New to trunking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCListener

I have owned at least one scanner for years.
I have never used the trunking feature on my scanner.
I have 2 trunking scanners.
A RadioShack Pro90 and a Pro94.
I know they aren't the newest scanners around, but it's what I got.

I know how to program them, but I was wondering about programming trunked freqs.

My first question is, are my scanners too old for my area? I live in Vance County NC.

Vance County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It shows the area has a VIPER setup.

Also, I want to be able to listen to the NCHP, but I am not sure where to find their information.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Adrian

sjlamb

You would probably get your best advice by moving this thread to the North Carolina section of the forum. Viper uses both analog and digital modes. Your equip. is incapable of receiving the digital stuff.

Look here at the list of talkgroups: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4087

In the column "Mode", those talkgroups marked as "A" are analog and can be received by your radios. Those marke as "D" or "E" are Digital or Encrypted respectively and cannot be received by your current scanners. NO SCANNER is capable of receiving the encrypted channels but the digital channels are easily received with a Digital Scanner.

In short... you're radios are not too old entirely for the Viper System; they are just limited as to how much of the system they can received.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.