New Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman692

Hey! Just bought a used Pro-164 for $92 including shipping on ebay. I usually do a lot more research prior to purchasing, but I've been wanting a scanner and this seemed like to great a deal to pass up. Is that actually a good price? As far as I can tell the item only includes the scanner. I am unsure of what battery holder it has. I emailed the seller and asked.

Anyway, I am looking for some advice. For instance, what is the best program to use to program is and does RS sell the cable to do so? I am using this in Lafourche Parish and New Orleans, LA. I believe this will receive any agency that broadcasts correct? I am unsure how digital trunking works, but I know that the 164 doesn't have it. Still, I don't think anything in Louisiana uses it.

Any general opinions about the Pro-164?

Thanks for helping out an excited newb!

N8IAA

Nice conventional, and analog trunktracker. Unfortunately, your county and parish are on the statewide P-25 digital system. The 164 won't do this. Now, the good news, it can listen to railroads, marine, VHF and UHF milair. VHF and UHF conventional public service frequencies. Check out the database here on radio reference to see what you can monitor. Also, check out the Louisiana forum further down the page from this forum:)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.