New Digital Scanner Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZMAN54

I currently have the Radio Shack Pro-2051 Scanner and want to buy a new digital scanner. The reason i want to upgrade is on my current scanner most of the time i hear only 1 side of the conversation. I am torn between a base\mobile to a handheld. I have looked at the Uniden Beartracker 885 with the CB option and the Uniden's BCD996P2. I realize the Beartracker is limited in what it can do as a scanner. I do like the idea of the CB and the Beartracker option but not all necessary. I have read post here where you can edit the file on the SD card to change the mile range of the 885 scanner. With that in mind would the Beartracker 885 serve me well for picking up local police\Highway patrol and be able to hear both sides of the conversation? On the other side I have been researching the BCD996P2 and it seems to be a good digital scanner but I am confused on these keys you may have to buy. I have read that Uniden charges for them and I have read that Whistler does not. Can someone please give me some professional advice as to a Digital Scanner Recommendation. I am not sold on any manufacture to the other. Just want to be able hear both sides of the conversation. I do not want to buy one only to find I have to buy several more things to make it work for my needs. Thanks For the Help!!

DMR Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00]

ProVoice EDACS Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00]

NXDN Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @MZMAN54 and welcome to posting here at Radio Reference! I see you joined way back in 2012.

In order to be sure that we answer your questions to the best of our ability, it would help to know what agency or agencies that you want to monitor. Then we can advise you of what you would need from each scanner vendor to accomplish the task.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I currently have the Radio Shack Pro-2051 Scanner and want to buy a new digital scanner. The reason i want to upgrade is on my current scanner most of the time i hear only 1 side of the conversation. I am torn between a base\mobile to a handheld. I have looked at the Uniden Beartracker 885 with the CB option and the Uniden's BCD996P2. I realize the Beartracker is limited in what it can do as a scanner. I do like the idea of the CB and the Beartracker option but not all necessary. I have read post here where you can edit the file on the SD card to change the mile range of the 885 scanner. With that in mind would the Beartracker 885 serve me well for picking up local police\Highway patrol and be able to hear both sides of the conversation? On the other side I have been researching the BCD996P2 and it seems to be a good digital scanner but I am confused on these keys you may have to buy. I have read that Uniden charges for them and I have read that Whistler does not. Can someone please give me some professional advice as to a Digital Scanner Recommendation. I am not sold on any manufacture to the other. Just want to be able hear both sides of the conversation. I do not want to buy one only to find I have to buy several more things to make it work for my needs. Thanks For the Help!!

DMR Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00]

ProVoice EDACS Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00]

NXDN Uniden Upgrade Key
[Add $75.00
In addition to providing what area & systems you want to monitor, as K4EET has asked, you should also rethink which, if any, of the Uniden upgrades that you may need. First, tho, the prices you list are those that one of the online sellers would charge to install the key for you. You can save $15 to $25 per key by purchasing directly from Uniden. In all likelihood, the ProVoice upgrade would be a waste of time & money. EDACS systems that use ProVoice are a dying breed. The manufacturer no longer supports the equipment, and most of the systems that used it either have already moved to a different format (quite often P25 Phase II), or plan to transition off of EDACS in the near future.

You might find some agencies within range that use DMR. NXDN is possible, but not as likely. Again, your location will be the key to getting you an accurate suggestion.

For the BearTracker 885, you have little flexibility in controlling what you can hear. While you can manipulate the range, you don't have the option of creating a list of only what is of interest to you.

As far as hearing 'both sides of the conversation', that is going to be dependent on the agency involved. Here in Texas, the DPS (Highway Patrol) uses channels (in some areas) where the base transmits on one frequency, and the mobile unit responds on an entirely different one. But even with both frequencies entered, you might not here the mobile side unless you are very close, within a couple of miles or less. That's especially the case where the officer in the field is using a portable (handheld) radio rather than a mobile unit installed in a vehicle.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I have been researching the BCD996P2 and it seems to be a good digital scanner but I am confused on these keys you may have to buy.
Hi there & welcome to the forums!
Do you have any interest in monitoring anything other than law enforcement, fire, EMS, etc? There'd be no reason to purchase DMR or NXDN upgrades if you have no intentions of monitoring businesses, educational institutions, hospital ops, digital amateur radio, hotels, etc. A simple search of the Radioreference database will reveal what DMR or NXDN frequencies or systems are in use in your area so you can make the decision on whether or not you want to purchase the upgrades. DMR is by far the most used of the 3. Today there are fewer than 50 known Provoice systems in service in the USA, they are quite antiquated and are at or nearing their EOL

Can someone please give me some professional advice as to a Digital Scanner Recommendation. I am not sold on any manufacture to the other. Just want to be able hear both sides of the conversation. I do not want to buy one only to find I have to buy several more things to make it work for my needs. Thanks For the Help!!
Where are you located? Can't make a recommendation without knowing what you intend to monitor

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I tried the 885 in my OTR truck and it fell flat. Not so good of a scanner and an even worse CB, IMHO. Good concept in theory, but in reality not so much.

MZMAN54

Thanks Everyone for the quick response. I am not interested in picking up the schools,business and such. Just law enforcement in my area and while traveling. The GPS intrigued me on the Beartracker 885 so I would not have to find the Police in the area while driving. Here is a list of a couple of towns I want to pick up. And maybe it a user problem\error in setting up this scanner i have now to make it work. Not hearing both sides of the conversion may be a problem with a new radio if I am understanding the info supplied. Thanks again for the help.

Galesburg
NextLevel.gif

STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois
Project 25 Phase II
Police using talkgroup 1929 for some operations.
Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
460.10000 KCP286 RM156.7 PLGalesburg PolicePolice: Primary FMN Law Dispatch
460.45000 KCP286 RMCC 1
TG 1
SL 1
Gale Police DMRPolice: Tactical DMR Law Tac
460.45000 KCP286 RM156.7 PLGale Police OpsPolice: Operations/Explorers FMN Law Tac
151.29500 WPCK995 RM156.7 PLGalesburg FireFire: Dispatch FMN Fire Dispatch
154.01000 WPCK995 MGalesburgFireMXFire: Mobile Extenders FMN Fire-Tac
159.26250 WPCK995 RMGalesburg Fire BFire FMN Fire-Tac
154.04000 KSH388 BMCSQGale W/St/PkWater / Streets / Parks FMN Public Works
451.05000 WPTY879 F125 DPLGalesburg WDDWater Data (to Mississippi River) FMN Data
155.83500 KCJ548 RM88.5 PLGale SanitarySanitary District FMN Public Works
453.16250 KCJ548 RMGale Sanit DataSanitary District: Data (CSQ) Telm Data
453.42500 WQX209 RM156.7 PLGalesburgTransitGalesburg Transit: Buses FMN Transportation
Henderson
NextLevel.gif

Henderson Fire Protection District
Knoxville
NextLevel.gif

Knoxville Community Fire Protection District
Project 25 Phase II
Knoxville Police will be migrating to Starcom21 (?)
154.80000 WPPZ758 BM162.2 PLKnxvl PolicePolice FMN Law Dispatch
155.94000 KNBQ243 BM136.5 PLKnoxville PWPublic Works FMN Public Works
154.43000 KSF683 BM103.5 PLKnox FiregroundFireground FMN Fire-Tac

Knox County 911 / ETSB
NextLevel.gif

As of May 3rd all Knox County Fire will be using 151.115 except Galesburg and Abingdon. This is to avoid interference from PeoCo on 154.37.
Agencies: Altona, Elba-Salem, E. Galesburg, Henderson, Knoxville, Maquon, Oneida Wataga, Rio, Victoria-Copley, Williamsfield
151.11500 WQAB208 BM114.8 PLKnox County FireFire: Tone-Outs / Dispatch - Countywide FMN Fire Dispatch
453.48750 WPLW646 FKnox 911 RF-T1Fire: Link to Remote Tx on 151.115 (not D023) FMN Fire Dispatch
453.56250 WPLW646 F156.7 PLKnox 911 RF-T2Fire: Link to Remote Tx on 151.115 FMN Fire Dispatch
458.48750 WPLW646 FKnox 911 RF3Fire: Remote Link (Rio) FMN Fire Dispatch
458.56250 WPLW646 F156.7 PLKnox 911 RF4Fire: Remote Link (Maquon) FMN Fire Dispatch
154.19000 WQLW553 BMKnoxFire Glv/ClvFire: Dispatch - Galva / Clover Township FMN Fire Dispatch
154.82250 WQDI399 RM167.9 PLKnox Fire AVLFire: Automatic Vehicle Locators (Data) FMN Data
Knox County Government
NextLevel.gif

Project 25 Phase II
Sheriff is using talkgroup 1926. It is simulcast on VHF.
155.53500 KSC430 RM136.5 PLKnox SheriffSheriff: Dispatch [Ch 1] (Simulcast SC21 TG 1926) FMN Law Dispatch
151.14500 KSC430 MKnox Sheriff MXSheriff: Mobile Extenders FMN Law Tac
155.49000 KSC430 BM136.5 PLKnox Shrf Alt2Sheriff: Alternate [Ch 2] FMN Law Tac
159.15750 KSC430 RMCC 1
TG 1
SL *
Knox Shrf JailSheriff: Jail (TG 1/2) DMR Corrections
453.70000 KNDZ876 RMKnox ESDAESDA FMN Emergency Ops
159.12000 KSE372 RM179.9 PLKnox HighwayHighway Department FMN Public Works
453.81250 WPOX945 RM074 DPLKnox HouseAuthCounty Housing Authority FMN Public Works

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your honest opinion
Taking a quick look at your county, Knox, in the database, as well as your adjacent counties in Illinois, this is what I see:
For Knox. it appears that your Sheriff's office uses a talkgroup on the Illinois statewide system, STARCOM21, but that is also simulcast on their Vhf frequency. Some of your adjacent counties also have limited usage of the state's system, but Peoria County appears to have a number of agencies on STARCOM. STARCOM21 is a P25 (digital) system that is capable of being used in Phase II, though most talkgroups, for now, are only Phase I. Someone in the Illinois forum might be better able to clarify whether there are known plans for more of your counties' agencies to move to the statewide system.

As to DMR, your S.O. uses that mode for the jail. Abingdon uses DMR for their PD dispatch, and Galesburg PD has a tactical channel that uses DMR. There are a few channels listed as DMR in some of your adjacent counties, and one, Monmouth PD in Warren county, is shown as using NXDN. You would need to review those, and then determine whether or nor you want the DMR or NXDN upgrade.

As to hearing only one side of the conversation:
Looking at your county, I see several channels tagged as mobile extenders.

1612034750365.png
1612034839405.png
Those normally are often used so that an officer, using a handheld on that frequency, can transmit back to their vehicle, which then relays the voice traffic back to the dispatch center. You would only hear one side of a conversation on these frequencies, and even then, you would need to be very close to the unit.

You also have two channels labeled as remote links. These might be used to forward radio traffic from a part of the county where repeater coverage for units in that area has poor reception. These may be used to relay a transmission back to dispatch from the weak signal area. Again, you would only hear one side of the radio traffic.
1612035334179.png
Your current scanner, the Pro-2051, is not a digital scanner, so you would not be able to hear anything on STARCOM unless it is also patched to one of the conventional frequencies listed. Both DMR & NXDN are beyond the capabilities of your 2051.

MZMAN54

Taking a quick look at your county, Knox, in the database, as well as your adjacent counties in Illinois, this is what I see:
For Knox. it appears that your Sheriff's office uses a talkgroup on the Illinois statewide system, STARCOM21, but that is also simulcast on their Vhf frequency. Some of your adjacent counties also have limited usage of the state's system, but Peoria County appears to have a number of agencies on STARCOM. STARCOM21 is a P25 (digital) system that is capable of being used in Phase II, though most talkgroups, for now, are only Phase I. Someone in the Illinois forum might be better able to clarify whether there are known plans for more of your counties' agencies to move to the statewide system.

As to DMR, your S.O. uses that mode for the jail. Abingdon uses DMR for their PD dispatch, and Galesburg PD has a tactical channel that uses DMR. There are a few channels listed as DMR in some of your adjacent counties, and one, Monmouth PD in Warren county, is shown as using NXDN. You would need to review those, and then determine whether or nor you want the DMR or NXDN upgrade.

As to hearing only one side of the conversation:
Looking at your county, I see several channels tagged as mobile extenders.

View attachment 97993
View attachment 97994
Those normally are often used so that an officer, using a handheld on that frequency, can transmit back to their vehicle, which then relays the voice traffic back to the dispatch center. You would only hear one side of a conversation on these frequencies, and even then, you would need to be very close to the unit.

You also have two channels labeled as remote links. These might be used to forward radio traffic from a part of the county where repeater coverage for units in that area has poor reception. These may be used to relay a transmission back to dispatch from the weak signal area. Again, you would only hear one side of the radio traffic.
View attachment 97995
Your current scanner, the Pro-2051, is not a digital scanner, so you would not be able to hear anything on STARCOM unless it is also patched to one of the conventional frequencies listed. Both DMR & NXDN are beyond the capabilities of your 2051.
Thanks Alot Steve for digging into it for me. WOW How do you keep it all straight? So I need to get a scanner that i can upgrade with DMR and NXDN if it does not come with the scanner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Alot Steve for digging into it for me. WOW How do you keep it all straight? So I need to get a scanner that i can upgrade with DMR and NXDN if it does not come with the scanner?
Unless less you wanted that one agency in Warren County, I would not bother with NXDN. While you're not overrun with DMR users, there are some that you might want, so that capability might be to your advantage.

Your county does not have much (yet) on STARCOM, but even if more of your county agencies move there, the site in your county is not simulcast. Peoria County has a simulcast site on STARCOM, but you may be far enough away that simulcast won't bother you. That's something that you may be able to get answered in the Illinois forum.

Most of STARCOM is using P25 Phase I, but the system is capable of P25 Phase II, so I would make sure that whatever you buy is Phase II capable.

In the Whistler scanners, a TRX-1 (handheld) or TRX-2 (base/mobile) would give you P25 Phase I or Phase II, plus DMR & NXDN. Those scanners have the full RadioReference database in them via Micro-SD card. While none of the Whistler scanners truly track a DMR or NXDN system, you can program the talkgroups you want, and if the system is not extremely busy, they may do a reasonably good jov.

While these next Whistler models are discontinued, you can still find them, especially pre-owned. They also have the database, and will do P25 Phase I or II, along with DMR, but are not capable of NXDN:
WS1080 or WS1088 (handhelds)
WS1095 or WS1098 (base/mobile)

In the Uniden line, the BC325P2 or BCD996P2 would work, but you would need to add the DMR upgrade if you want that option. These can be programmed with FreeSCAN for P25, but you would, instead, need ProScan or ARC-XT for programming DMR or NXDN.

The BCD436HP & SDS100 (handheld), and BCD536HP and SDS200 (base/mobile) are database scanners, which makes them easy to use while traveling if you also use a GPS. The DMR upgrade would be needed if you wanted that mode. Again, for only that single agency, I would not bother with NXDN unless you really felt it was needed. The SDS series scanners are overkill for your area, as they were designed to deal with Simulcast systems. As noted, only your neighboring Peoria County has a simulcast site, and at your distance, it might not be an issue. (I have a number of simulcast systems here in the DFW area, but as I am far enough away, I don't have problems.) If you planned to travel with your scanner, and would be going to, or passing through, a large metro area, then it's almost a certainty that you'll run into simulcast systems. These database scanners can be programmed with Sentinel, which is provided by Uniden at no cost. ProScan and ARC536 have more capabilities, but Sentinel is quite useful. For the database scanners, you can update the database in the Sentinel software, then write that data to the scanner. With the updated info loaded in the scanner, you can get started scanning with entering your location, and a range, using the main database.

MZMAN54

Unless less you wanted that one agency in Warren County, I would not bother with NXDN. While you're not overrun with DMR users, there are some that you might want, so that capability might be to your advantage.

Your county does not have much (yet) on STARCOM, but even if more of your county agencies move there, the site in your county is not simulcast. Peoria County has a simulcast site on STARCOM, but you may be far enough away that simulcast won't bother you. That's something that you may be able to get answered in the Illinois forum.

Most of STARCOM is using P25 Phase I, but the system is capable of P25 Phase II, so I would make sure that whatever you buy is Phase II capable.

In the Whistler scanners, a TRX-1 (handheld) or TRX-2 (base/mobile) would give you P25 Phase I or Phase II, plus DMR & NXDN. Those scanners have the full RadioReference database in them via Micro-SD card. While none of the Whistler scanners truly track a DMR or NXDN system, you can program the talkgroups you want, and if the system is not extremely busy, they may do a reasonably good jov.

While these next Whistler models are discontinued, you can still find them, especially pre-owned. They also have the database, and will do P25 Phase I or II, along with DMR, but are not capable of NXDN:
WS1080 or WS1088 (handhelds)
WS1095 or WS1098 (base/mobile)

In the Uniden line, the BC325P2 or BCD996P2 would work, but you would need to add the DMR upgrade if you want that option. These can be programmed with FreeSCAN for P25, but you would, instead, need ProScan or ARC-XT for programming DMR or NXDN.

The BCD436HP & SDS100 (handheld), and BCD536HP and SDS200 (base/mobile) are database scanners, which makes them easy to use while traveling if you also use a GPS. The DMR upgrade would be needed if you wanted that mode. Again, for only that single agency, I would not bother with NXDN unless you really felt it was needed. The SDS series scanners are overkill for your area, as they were designed to deal with Simulcast systems. As noted, only your neighboring Peoria County has a simulcast site, and at your distance, it might not be an issue. (I have a number of simulcast systems here in the DFW area, but as I am far enough away, I don't have problems.) If you planned to travel with your scanner, and would be going to, or passing through, a large metro area, then it's almost a certainty that you'll run into simulcast systems. These database scanners can be programmed with Sentinel, which is provided by Uniden at no cost. ProScan and ARC536 have more capabilities, but Sentinel is quite useful. For the database scanners, you can update the database in the Sentinel software, then write that data to the scanner. With the updated info loaded in the scanner, you can get started scanning with entering your location, and a range, using the main database.
Again Thanks Steve, I will go back to surfing to see what is out there on the models you listed above. I was actually just looking at the Whistler TRX2 scanner this afternoon. I appreciate your help

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Again Thanks Steve, I will go back to surfing to see what is out there on the models you listed above. I was actually just looking at the Whistler TRX2 scanner this afternoon. I appreciate your help
The two TRX models have had some steep discounts in the last few weeks. Those might be gone now, but keep your eyes open. Don't overlook garage or estate sales, pawn shops, and thrift stores. Sometimes you can find a diamond in a ditch because the seller has no idea what the radio is actually worth, and they just want to get rid of it.

This sale is over, but here's an example of what the sale price was.

MZMAN54

The two TRX models have had some steep discounts in the last few weeks. Those might be gone now, but keep your eyes open. Don't overlook garage or estate sales, pawn shops, and thrift stores. Sometimes you can find a diamond in a ditch because the seller has no idea what the radio is actually worth, and they just want to get rid of it.

This sale is over, but here's an example of what the sale price was.
Steve
Pulled the plug on the TRX-1 Today. Amazon dropped the price to $399.00. I have downloaded the software so i can get used to it. Here is the Amazon link

Thanks
Mike

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the addiction Mike. I bet the TRX-1 will work well for Galesburg and the ISP on Starcom. I was going to recommend the Uniden 325P2 which I use up here in the north burbs of Chicago. It works well for me. But the TRX-1 is also a fine radio and you got it at a great price. I think you will need to be a subscriber to Radioreference in order to download data from the database into your radio. One thing you will learn with scanners is that nothing ever stays stagnant. That goes for radios as well as frequencies and trunk systems too. Learn how to program the radio and you'll really love the radio and the hobby.
Joe Buffalo Grove, IL

MZMAN54

Welcome to the addiction Mike. I bet the TRX-1 will work well for Galesburg and the ISP on Starcom. I was going to recommend the Uniden 325P2 which I use up here in the north burbs of Chicago. It works well for me. But the TRX-1 is also a fine radio and you got it at a great price. I think you will need to be a subscriber to Radioreference in order to download data from the database into your radio. One thing you will learn with scanners is that nothing ever stays stagnant. That goes for radios as well as frequencies and trunk systems too. Learn how to program the radio and you'll really love the radio and the hobby.
Joe Buffalo Grove, IL
Thanks, Joe looking forward to messing with it. Looks like Covid is going to be around for a while so might as well be doing something.

MZMAN54

To all that help with the great info THANKS. Like I mentioned I did buy the Whistler TRX-1 Handheld Scanner. For what I am using it for it works great. I bought the Remtronix Antenna and it is a welcome addition to the scanner. Also got the Panasonic BQ-CC55 Battery Charger with 2 sets of the Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries and they are working great as well. Last about 10hrs on average and just 2-3 hrs to charge. The sound is real clear on it and the range is amazing. The one thing I need to work on is the sound is not very loud when in my truck or car. So an Amplified Ext Speaker is in the budget. Like most have said it does take a little time getting use to the software not difficult though. I am still trying to tweak a few things on it but all in all I am enjoying my new scanner. Thanks Again Gang!!

Status
Not open for further replies.