New Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

I’m looking for recommendations for a new mobile scanner for my patrol vehicle. I use the statewide 800 system for work however the county I’m assigned to uses a VHF simulcast P25 system which I know is going to have its issues with distortion. We have a permanent patch for their law enforcement channel onto our system however it rarely scans it unless I am affiliated with the one particular tower.

I’m looking at the TRX2 because of the remote mounting capability without having to mount a scanner in my console(enough crap in it already)..

Any other recommendations?

thanks.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you get anything other than an SDS model you will be disappointed but if you try to get away with a Bearcat 536 you might or might not get adequate results. One thing is for sure if you go with the TRX you can be guaranteed you will be disappointed trying to pick up simulcast distortion.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is possible to set up scan lists using different sites on the TRX-2 so that you select the site you want. As stated earlier, the Whistler scanners are notorious for having problems with simulcast systems. Are you using the VIPER system? If so, which sites and talkgroups? I bet you are in Franklin or Wayne Co.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you do use the bcd536 in a mobile application it is less likely to work satisfactorily but if it's a fixed set up depending on location location location they can be satisfactory.

My understanding is you will be in a mobile setting and I never got satisfactory results from x36s while moving around the towers.

You're going to need Dependable reception and cannot afford to have missed Transmissions which are the key symptom of simulcast Distortion secondary to LSM.

Unfortunately your only choice in a professional application is going to be quite costly.

There was a weapon taken off the market about 20 years ago called a Jennings J 22, 8 shot automatic. You could be sure at target practice it would misfire on about every 8 to 12 attempts to fire it. Not what you would want as a backup piece LOL.
It is possible to set up scan lists using different sites on the TRX-2 so that you select the site you want. As stated earlier, the Whistler scanners are notorious for having problems with simulcast systems. Are you using the VIPER system? If so, which sites and talkgroups? I bet you are in Franklin or Wayne Co.
In my experience with simulcast Jim and my, 1095, psr-800 end trx-1 trying to isolate one of multiple sites in a mobile application in a simulcast Distortion application didn't make a difference. Just flat out didn't work, not a lick, which doesn't mean that it can't work in this situation and that it doesn't work for some people as you're moving around at different distances to sites.

Not sure if it's worth the Gamble, better yet said... Why Gamble?

NCFire11

Yes I use the VIPER system. In the past I have used a PRO197 to monitor the simulcast system but as I’m sure you are aware reception was very poor.

I’ve looked into the SDS200 but the size is the biggest negative factor, not to mention the $700 price tag. It looks like it may be the only viable option though.

I’m not going to complain too much as even subscribers aren’t too fond of the Harris P25 system, and there have been many complaints.
Not sure how I would even isolate one site with a mobile application since it’s 5 simulcast towers.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure I'll get beat up for this, but with you being an "official" user, you might explore the possibility of getting a compatible used portable on eBay, then get with the system's technicians to see if they can program it for you. They can do all the right stuff so you can listen properly and legally without a concern of inappropriately affiliating with the system. Probably cheaper than a scanner too.

radio3353

IF you are interested in listening only to that VHF P25 simulcast system, you may want to think outside of the scanner box. How about a Unication pager? Models G2, G3 and G5 cover VHF...
Unication G2 and G3
Unication G4 and G5
Advantages:
Unsurpassed simulcast reception
Small - will not burden your console
Compact - no bulky antenna. Can fit in you pocket.
Upgrade coming that will add scanning capability to the pagers
Commercial product and build with excellent weather protection
Comparable price to Uniden SDS scanners

Just food for thought.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure I'll get beat up for this, but with you being an "official" user, you might explore the possibility of getting a compatible used portable on eBay, then get with the system's technicians to see if they can program it for you. They can do all the right stuff so you can listen properly and legally without a concern of inappropriately affiliating with the system. Probably cheaper than a scanner too.
Well if you're going to get beat up then might as well beat me up too as I was writing the same post when yours came over. Makes sense and solves the problem of space and simulcast distortion.

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
I tried this in austin and they said no. I worked in communications for years and simply wanted to purchase my own radio and have the radio shop make it so that i could monitor a few talkgroups, i even told them to disable TX and offered payment and the manager still refused.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I tried this in austin and they said no. I worked in communications for years and simply wanted to purchase my own radio and have the radio shop make it so that i could monitor a few talkgroups, i even told them to disable TX and offered payment and the manager still refused.
Yeah I doubt that anyone in any official capacity would do that for anyone. Serious security breach of policy all that.
Yes I definitely would buy the radio privately and get someone to program it privately and they certainly would disable transmit.

Probably wouldn't go into too many details here and don't know the particulars of this system but it certainly is a viable option if everything falls into place right.

That's what we did in 2015 when our County went to P2 simulcast with one site and 26 towers that could not be turned on and off in a scanner. X36s did not work especially in mobile applications.

It was the only way media types could receive the system in a heavy simulcast environment.

The SDSs and professional pagers work great now on our system.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If you get anything other than an SDS model you will be disappointed but if you try to get away with a Bearcat 536 you might or might not get adequate results. One thing is for sure if you go with the TRX you can be guaranteed you will be disappointed trying to pick up simulcast distortion.
I only have OK simulcast results on my 536 when I am within the service area and within a mile or two of the closest tower, if a gentle breeze blows I lose the transmission. Whereas my SDS100 never misses a beat. Threshold settings, antenna changes, etc make little to no difference. Bottom line, get an SDS

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I only have OK simulcast results on my 536 when I am within the service area and within a mile or two of the closest tower, if a gentle breeze blows I lose the transmission. Whereas my SDS100 never misses a beat. Threshold settings, antenna changes, etc make little to no difference. Bottom line, get an SDS
Yep, if getting a used subscriber radio and having it privately programmed turns out to be too problematic and expensive the SDS or pager are the options. I can certainly understand the space constraint with the 200 so you may consider a 100 which is $100 cheaper and not a space issue. You won't get the volume punch that you would get with the subscriber radio but would have the options to program more into it and have all the bands for those few oddball conventional or off the system objects you want to hear.

Tough decisions but those are pretty much your options.

NCFire11

Thanks for the insight.

The problem with buying a subscriber radio is that they’re going Phase2, in fact they already went to phase 2 but reverted back to p1 due to issues. The cost of a p2 radio is going to be out of my scope. Having it programmed and allowed on the system wouldn’t be an issue but I’m not paying that much.

problem with a Unication is going to be interference inside the car. I have used a portable on the VHF inside the car and coverage is not good, not to mention having to just clip the radio somewhere where it becomes a potential missile.

it looks like the SDS200 is the best option without a doubt.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

I'd flip the sequence around on that. . . first get permission to have a privately-owned radio on the system (and which radio), then get the radio, then get with the techs to get it programmed.

As as system administrator I speak from experience; you definitely want to get permission first, preferably in writing. Otherwise you could end up with a rather expensive paperweight.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'd flip the sequence around on that. . . first get permission to have a privately-owned radio on the system (and which radio), then get the radio, then get with the techs to get it programmed.

As as system administrator I speak from experience; you definitely want to get permission first, preferably in writing. Otherwise you could end up with a rather expensive paperweight.
Yep. In addition to being disabled for transmit, it would also not be in the position to get bricked. Not a discussion for here. It's always an option but can be quite expensive.

I think the sds200, properly programmed and tweaked would fit the bill for this professional installment.

I hope the o p keeps us posted on what he does and how it fits into the already crowded console. :)

Chronic

If you go with a Uniden SDS figure on sending it in for repair a couple times , I would seriously read the forums on it before plunking down that kind of money .

NCFire11

Yep. In addition to being disabled for transmit, it would also not be in the position to get bricked. Not a discussion for here. It's always an option but can be quite expensive.

I think the sds200, properly programmed and tweaked would fit the bill for this professional installment.

I hope the o p keeps us posted on what he does and how it fits into the already crowded console. :)

Well I only have an Apx6500, Whelen 295sls?, cup holder and portable charger for my Apx6000. I think I can move the portable charger bottom part of the console mount in the back and be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.