New NC Corrections NXDN systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reconrider

Do you guys have a way of seeing when new licenses get added or do you manually search every day?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Do you guys have a way of seeing when new licenses get added or do you manually search every day?

I post a list of new NC grants each week and also email out the list.

Reconrider

I post a list of new NC grants each week and also email out the list.

I live in CT so the NC won't help me - Do you mind sharing the website that you use so I can follow it for CT?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I live in CT so the NC won't help me - Do you mind sharing the website that you use so I can follow it for CT?

I pull off the FCC website, but I will send you another link later this weekend when it comes out for the whole US

Reconrider

I pull off the FCC website, but I will send you another link later this weekend when it comes out for the whole US
I've searched CT on the fcc site and then sorted by latest date. Maybe you have an easier way.
And oh that would be great - anything to see new stuff is always better, the fcc site is so slow

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
After a long wait, the Women's prison has finally begun using the new NXDN radios on a regular basis. Heard an announcement tonight that any officer that did not have the new radio report to admin to pick it up. Hearing a fair amount of traffic on the system today and have submitted five talkgroups.

One interesting note on the new radios, hearing lots of accidental radio alarm activations since they have started using them.

NCDPS NXDN RAL.png

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Central Prison in Raleigh, which also holds a license for an NXDN system, is being heard a lot more, but it appears they are only using a NXDN single channel (NO CC) rather than a system. All traffic without TGs is on 453.050

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Central Prison in Raleigh, which also holds a license for an NXDN system, is being heard a lot more, but it appears they are only using a NXDN single channel (NO CC) rather than a system. All traffic without TGs is on 453.050

Today discovered Central Prison has gone live with a NXDN96 trunking system using a new RAN of 6 Site 28-6 and the freqs listed in the database. Appears TGs range from 152 to 162, however I'm a little to far/antenna is a little weak to pick it up good.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Four new prisons (Hyde, New Hanover, Pender and Tyrrell) have gotten NXDN licenses, bringing the total to 45 prisons

CCHLLM

The VIPER infrastructure scheme was originally designed as a 95% mobile and portable radio outside coverage system, not as a 95% portable radio coverage system. Therefore VIPER has more than a plethora of locations inside buildings all over NC with absolutely no viper coverage.

If an entity chooses to become a user of VIPER and requires 95% in-building VIPER coverage, then that entity will require the money to increase the infrastructure and connectivity in that coverage area in order to meet the 95% portable coverage goal.

Pick any metro geographical area in NC with a local entity trunked 700/800 system and compare the number of local entity trunk sites to the number of VIPER sites serving the same area. Unless there is appropriate connectivity infrastructure installed inside the building, a VIPER user entering the first 50 feet of the lower floors of the local courthouse or hospital or jail etc., is then likely toting a multi $K dead weight on his Sam Brown belt.

I worked in the public safety radio business and was a fire-rescue volunteer for nearly 40 years, and I can tell you that no matter what frequency/power/modulation scheme a radio system may possess, there is no such thing as 100% coverage inside anything built of masonry, steel, and dense concrete. Add in terrain and ground clutter and you have a further reduction in communication. I can name a plethora of locations where the local system has coverage due to the numerical superiority of numerous sites and VIPER has absolutely none. Dead locations inside structures are a fact of life in any system. Nothing but smart design and additional connectivity infrastructure and site modifications hold the possibility of resolving the problems.

Whatever the reason may be for going to NXDN, the efficacy of the necessary interops scheme with VIPER will be the telling factor as to whether the move is good, bad, or stoopid. I have an idea the choice of NXDN has a lot to do with a lower cost route to channel security and connectivity of comm infrastructure in a narrower and more specific purpose application.

Flyham

The VIPER infrastructure scheme was originally designed as a 95% mobile and portable radio outside coverage system, not as a 95% portable radio coverage system. Therefore VIPER has more than a plethora of locations inside buildings all over NC with absolutely no viper coverage.

If an entity chooses to become a user of VIPER and requires 95% in-building VIPER coverage, then that entity will require the money to increase the infrastructure and connectivity in that coverage area in order to meet the 95% portable coverage goal.

Pick any metro geographical area in NC with a local entity trunked 700/800 system and compare the number of local entity trunk sites to the number of VIPER sites serving the same area. Unless there is appropriate connectivity infrastructure installed inside the building, a VIPER user entering the first 50 feet of the lower floors of the local courthouse or hospital or jail etc., is then likely toting a multi $K dead weight on his Sam Brown belt.

I worked in the public safety radio business and was a fire-rescue volunteer for nearly 40 years, and I can tell you that no matter what frequency/power/modulation scheme a radio system may possess, there is no such thing as 100% coverage inside anything built of masonry, steel, and dense concrete. Add in terrain and ground clutter and you have a further reduction in communication. I can name a plethora of locations where the local system has coverage due to the numerical superiority of numerous sites and VIPER has absolutely none. Dead locations inside structures are a fact of life in any system. Nothing but smart design and additional connectivity infrastructure and site modifications hold the possibility of resolving the problems.

Whatever the reason may be for going to NXDN, the efficacy of the necessary interops scheme with VIPER will be the telling factor as to whether the move is good, bad, or stoopid. I have an idea the choice of NXDN has a lot to do with a lower cost route to channel security and connectivity of comm infrastructure in a narrower and more specific purpose application.

So there's a little sub-sect of Dept of Corrections known as Probation and Parole. Most of their life is spent within an assigned county - judicial area making various "house calls". In both my home county and county of employment, they very much enjoy and utilize both their respective VIPER TGs as well as local/county LEO related TGs. My point being that now a single agency has opted to muddy it's own waters and decided to have 2 digital modulation schemes, at least 2 different RF bands (3 if Vhf-LO is still in play) and obviously a plethora of different radio manufactures.
Now......what the DOC might could do is outfit their transport Vans & Buses as well of the POs vehicles with a Kenwood Single Head - Multi Mode/Multi RF Deck solution. Unfortunately that only covers the mobile/base component.

"Only the Nose Knows"

This and $1.49 will grab you a cup of the local gas station's finest brewed coffee.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
NC prison personnel mostly work INSIDE prison walls, don't go outside their assigned facility, they rarely go outside the walls. Prison personnel and don't need to contact units far away outside of their facility. They just don't need VIPER's wide area coverage, the farthest they get is maybe 500 yards from the prison's repeater.
Prison units just don't need interoperability with VIPER.
NXDN meets their needs at al ot cheaper cos.

Probation and Parole don't work inside of prisons.
They roam around their territories at many different locations, and need Viper's wide coverage and interoperability with local police and sheriff units.

brotherbosco

Premium Subscriber
Former CO here. Correctional officers also do medical transports for inmates to receive specialized care outside the walls, and occasionally transport to court hearings in other areas. Our radios were on the county net for that reason

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Former CO here. Correctional officers also do medical transports for inmates to receive specialized care outside the walls, and occasionally transport to court hearings in other areas. Our radios were on the county net for that reason

And from what I hear, NCDPS still has a large number of Viper TGs for outside trips or as you point out on county systems. From what I believe/heard the NXDN radios are for inside the prisons.

CCHLLM

Yeah, what he said. My state contacts say the NXDN radios do not replace VIPER radios at all. They will have both radio systems to access as needed.

The NXDN systems are for DOC facility ops and local incident ops without VIPER resources being required. In the event of a deployment situation, this practice takes the DOC ops and interops talkgroup loads off the VIPER sites near the deployment cluster, especially when there's a cast of thousands involved.

That unit-to-unit capability on the DOC side without having to compete with other entities for channel access is a big plus when the situation turns to feces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.