New -> Sangean ATS-909X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
40hz tuning step on sideband?? What weed are those folks smokin'? And what in the world is a 'humane wake system'?? Is there really such a thing?? <LOL>

Pix are blocked from my work location, I'll have to look at it at home - I'm more wondering about selectivity and strong signal handling then all of these fancy bells and whistles...73 Mike

kilowa22

That sure is a steep price for portable radio. I wonder if it supports computer programming of the radio without a special hack? That would be a nice feature.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The tuning step should be selectable?, I think HWS is when the alarm starts off at a low volume, then gradually gets louder? Funny name they came up with :) I think it looks like a nice radio, too bad we wont see one in black with a RS badge.

PCJMedia

Well not really!

Before you say the price is steep, you should thank the importers for that. Here in Taiwan this radio will be 4000NT$ (around 125USD).

Just like the ATS909, here it's 3500NT$ (around 110USD)

The mark up you guys have in the US is crazy!

That sure is a steep price for portable radio. I wonder if it supports computer programming of the radio without a special hack? That would be a nice feature.

Haley

Normally post in the scanner forums, but own a few SW radios. I have had the DX398 (same as 909) for 12 years now, use it all the time----its a great radio! BUT, I dont see any new features at all on this radio. Nothing. Except the case. Has anyone heard of anything spectacular? I would be willing to pay the money-----but not for a copy of my 12 year old radio. Mike

Haley

Thank you for that answer Tom, the radio does look interesting. I am out of state (still am actually), and away from my computer. So thanks for the reply. Mike

DPD1

Looks interesting... But yeah, a little expensive compared to what's out already. I guess it will depend on the performance.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Cool! I like the new look. If it's as good as the 909, it's a keeper. Too bad it doesn't record to an SD or microSD card.

jbm32

Most dealers say they expect the 909X to arrive this month. C Crane says they will test the radio and publish a report before they start shipping. I will be anxiously waiting for there report.

jbm32

It's made by Sangean. It is an update of the ATS909, and the price at C Crane is $250.

It has improved ergonomics with a larger LED backlight display. Some new features are IF DSP, Squelch,
RF Gain control, and more memories.

I have an ATS909 and enjoy using it, so I'm really looking forward to some reviews of the new 909X.

-Jim

Received my ATS-909X a couple of days ago-

Some initial observations.

Disclaimer:
This is totally subjective and in no way scientific. If you're looking for an in-depth detailed review with measurements, this ain't it and doesn't pretend to be.

Comparison made with my 1988 Sony ICF-2010 (with sync off). Both units on AC power and using only the built-in antennas. Never owned an ATS-909, so no comparison to that.

Reception:
LW: One big problem is that there are MW images spread around the band. Where there isn't a MW station, it seems to do fine. I'm in Minneapolis, MN and like to listen to NDB Kenie (AA) up in Fargo on 365 kHz. Fortunately, no MW image around 365 and performance seems to be comparable with my 2010.

MW: The 909X does a fine job on MW, including DX. No complaints.

FM: FM sounds good and can get 100 kW stations with nearly full quieting that are 60+ miles away with the whip.

SW: From the 21m (13 MHz) band and up, it seems to be on par with the 2010. The sound of the signal seems to be the same and the s-meter seems to be relatively the same (altho the s-meter really means little since they don't calibrate them). Listened to strong & weak SWBC in AM and a few amateur stations in USB.

Below 21m, things diverge. The ATS-909X seems a bit deaf. Tuning to 12050, the 2010 is doing a slightly better job than the 909X. As the frequency goes down, the difference becomes more noticeable.
This morning, was listening to R Australia on 9580 around 1300Z and the 2010 had it nearly full scale. Sounded like a they moved in down the street. The 909X showed it about an S-3 and while audible, it wasn't a great signal. After 9580 went off the air at 1400Z, continued listening to them on 9590. It was strong, maybe S-7, but noisier on the 2010 and then faded out within a half hour or so as the sun continued to rise. The 909X was barely picking it up shortly after tuning to it after 1400Z.

Radio Havana Cuba was on 6000 and 6140 around 1430Z. 2010 had no problems and was nearly full scale. 909X picked them up, but weak. It said S-3. Audio sounded ok, but there was a little fading out. As it would fade, could see the signal on the 2010 drop a little as well, but the 2010 had plenty of signal, so never heard the fade (sync was not on).

Noticed the same thing last night when tuning around the 49, 41, and 31m bands, but didn't investigate then.

The included wire antenna sometimes helps, other times just adds noise without noticeably increasing the signal, which isn't much different than the result on the 2010.

Then compared to my 2009 ICF-SW7600GR
Tried a few random stations... on the lower bands the 7600GR & the 909X seem comparable. Up on 16m, the 909X is better. The little speaker in the 7600GR sounds like a stupid little speaker. The audio coming out of the 909X sounds really good, esp for such a small speaker.

Other:
- When tuning, 909X does not mute audio (read that the 909 does)
- Display is nice
- I like the size of it. Its smaller than the 2010, but not too small.
- RDS is a nice option. Even has time sync with RDS (if the station is transmitting CT), but need to set the radio to local time. I usually leave it in UTC.
- Audio quality is really good
- It happily runs on NiMH batteries (and even prefers it), so don't have to worry about the lesser voltage of them vs alkalines.
- Sometimes the keys don't register when pressing them.

Things I wish it had:
- Synchronous AM like on the 2010. That is magic (yes, I know the science behind it, but its still magic). The 7600GR has sync, but not quite the same.
- Easier memory programming & recall. Not hard, but not all that intuitive. Guess just to used to the ultra-simple 2010 after 23 years.
- Filter that's a little wider.
- Time sync to WWV, WWVB, CHU, DCF77, etc.

Hopefully reviews that are more objective can verify if the poor reception I get on the lower part of SW is inherent in the design or if its just my radio.

Overall opinion:
For the most part, I like it, but not completely.
The LW problems are disappointing, but not a deal breaker (no nearby MW xtmrs, no problem), but the poor reception on the lower half or so of SW is the most troubling.

- MV

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for your review. I have been waiting for reviews to come out on this radio. I will probably pick one up some time in the future, since I really enjoy my dx-398.

Here is another review:

Amazon.com: Sangean ATS-909X AM/FM/LW/SW World Band Receiver: Electronics

Just found this one as well:

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/sangean-ats909X-shortwave-radio.aspx

MV, could you comment on the memory scan? I would be interested how well this may work, especially with the squelch.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.