New scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What the heck is "NON-Optimised?"
Using something for a task it wasn't designed to do. It may or may not work. The only scanner models designed to deal with simulcast are the SDS models. Anything else may or may not work. I lived in a simulcast area for several years, and did side by side tests of the 436 and SDS100 in my vehicle. The 436 would cut in and out; it worked fine on one side of the Wal-Mart parking lot, and got nothing on the other side, even with full signal bars. The SDS100 worked fine anywhere there was signal.

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
Using something for a task it wasn't designed to do. It may or may not work. The only scanner models designed to deal with simulcast are the SDS models. Anything else may or may not work. I lived in a simulcast area for several years, and did side by side tests of the 436 and SDS100 in my vehicle. The 436 would cut in and out; it worked fine on one side of the Wal-Mart parking lot, and got nothing on the other side, even with full signal bars. The SDS100 worked fine anywhere there was signal.
Ok, well he said short on Money, but I get it, happy to have both 436 & 100
Scan On!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
CMARC is not a simulcast system
OH Really? :LOL:
3 Sites and how many towers??? I can count 10 for the Harford site
Our definitions must not be the same :unsure:
Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki

By the definition.. You'd be hard-pressed to find a modern system that isn't one..

Last edited:

n3or

Are you interested in a handheld or desktop/mobile. I have programmed scanners for a lot of Harford Co firefighters and have all of the scanners mentioned above, except the HP2, and the software to program them. I can give you Harford Co as well as all of the surrounding jurisdictions. The Harford Co system can be problematic to receive at some locations. I would be happy to come to your location and check which scanners receive OK there so you can make a good decision before purchasing. I really appreciate you putting your life on the line for me and this is one way I can try to repay the firefighters for what they do for us.
Hello sir, I saw a Whistler WS1065 on Amazon, and didn't know if it would work in my area. I live in Dublin and am about 3 miles as the crow flies from the EOC.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yea, CMARC is notorious for simulcast issues. If you buy it, make sure you can return it with no restocking fee.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I would be very happy to bring my Pro-197 to your location to see if it works. That is virtually identical to the WS1065. Whistler bought the rights from GRE who manufactured the scanners for Radio Shack. I will also bring my Uniden scanners so you can make a decision on which one to buy. I will program whichever one you choose. Did you know Shirley at the Darlington station?

n3or

I would be very happy to bring my Pro-197 to your location to see if it works. That is virtually identical to the WS1065. Whistler bought the rights from GRE who manufactured the scanners for Radio Shack. I will also bring my Uniden scanners so you can make a decision on which one to buy. I will program whichever one you choose. Did you know Shirley at the Darlington station?
I was Chief for Darlington from 1988-1990. Started out as Amb Lt, the Amb Capt, the fire Lt, Captain, Asst Chief, Deputy Chief then Chief. Whic Shirley are you talking about?

n3or

That's OK. If I can help you, please let me know.
Do you think that the Whistler WS1065 would be sufficient? (it's relatively in my budget. My wife's Parkinson medicine is outrageous) What I have now is Fire and EMS in one bank, Sheriff in one bank MSP (Benson Barrack) in one bank and EMRC in another. That way I can turn Sheriff and MSP on and off. Too much chatter on Sheriff. In my younger years and belonged to Susquehanna Hose and American Legion Ambulance. Got drafted, then married the the Air Force sent me to Vietnam for a year. When I got out we moved back to Dublin where my wife was from.

tvengr

Well Known Member
State police is now on the state FIRST system which is a P25 Phase 2 system which the WS1065 cannot receive. The BCD996P2 will receive Phase 2 systems, but the only way to know if it will work is to try it at your location due to the simulcast issue. The SDS200 would not have a problem, but you would be paying for that. I'm going to check if MSP is still on the Harford Co system. If it is, a Phase 1 scanner would receive it.

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
MSP is primarily on FiRST (TG 7302) in Harford. CMARC carries a patch of the Bel Air Troops FiRST TG on 10651..

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have had the audio cranked up on TGID 10651 using the CMARC Harford Co site and so far have heard nothing. The other law enforcement agencies are OK. My guess is that MSP was using that until the Maryland FIRST system came online. Previously, I listened to them there. I will continue to monitor for any activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.