on an “official” list?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Someone on facebook mentioned switching to the TGIF network. I currently run a MMDVM with pi star and I know it has the option for TGIF. What would be the advantage (other than them creating a talkgroup) ti switching from brand widget to TGIF?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
There are amateur radio forums/websites out there; one in particular is quite popular, QRZ.com. Once you get things configured and working, perhaps run a net at least once a week to get things started. At that point write an article that you can copy and paste/email to sites that allow that. Various radio clubs may also copy/link to the article on their own websites and Facebook pages.

While discussions and Q&A will typically evolve organically, you should have a list of weekly topics for the net. Additionally, you should have developed the corresponding content on your Facebook page, listing the time of the net along with the talk group.

I am unable to provide feedback on the advantage of one network over the other due to unfamiliarity.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
There are amateur radio forums/websites out there; one in particular is quite popular, QRZ.com. Once you get things configured and working, perhaps run a net at least once a week to get things started. At that point write an article that you can copy and paste/email to sites that allow that. Various radio clubs may also copy/link to the article on their own websites and Facebook pages.

While discussions and Q&A will typically evolve organically, you should have a list of weekly topics for the net. Additionally, you should have developed the corresponding content on your Facebook page, listing the time of the net along with the talk group.

I am unable to provide feedback on the advantage of one network over the other due to unfamiliarity.
Thank you for the info, I will definitely try this once I get it all up and running.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone that replied. I have decided to use my DMR ID on brandmeister for this talkgroup (3141442). We will give it a try and see how it goes. I will be working 72Hrs on/72Hrs off for a while but will be on the talkgroup most of my time off. I will decide on a net at some point but not right off the bat. Here is the link for the Facebook page, Please feel free to join!

W2PDX

So has there been any activity? I’ve listened a few times and dropped my call sign but nothing but crickets. Also it’s too bad you couldn’t get a TG number like 2992 or something aviation related.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
So has there been any activity? I’ve listened a few times and dropped my call sign but nothing but crickets. Also it’s too bad you couldn’t get a TG number like 2992 or something aviation related.

No activity really. I see that you have tried it several times. I am currently on the talkgroup now and will be for the majority of the morning and afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.