New Juniata County Fire/EMS Dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

From what they have been saying, it sounds like only some of the fireground channels are moving to the digital system. That seems odd, but....

W3DMV

Think the list is getting out of whack

License WQNS272 is licensed as a trunking system. Base repeaters located at four
different locations. 453.2625, 453.5875, 460.1500, 460.3625, and 462.9500. (Ok in DB)

Permitted modes: 11K2F3E (Analog NFM), 8K10F1E (Digital p-25 phase-1) and 7K60FXE (Mototrbo)

----
License WQNC802 is licensed as a conventional system.

453.4125 Repeater (Ok)
453.5375 mobile (listed as B&M)
458.5375 mobile (listed as B&M)
460.5000 repeater (listed a B&M)

Permitted modes: 11K3F3E, 11K3F3E, 8K10F1E, and 7K60FXE

---

dmg1969

My question is why the county is only switching 4 of their 7 fire OPS channels to a P25 system and not also migrating fire/EMS dispatch. Is if for interoperability with out of county units? Are there plans to eventually switch everything over to a P25 system?

Septa3371CSX1

Most counties with volunteer fire/EMS agencies maintain analog dispatch frequencies for use by pagers. I don't know if anyone makes digital voice pagers but I imagine if so they would be rather expensive especially for a struggling volunteer fire department.

As for the other channels that are remaining analog there is a requirement (can't remember who requires it) that all fire radios have the ability to go to an analog simplex channel. Since analog simplex works best on a fireground that is likely why those frequencies are staying analog.

dmg1969

Most counties with volunteer fire/EMS agencies maintain analog dispatch frequencies for use by pagers. I don't know if anyone makes digital voice pagers but I imagine if so they would be rather expensive especially for a struggling volunteer fire department.

As for the other channels that are remaining analog there is a requirement (can't remember who requires it) that all fire radios have the ability to go to an analog simplex channel. Since analog simplex works best on a fireground that is likely why those frequencies are staying analog.

OK, thanks for explaining that. That would make sense then why larger cities can have all channels on a digital system. Most firefighters and EMS are professionals and not volunteers.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
The reason the licenses were done how they were is because they could only get a limited number of frequencies because they band had not yet opened up other freqs because of the narrowbanding. The OPS channels are digital because the base transmitters are all digital and it requires an analog converter to operate in analog so they stayed with digital and the three channels they're using as analog are simplex not in county's radios.

The fireground channels have Talk-Around enabled across the board if a user cannot reach the tower, they can press a button on their portable or mobile and go to Direct mode for local operations.

The county is working on purchasing a few more frequencies for EMS operations and Law Enforcement.

The new system, according to the last words, is to be online and in use by the end of MARCH.

dmg1969

OK. Now another question. Will it operate as a regular P25 system with sites or are sites not required for this type of setup? I just checked the database and the new system is there, but only the NFM frequencies and Audio options (NAC or CTCSS). I myself am still very new to digital scanning.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Dispatch will be simulcasted across all three towers.

OPS2 is P25 with NAC repeater at Tuscarora
OPS3 is P25 with NAC repeater at Shade (Richfield)
OPS4 is P25 with NAC repeater at Black Log
OPS5 is P25 with NAC repeater county-wide (not online yet)
OPS6-7-8 is analog with PL simplex non-county monitored

All information listed here:
Juniata County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

lobo8000

Analog Testing on 460.3625

I'm hearing fire chiefs from all over the county testing coverage on 460.3625 with PL 250.3 today. This is contrary to what the database says about that frequency being digital. Will this change?

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
They are testing Ops5 in analog mode across all towers as a simulcast. Once they verify coverage and overlap issues they're reprogramming it as Dispatch and then Ops5 will go back to P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.