AR-DV1 New DV1-Control Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

morfis

Ah OK, I did make a point of making sure that I used the actual frequencies rather than the channel names as I do fully understand that side.

Yes, but a lot of people won't be tuning to the frequency!

And yes WTR lookup can be an issue, but is still valid for most lookups I'd say.

Not a resource i use much but anything that doesn't require you to fiddle about with their search system has got to be good!

morfis

One option I could add is to detect the use of a channel wrongly and replace with the real freq!!
Might also need to allow for offset ATC transmitters too - a potential 'nice' feature (though of less use nowadays) would be highlighting best ATC offset frequency, if one is relevant, based on location.

Mouse speed adjustment slider is currently too small for easy useage.

I expect left click to move freq up not down for some reason. No idea if that is just the way I tend to use a mouse and puck. Would it be possible to have a setting to reverse the current operation?

Is it possible to make the window edges 'sticky' - so that a prefered set of windows open/positioned can be raised to focus height rather than having to be done individually (probably a proper term for this?). Freq info child window doesn't show on my taskbar so viewing can involve moving things or going to the main control panel and toggling twice.

Window button yellow highlights:
Freq info highlighted when toggled and window opens closes with toggle
Freq scope, not highlighted and toggling reopens the scope on my main monitor, but not with focus, rather than closing it to be reopened in original position if required later.
Search and memory highlighted but as it opens as part of main control doesn't actually need to be
Search log not highlighted and doesn't toggle
Recordings opens the recorder , highlights and toggles. From that the Player can be opened, no toggle so it then remains open if recorder shut

Openeing the map from the freq info page doesn't toggle it's button highlight and needs a check for previously opened map...currently you can open a lot of maps on top of each other without noticing.

Liking the 'distance' feature and map pins for the frequency (perhaps have autozoom on by default rather than off?)

Last edited:

G8PTN

Hi Wayne,

Excellent application. I have a few minor comments, some of them have already been covered.
Comments are in the attached document (zipped)

Best Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• DV1_Control_v0_0_73_Comments.zip
    43.6 KB · Views: 19

m0taz

Hi Wayne, firstly thanks for making this available.

I downloaded the software, and have just started to have a play.
I really like how easy it is to setup memories, that worked really well for me and made the process so much more enjoyable.

I wasn't able to get the tick box "hold on busy" to work for me, it ticks OK and greys out the Hold for x sec but it didn't seem to hold on busy. I will give that another go, still finding my feet really.

I had one lock-up in scan mode, it paused on one freq and I wasn't able to restart the scan. I changed the scan bank from 0 to 1, and then back to 0 and it recovered. Haven't been able to repeat the lock-up, but I think it was after I added a freq in the memory bank manager.

Will continue to play, thanks.
Dave
M0TAZ

m0taz

I had a crash if you enter a freq in the mem manager, and before you commit it you double click and delete the text/entry.

m0taz

Looking up Freq resulted in some "corrupt" text being returned?

If I then scrolled up and down this redrew and corrected to readable text again.

morfis

Window button yellow highlights:
Freq info highlighted when toggled and window opens closes with toggle
Freq scope, not highlighted and toggling reopens the scope on my main monitor, but not with focus, rather than closing it to be reopened in original position if required later.
Search and memory highlighted but as it opens as part of main control doesn't actually need to be
Search log not highlighted and doesn't toggle
Recordings opens the recorder , highlights and toggles. From that the Player can be opened, no toggle so it then remains open if recorder shut

All remain the same in the latest version (0.0.87.0)

wayneataylor

For some reason I've not seen these comments, think notification emails went to spam. I'll go through and add anything relavent to my todo list!

Thanks all

morfis

Also, note that though the window shows the little 'resize' dots at the lower right corner it cannot be stretched to make it smaller or larger (which I was trying to do in an effort to have reasonable access to the mouse speed control)

Most of the other windows (not the extended main one with 'search and memory mode' and not the search log 'view') can be re-sized but internal boxes aren't scaled so resizing generally just leads to excessive background (an exception is the freq scope which does re-size correctlty)

Memory manager window has a 'X' top right but cannot be closed using it. Clicking it brings a warning Please save changes even if none have been made. Other daughter windows with the X do close.
Main window File>Exit item doesn't work. Has to be closed using the 'X'

Programme taskbar 'icon' is not very intuitive as it looks like a document link

Last edited:

morfis

Often on the internet the negative comments outweigh the positives in a way that doesn't reflect a true balance.

The clean and uncluttered interface is appreciated - there is some quite hideous software out there!
Control is reasonably fast (we are talking receiver here and not scanner)
The mapping works very well and apart from a minor niggle related to the way locations of frequency entries are stored (not delved into it but ATC transmitter sites, especially those where offsets are used....) it's a great feature. If tuning directly based on clicking a plotted TX and it would be even better but that's certainly not 'essential'.

For DV1 users wanting computer connection it's well worth giving it a try and helping Wayne develop it further by giving him some feedback.

Hi All

If anyone wants to help Beta test a new DV1 Control/Remote access program I am developing please request access to the private Facebook group at Log into Facebook | Facebook (Anyone that doesn't want to use FB please contact me direct by PM)

The main features are shown below:
  • Full computer control of most DV1 features
  • Live edit/view of all memories
  • Live edit of band search banks
  • Advanced scan/search functions
    • Search log - shows if frequency is already stored and allow easy adding if not
    • Frequency database - shows matching entries with distance from “HOME” location
      • Includes full OFCOM WTR database
      • Includes UK amateur repeaters & UK Airband
      • Also shows matches on a map
      • More databases/countries will be added in future versions
    • Full TCP/IP remote control, including audio using Client Server mode
      • Can be accessed from local network or on the Internet with suitable router configuration
      • Software runs in either Client or Server mode. Client mode functions identically to direct serial connected mode, but remotely.
    • ‘Bandscope’ function that shows band activity graphically and links to memories and frequency database
    • Software its fully written in C# and is a fully multi-threaded application giving a very responsive program
    • Currently only Windows is supported, but a MAC and maybe mobile clients are planned
Things to note
  • The software is currently in very early Beta mode, so no guarantee can be given that it won’t break things!
  • I’ve initially concentrated mainly on functionality rather than looks, so visual appearance isn’t great but will improve with future versions.
A few sample screenshots shown attached to whet your appetite.

Wayne

No photo description available.

I'm interested !!!

morfis

Busy with other things recently but just noticed there has been a update, will try it out as soon as I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.