BCD325P2/BCD996P2: New scanner. Question about features

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Feed Provider
Hey everyone. I got my new scanner in today and am interested in a few of the options but have questions.

Regarding the tone alarms - if I turn this feature on does this play a warning on the audio feed (in streaming my device) or does it make an alarm on the physical decide with a light? Any benefit to having this enabled?

SAME alerts - kind of the same as above but am wondering. When this one goes off does it also play audio? If yes does it go back to scanning after the alert plays?

Setting the hold time to longer than default. Is this a per channel setting or can I set it for everything?

Firmware update - like an idiot I forgot to check for one before setting everything up. Is that going to reset my device? Not a huge deal but kind of wanting to know what to expect.

Regarding the tone alarms - if I turn this feature on does this play a warning on the audio feed (in streaming my device) or does it make an alarm on the physical decide with a light? Any benefit to having this enabled?

SAME alerts - kind of the same as above but am wondering. When this one goes off does it also play audio? If yes does it go back to scanning after the alert plays?

Setting the hold time to longer than default. Is this a per channel setting or can I set it for everything?

Firmware update - like an idiot I forgot to check for one before setting everything up. Is that going to reset my device? Not a huge deal but kind of wanting to know what to expect.

Fire Tone Out:

The display will show the Tone-Out name, channel number (1-10), and tone settings. Any transmission received on the frequency will not be heard but you will still see the signal strength bars.

All Tone-Outs (channels) that have the same frequency (and modulation and attenuation) as the one you select will also (and only) be monitored so you can monitor up to 10 Tone-Out channels for one frequency. In this case, the scanner displays each Tone-Out channel for two seconds. It does not scan them; Tone-Out monitors the frequency for all Tone-Out channels with the same frequency. Regardless of the current display, the scanner will alert on any received tone out that matches a stored setting (channel) for the frequency.

If you press HOLD while in 'Standby/Search' mode, the scanner temporarily exits and you will be able to hear any transmissions on that frequency. No alerts sound, even if a Tone-Out matches one you have programmed in hold mode. Press HOLD again to return to 'Standby/Search' mode.

• Weather Alert Priority Turning the weather alert priority feature on allows the scanner to check the weather channels every 5 seconds for a 1050 Hz weather alert signal and still scan or search. If you should receive an alert, you will hear a loud warbling then the weather channel audio. You will see WX in the display when Weather Alert Priority is on. This briefly interrupts audio. Not a good thing for a feed.
  • Hold time is for entire system on Conventional and by site for trunked.
  • Firmware will not reset the radio programming. Save a file, though.

cnmsales

Feed Provider
Fire Tone Out:

The display will show the Tone-Out name, channel number (1-10), and tone settings. Any transmission received on the frequency will not be heard but you will still see the signal strength bars.

All Tone-Outs (channels) that have the same frequency (and modulation and attenuation) as the one you select will also (and only) be monitored so you can monitor up to 10 Tone-Out channels for one frequency. In this case, the scanner displays each Tone-Out channel for two seconds. It does not scan them; Tone-Out monitors the frequency for all Tone-Out channels with the same frequency. Regardless of the current display, the scanner will alert on any received tone out that matches a stored setting (channel) for the frequency.

If you press HOLD while in 'Standby/Search' mode, the scanner temporarily exits and you will be able to hear any transmissions on that frequency. No alerts sound, even if a Tone-Out matches one you have programmed in hold mode. Press HOLD again to return to 'Standby/Search' mode.

• Weather Alert Priority Turning the weather alert priority feature on allows the scanner to check the weather channels every 5 seconds for a 1050 Hz weather alert signal and still scan or search. If you should receive an alert, you will hear a loud warbling then the weather channel audio. You will see WX in the display when Weather Alert Priority is on. This briefly interrupts audio. Not a good thing for a feed.
  • Hold time is for entire system on Conventional and by site for trunked.
  • Firmware will not reset the radio programming. Save a file, though.

Thanks sir. So maybe im confused on the tone outs. Here locally and especially with fire before the dispatch keys up to indicate what is going on many times you will hear a pulsating tone. Immediately after this tone they then say what they need to say. But from the description above it sounds like that function is meant for tones that go out on a separate freq maybe? Or maybe im just not understanding the function well. As it currently stands I hear the associated audio immediately after the tone any way?

Can you explain in more detail why WX alert function would not be good for a feed? The primary goal of my feed is to assist community members in having a better idea of what is going on weather wise. It seems like having the WX option on would be good?

Thanks again to everyone for their patience with all the questions I always have :)

Here locally and especially with fire before the dispatch keys up to indicate what is going on many times you will hear a pulsating tone. Immediately after this tone they then say what they need to say. But from the description above it sounds like that function is meant for tones that go out on a separate freq maybe? Or maybe im just not understanding the function well. As it currently stands I hear the associated audio immediately after the tone any way?

Can you explain in more detail why WX alert function would not be good for a feed? The primary goal of my feed is to assist community members in having a better idea of what is going on weather wise. It seems like having the WX option on would be good?
Fire Tone-Out is designed to detect one or two-tone pages transmitted during a call.

You program in the frequency of the audio tone(s) and the scanner listens for those tones and alerts when they come over, usually on the same frequency as the dispatch.

In any case, the scanner can only "listen" to one frequency at a time, so any priority mode must interrupt other transmissions momentarily to "listen" to the priority channel, or WX transmission .

If you hit the WX button, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

cnmsales

Feed Provider
Fire Tone-Out is designed to detect one or two-tone pages transmitted during a call.

You program in the frequency of the audio tone(s) and the scanner listens for those tones and alerts when they come over, usually on the same frequency as the dispatch.

In any case, the scanner can only "listen" to one frequency at a time, so any priority mode must interrupt other transmissions momentarily to "listen" to the priority channel, or WX transmission or Fire Tone-out.

If you hit the WX button, you'll see what I mean.
Thanks for the info. TBH im kinda scared to hit any buttons for fear of messing something up :D

cnmsales

Feed Provider
And if I'm not mistaken WX broadcast in against RR TOS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah. I guess I was thinking this was something different than the channel that just repeatedly plays the weather. I thought it was for special announcements like to say tornado warning or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.