New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbg

Hi everyone!
I currently have a Radioshack Pro-79 (yeah, I know...) from quite a few years ago and I am looking to upgrade so I can hear most of the new systems, and am not sure if I should get a digital scanner and invest all that money into one, but I also don't want to purchase a nice scanner and have it be obsolete. Any advice is welcome :)
Ryan

Highpockets

Hi everyone!
I currently have a Radioshack Pro-79 (yeah, I know...) from quite a few years ago and I am looking to upgrade so I can hear most of the new systems, and am not sure if I should get a digital scanner and invest all that money into one, but I also don't want to purchase a nice scanner and have it be obsolete. Any advice is welcome :)
Ryan

You have to let us know where you live, State, County, City and what you want to listen to, before we can help you. Trunked Systems, etc... :)

ryanbg

You have to let us know where you live, State, County, City and what you want to listen to, before we can help you. Trunked Systems, etc... :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Minnesota, Ramsey County, and Shoreview/Vadnais Heights/North Oaks area. Ideally I would like to listen to Fire and Police radio, but mainly Fire and EMS (Allina Ambulance).

Highpockets

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Minnesota, Ramsey County, and Shoreview/Vadnais Heights/North Oaks area. Ideally I would like to listen to Fire and Police radio, but mainly Fire and EMS (Allina Ambulance).

Looks like the State Patrols are digital, so if you want to monitor them you'll need a digital scanner, but, before you buy, check in with the guys in Minnesota Forum, they will fill you in on what model works the best for your area, and guide you in the right direction. Welcome to Radio Reference, good luck with the purchase of a new scanner.

ryanbg

Looks like the State Patrols are digital, so if you want to monitor them you'll need a digital scanner, but, before you buy, check in with the guys in Minnesota Forum, they will fill you in on what model works the best for your area, and guide you in the right direction. Welcome to Radio Reference, good luck with the purchase of a new scanner.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

N8IAA

You will need a digital scanner. Your county has mostly gone to the P-25 statewide system. Including the ambulance service you want to monitor. An older digital scanner will work. You can listen to the tower in your county. The suggestion to go on the Minnesota forum is a great way to find out more local info.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.