New scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnwaldw

Hello All
I am looking to buy a new scanner my old radio shack handheld just wont cut it anymore I have been looking at the Pro 2096 and the BCD996TI live Between Flint and Owosso Mich in shiawassee county. I was told I had to go digitail out hear to be able to hear the police and fire. Any suggestion would be grealy apprecaited.
Dave

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
New Scanner

From what I've read on the forums, both are fine radios. You may also want to consider the GRE PSR-600. Read the forums on these 3 radios. Members have left feedback, both positive and negative, on all the radios. Take the time to compare features, and decide which radio will suit your needs. You say you need digital reception, anything after that would be personal preference. Good Luck.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GRE is currently a good step ahead of Uniden and Radio Shack models. More features, more standard equipment, more included accessories.

If you need digital, go with the handheld PSR-500 or base PSR-600

If you dont need digital, save $300 and the PSR-300 handheld and base PSR-400 may be the most sensitive scanners out there.

Price is competative with Uniden and RS too, so might as well.

Take a look how many people are dumping Pro-97 and Pro-96 on the classifides board on here. They are probably all going GRE.

Uniden's only real advantages are the remote head if this is going to be a vehicle mounted radio and possibly the object oriented programming which is nice if you are familiar with programming languages, but abandons the "bank and channel" design that many are familiar with.

Last edited:

hoser147

I would have to agree with what Eric and Dan have already said, They are pricey but it beats buyin one and having to turn around in a few years and get a different one. Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.