new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys got a question. Got one of those mobile scanner antennas for cars that mounts on the glass no holes in the glass just glue on and go. Well I just mounted it on my bedroom window and seems to work just fine but here is what I wnted to know even though the piece on the outside of the glass and inside are not touching one another can lightning still run in on my scanner if it hits.

k8mcn

IMHO i don't think i would worry too much about it-if a lightening bolt hits that close to your house i would assume it would find its way into your home through the numerous other ways it can..IE down through your window frame, in through your electrical service,phone line, just blow a hole in the house etc---a proximity strike of that nature i would think you just cross your fingers and hope :) Just like your gutter,downspout etc--it is just an "exposed part of your home.......but i stand to be corrected!

Now mounting the antenna on a mast, tower, rooftop etc, is a whole different story

KC0QNB

If lightning can travel 20 miles away from the source, an 1/8" piece of glass isn't going to stop it, but in reality, the antenna is probably not the highest thing in the area, you are probably ok, it is more likely that lightning will strike the power pole in the back yard first and the energy will travel through the wiring in your house and take out the scanner if it is plugged in, not to say it couldn't happen lightning does strange things, but the odds are against it striking the antenna, and talking out the scanner that way.

af5rn

As the previous two posters point out, the question is not whether or not lightning can traverse that pane of glass that is the issue. The question is whether or not that antenna is a likely strike point for lightning in the first place. I can assure you that the remainder of your house is a much bigger and more attractive target for lightning than that 24 inch whip hidden on the side of the house. Any hit anywhere on your property is probably going to fry your radio. And that antenna is probably less likely to attract that hit than the power drop or plumbing is.

DickH

... Got one of those mobile scanner antennas for cars that mounts on the glass no holes in the glass just glue on and go. Well I just mounted it on my bedroom window and seems to work just fine ...

You may think it works fine, but there is considerable loss with those things.
Since clear window glass offers no resistance to radio waves you will probably get better reception if you just put your scanner near the window with the regular antenna right on the scanner. TRY IT. You may be surprised.

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info guys I tried it in front of the window but poor results werid thing is how ever with the antenna that came withthe scanner a pro2096 I could not pick up hardly anything far as the county I live in same goes for my bearcat 560xlt but why I do not know I can pick up other counties that border monroe and they come in much better also madisonville pd comes in better than the county and I live atleast 25 to 30 miles away. and the county has a repeater site about 10 to 12 miles from my house.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Something else to consider. If you're home, or windows are of more recent construction, you most likely will have thermal pane windows (meaning double panes of glass sepearated by about 3/8". The antenna is not designed for that type of glass, but rather automotive safety glass. So performance will be even worse than it normally is.

k8mcn

Something else to consider. If you're home, or windows are of more recent construction, you most likely will have thermal pane windows (meaning double panes of glass sepearated by about 3/8". The antenna is not designed for that type of glass, but rather automotive safety glass. So performance will be even worse than it normally is.

great catch,that makes all the sense in the world about the thermal pane, but it had not occurred to me..It would be interesting to know just how much the thermal seal and two panes cut out the reception, ya know it could be that all most none of the receiving signal is making it through-anyone seen a study on this??????????

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
great catch,that makes all the sense in the world about the thermal pane, but it had not occurred to me..It would be interesting to know just how much the thermal seal and two panes cut out the reception, ya know it could be that all most none of the receiving signal is making it through-anyone seen a study on this??????????

I think the design of the antenna uses the glass thickness as a coupling capacitor. It creates about a 3db loss on auto glass.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
so maybe twice that on a thermo pane?? 6db that would suck the life out of a 5 watt transmitter

Not sure what the effect would be...possibly de-tune it, which of course would produce more loss, and through your SWR off.

Status
Not open for further replies.