New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeye2448

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to scanning and would like a few questions answered if you don't mind. I am wanting to scan because I am training to be a pilot and I have a very hard time understanding traffic control and other pilots. My location is lynchburg, virginia and would like a scanner that could pick up airport frequenices along with police, fire department, ems, etc. Would the GRE PSR-700 Ezscan be ok if the city has trunked their frequencies(which I dont know if they have or not) or the Uniden Bearcat BC95XLTB. One offers the ability to hear trunked frequencies and the uniden doesnt. If you have any other suggestions they would be great. Thanks ahead of time. ~Joshua

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to scanning and would like a few questions answered if you don't mind. I am wanting to scan because I am training to be a pilot and I have a very hard time understanding traffic control and other pilots. My location is lynchburg, virginia and would like a scanner that could pick up airport frequenices along with police, fire department, ems, etc. Would the GRE PSR-700 Ezscan be ok if the city has trunked their frequencies(which I dont know if they have or not) or the Uniden Bearcat BC95XLTB. One offers the ability to hear trunked frequencies and the uniden doesnt. If you have any other suggestions they would be great. Thanks ahead of time. ~Joshua

You will need a scanner that does analog trunk tracking I think or at least can pick up EDACS. It looks like your local police and Sheriff use an EDAC System. Here is a website to check some out for your area. www.scannermaster.com

Here is their system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=177

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's also a great deal of activity on Virginia's STARS system, but that system is digital - for that you would need a digital trunktracker such as the PSR-800, PSR-600 (both GRE models) or for the Uniden area, the 396XT.

I would jump on down to the Virginia forum, if no one from that area answers here. Recommendations from the locals always work well

HTH.....Mike

eagleswings01

Welcome to RR! I used to live just down the road from L'burg! The PSR-800 seems like it would be a good choice for you. If it were only air you wanted to listen to, I'd save the money and get the PSR-310. Fantastic little scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.