New guy here

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Man

Hey all,
I just joined this forum looking to learn a few things. It's a little overwhelming with the amount of information here. I'm hoping you can help me out.
My wife used to listen to the Pasco Sheriff stream and was hooked to it. It's disabled now and she really wants to get a scanner.
Our anniversary is coming up in a few months and I want to buy her one, but I haven't the slightest idea on which one to get her.
It doesn't help that the research I've done on here says that Pasco is currently upgrading their system and will be converted off the 800 frequency in the next year or so.
I don't want to get her something and then it be useless within a year. Can you guys help out with a recommendation on an entry to mid level unit that won't be extinct in a year?

W4ILJ

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't help that the research I've done on here says that Pasco is currently upgrading their system and will be converted off the 800 frequency in the next year or so.

Where did you get this info from? Hopefully somebody that monitors Pasco county systems can help. What I see in the database a WS1095 or WS1065 would do just fine. Also a uniden bct15x would work as well.

B_Man

Where did you get this info from? Hopefully somebody that monitors Pasco county systems can help. What I see in the database a WS1095 or WS1065 would do just fine. Also a uniden bct15x would work as well.

I did some reading on here and found this post: http://forums.radioreference.com/fl...-forum/328718-pasco-going-digital-2018-a.html

There's a comment there that said the 800 frequency is one of the oldest in Fl. Maybe I'm just assuming, but that is how I interpreted it.
Like I said, I'm new to this and am trying to read up and learn instead of just getting on here and asking a blanket question and expecting a detailed response.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Pasco is migrating to a 700/800mhz P25 Phase II system... readily receivable by most modern scanners provided they do not use encryption. Their EDACS system is aging. They have a lot of work to do. They're adding four more tower sites, replacing a couple thousand radios, and overhauling their infrastructure. It will take a while.

B_Man

Thanks TBN.
I see in your signature you have a BCD325P2. Is that a fairly easy unit to setup and use? I'm reading the wiki on here trying to learn about it. BCD325P2 - The RadioReference Wiki
Would this be a good starter unit for a novice like me?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Pasco is migrating to a 700/800mhz P25 Phase II system... readily receivable by most modern scanners provided they do not use encryption. Their EDACS system is aging. They have a lot of work to do. They're adding four more tower sites, replacing a couple thousand radios, and overhauling their infrastructure. It will take a while.

Let me offer a slight correction... "readily receivable by most modern [high-end] scanners..."

Most lower-cost scanning receivers will probably not work on Phase II systems. Before you purchase, make sure that the model you're considering WILL work on a P25 phase II (two) system.

John

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Thanks TBN.
I see in your signature you have a BCD325P2. Is that a fairly easy unit to setup and use? I'm reading the wiki on here trying to learn about it. BCD325P2 - The RadioReference Wiki
Would this be a good starter unit for a novice like me?

The Home Patrol-2 or the BCD436HP is usually the best for novices. It includes the RR entire database and you can update it with basic computer skills. Honestly, I couldn't stand the over-reliance on the database and I sold both of them. I like to maintain my own stuff.

The BCD326P2 takes at least a moderate skill level. You have to know how frequencies, sites, and talkgroups relate to one another. You can program via hand or computer, but it still takes knowledge because you have to make the right selections when importing from the RR database (with a paid subscription).

That being said, the HP series never existed when I bough my first Uniden DMA scanner and it only took a couple days to figure out how to program systems from scratch. It just depends on your comfort level with technology and if you're willing to do some self-teaching.

B_Man

TBN,
What do you think about the Pro-668? Is that a fairly easy unit to setup? My wife keeps saying how she wants a scanner on an almost daily basis... I think I want to get her one sooner than later..

CanesFan95

But there are no scanners that work properly on simulcasting, if a P25 system uses multiple simulcast sites. You will get garbled transmissions and may even miss transmissions altogether.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
But there are no scanners that work properly on simulcasting, if a P25 system uses multiple simulcast sites. You will get garbled transmissions and may even miss transmissions altogether.

For the most part, simulcast issues can be completely avoided with an optimal antenna setup. At all of my installation sites I've spent hours mapping towers, calculating expected signal strength, and adjusting antenna positions. It takes a lot of work but it can be done.

B_Man

Well I pulled the trigger. I ordered a BCD436HP. It seemed to be a popular choice for a novice.
It should arrive next week so hopefully I can get it up and running ok.
I hope my wife likes it... These things aren't cheap! lol..

abbadabbado

pasco

my connection to pcso moved on . so now i have no real info. but about a month ago the neighbor across the street had his car broken into. of course the deputy seen my cameras an ask to view the footage they identfied the a h but . the deputy ask me about my scanner buy the cameras an computer set up he listened for a moment an commented that when the new radio system went live i would listen no more . i ask him why . all he said was chec out radioreference. at that time someone was broadcasting the pcso all talk groups all the time. i went to the site an sure enough there was tac 1 live . so what ever. i am migrating to marine an air ban ,if i hope it dont happen . also have been listening to pinellas county a lot .seen this morning pinellas sheriff is live on RR. so how long before they go silent sad

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
he listened for a moment an commented that when the new radio system went live i would listen no more . i ask him why . all he said was chec out radioreference. at that time someone was broadcasting the pcso all talk groups all the time.

This is why I will never broadcast a scanner feed online. It is just asking for the cops to ENC, use MDT, or use their cell phones more often for communications.

mitbr

This is why I will never broadcast a scanner feed online. It is just asking for the cops to ENC, use MDT, or use their cell phones more often for communications.

I have sent a pm to this braodcaster in hopes that he will stop broadcasting the pd talkgroups we will see what he does.

To the OP the 436hp is a great scanner you made a good choice.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.