• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to scanning- Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

novnet2005

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Novato, Ca
Hello fellow scanners:

I will be purchasing my first scanner very soon. I need your help in deciding what I should buy. I live in Novato California, in Marin County. I understand that the agencies in my area are using trunked systems.
Can anybody suggest a decent hand-held scanner? I really don't know what to purchase. I am hoping not to spend a lot of money. I don't need anything fancy, I just want it to get the job done.
Any advice that you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Brian Woodson
 

pfish

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
545
Reaction score
0
Well, if your going to want to listen to police.. then you will need a scanner that can do APCO-25 Digital. Your city police department along with Marin County SO both operate on the Marin County SO trunked system, and all of their talkgroups are digital. The best two models on the market right now that do APCO-25 are the Radioshack PRO-96 ($500) and the Uniden BCD-396T ($530).

If you are not interested in police, then pretty much any scanner will do.
 

RiP-HS-

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Personally I have always liked Radio Shack Scanners. After being out of the hobby for about 7-8 years, I'm starting to dabble back into it. For my Birthday on the 28th I received a PRO-96. I used it for one night and decided to trade it in on a PRO-2096.
From the little bit of playing around with them - I like them both!

The only problem is the programming. You have to be of near Genius IQ to effectivly program these things! There is software that helps but there is still a learning curve.

If I were in your position, I'd go to Radio Shack and look around. Try and set a price range for yourself and look at the ones that fit your budget. I'm fairly confident that if you have a slight interest in monitoring - once you actually get into it you'll be hooked and wish you'd have dropped the few extra bucks to get a quality reveiver.

Good Luck
 

brucewarming

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
445
Reaction score
0
Location
Martinsburg WV.
Keep an eye out for the sales at the Shack. The PRO-96 and 2096 will probley be $399 for the most part. Working with the newer trunking and APCO digital is a little more challenging and getting a PC interface cable and WIN 96 make it very fun. I like to have the software up on the computer as I listen to the scanner and make changes as I see things change. I can't say enough of the great ease of programming and adding text tags with the WIN 96.
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
Once again I have to point out that Radio Shack does not make scanners. They sell scanners made by Uniden or GRE.

Jerry
 

RolnCode3

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
0
Location
Sacramento/Bay Area, CA
eyes00only said:
Once again I have to point out that Radio Shack does not make scanners. They sell scanners made by Uniden or GRE.

Jerry
For purposes of walking into a store or ordering online, the big RS has 'em. Why confuse a new person who's asking a legitimate question? Who gives a ^&*% who makes the stupid things (for the purposes of this thread).

The 396T, Pro-96/2096, or the upcoming BCD996T are going to be the best choices for Marin and by default, the MERA system. You'll have no choice but to get the highest end, most-featured scanners if you want to listen to all the agencies in Marin (Novato PD, San Rafael PD, Mill Valley, SO, etc...). I believe the Fire Depts. are all on MERA (checking the database would confirm/deny that) as well...so if you're into public safety monitoring, it'll all be digital.
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
RolnCode3 said:
For purposes of walking into a store or ordering online, the big RS has 'em. Why confuse a new person who's asking a legitimate question? Who gives a ^&*% who makes the stupid things (for the purposes of this thread).

.

Scenario / Two years ago Gomer buys a Pro 94 at RADIO SHACK and loves it, then a year ago he buys a Pro 95 at RADIO SHACK and hates it. These two PRO scanners are MADE by two different companies. I apologize to RolnCode3 if I insulted his intelligence.

Jerry
 

RolnCode3

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
0
Location
Sacramento/Bay Area, CA
eyes00only said:
Scenario / Two years ago Gomer buys a Pro 94 at RADIO SHACK and loves it, then a year ago he buys a Pro 95 at RADIO SHACK and hates it. These two PRO scanners are MADE by two different companies. I apologize to RolnCode3 if I insulted his intelligence.

Jerry
And nothing has been added to the thread.
 

RiP-HS-

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Where do you get the Pro 2096 or the Pro 2004/5/6 or the Pro 96?
Radio Shack - Therefore Radio Shack Scanners - As far as Retail goes,
you can't buy them anywhere else - Hence Radio Shack Scanners.

Loosen up man!
 

VintageJon

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Pro 96 and Pro 93 here. (Bet you could buy a 93 cheap now!)

96 is very good for APCO-25. Using the 93 for Aircraft Band and Ham Weather Emergency, it's good for that too. (Monitoring Austin Tx...)

If you get a Pro-96 for APCO-25 get the 800MHZ upgrade antenna if you want mobile/hand-held. Not as good as an external antenna, but better than the stock one.

73's,
Jon
 

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
2,293
Reaction score
11
Location
Northwest, WA
If you go to e-bay you can find the pro-96 and the pro-2096 for around $378
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top