New to scanner use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLPGuy

I made a post a while back, but now I need more help. I'm thinking about buying a uniden BCT15X. I want to mount it in my truck. I don't need anything fancy I just want it to pick up Manchester Pd. Will this scanner do it? If so how do I program Manchester in? If not what other options do I have that are in the same price range?

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
Hello, I think this scanner will pick up Manchester PD. The city is however moving to a P25 phase 1 system and they are currently testing the new system out. As far as price range goes, you are looking upwards of around 300 dollars and up. Over at the hamradio website, they have the bcd996xt with a couple options for pricing. That model is capable of monitoring both the current system and the P25 phase 1 system that Manchester will be switching to. That's just one model. I'm sure other folks on here can guide you to a different model, or a different website.

Last edited:

TheLPGuy

Hello, I think this scanner will pick up Manchester PD. The city is however moving to a P25 phase 1 system and they are currently testing the new system out. As far as price range goes, you are looking upwards of around 300 dollars and up. Over at the hamradio website, they have the bcd996xt with a couple options for pricing. That model is capable of monitoring both the current system and the P25 phase 1 system that Manchester will be switching to. That's just one model. I'm sure other folks on here can guide you to a different model, or a different website.

I just found.my old scanner I was looking for, it is the uniden BCD396XT. Can this pick up MPD? If so how can I program it in because I'm lost on how to do this lol.

Dave2582

Yes, that scanner will be able to pick up the new system.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD396XT/BCD396XT_Complete_Reference.pdf

Click on above link and scroll to page 32. This page in the guide will help you to set up the new Manchester system. It is a p25 standard trunk system, so make sure you set that up. Then plug in the rest of the info.

The Manchester info is here. City of Manchester Trunking System, Manchester, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies

If you want to be able to hear the old/current system, then go to page 32 in the guide, and set up the current system at this page. Current Manchester NH system.

lu81fitter

I have a BCT 15X radio. It's really a nice radio, but it won't pick up he new P25 system if they are going to that. It will do their current EDACS though. I use Free scan to program mine.
As darunimal says above, familiarize yourself with the memory. It's great when you get the hang of it.
You'll find many people here to help you along the way. Be as specific as you can with your inquiries. It helps a lot to be able to know exactly what you have and what you are wanting to do.
Good luck!

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Manchester is in process of switching to P25 so you'd be better off getting a digital scanner.

Norman_24

BCD396XT ??

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD396XT/BCD396XT_Complete_Reference.pdf

Click on above link and scroll to page 32. This page in the guide will help you to set up the new Manchester system. It is a p25 standard trunk system, so make sure you set that up. Then plug in the rest of the info.

The Manchester info is here. City of Manchester Trunking System, Manchester, New Hampshire - Scanner Frequencies

If you want to be able to hear the old/current system, then go to page 32 in the guide, and set up the current system at this page. Current Manchester NH system.[/QUOTE

Hi Dave, I too have a BCD396XT and I'm still experiencing the intermittent transmissions from Manchester PD, is there a special way to program the P25 freqs? I've had scanners for years but this is a bit confusing.... I read some about it but still confused... Will I need to purchase the BCD436HP to receive these?

Thanks....

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I made a post a while back, but now I need more help. I'm thinking about buying a uniden BCT15X. I want to mount it in my truck. I don't need anything fancy I just want it to pick up Manchester Pd. Will this scanner do it? If so how do I program Manchester in? If not what other options do I have that are in the same price range?

Seriously consider a Radio Reference membership. If you use software to program, and you may need to, then RR is the easiest way to download everything you need right into the scanner.

Dave2582

If you want to be able to hear the old/current system, then go to page 32 in the guide, and set up the current system at this page. Current Manchester NH system.[/QUOTE

Hi Dave, I too have a BCD396XT and I'm still experiencing the intermittent transmissions from Manchester PD, is there a special way to program the P25 freqs? I've had scanners for years but this is a bit confusing.... I read some about it but still confused... Will I need to purchase the BCD436HP to receive these?

Thanks....

Hi Norm,

Manchester pd is encrypting their transmissions. No one is able to hear them. All other departments in Manchester are in the clear.

Norman_24

Hi Norm,

Manchester pd is encrypting their transmissions. No one is able to hear them. All other departments in Manchester are in the clear.

Thanks Dave, I was hoping there was a way around this, Manchester PD is what I listen to only, as well as Fire, AMR etc... I'm hearing some of their transmissions, but there is a tick of interference every few seconds and basically missing some of it, very discouraging.... Thanks for you input, much appreciated..

Last edited:

Norman_24

Thanks Dave, I was hoping there was a way around this, Manchester PD is what I listen to only, as well as Fire, AMR etc... I'm hearing some of their transmissions, but there is a tick of interference every few seconds and basically missing some of it, very discouraging.... Thanks for you input, much appreciated..

I just heard the Manchester PD dispatcher say that channel 1 was not coded... Now which is channel 1...?

jrothwell

I just heard the Manchester PD dispatcher say that channel 1 was not coded... Now which is channel 1...?

Channel 1 is coded (encrypted) on the new system. For the next 2 weeks or so, or until they replace all the mobile radios, they have a decrypted patch going from channel 1 of the new system to channel 1 of the old system. They are dispatching anything sensitive on channel 2 of the new system because it's not being decrypted and patched like channel 1.

Norman_24

Channel 1 is coded (encrypted) on the new system. For the next 2 weeks or so, or until they replace all the mobile radios, they have a decrypted patch going from channel 1 of the new system to channel 1 of the old system. They are dispatching anything sensitive on channel 2 of the new system because it's not being decrypted and patched like channel 1.

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated... I guess upgrading my scanner wouldn't change anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.