New user just bought a Grundig G6 Aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmtl

Hello all,

I am new to shortwave radio and i just bought myself the Grundig G6 radio with the aviation frequency.
My question is can i pick up weather radio station frequencies in Canada with this radio ?
i am not quite sure

P.S great site btw !

thanks
JR

N8IAA

What does the manual say about receiving WX frequencies? If you know your WX frequencies, and the radio receives them. You will be ok.
HTH,
Larry

jrmtl

Hello,

Thanks for your reply ..
I don't see any mention of those frequencies in the manual... so it seems like it cannot receive them :(

JR

jrmtl

I just read from the NOAA site that the weather stations can be found in the shortwave band but i cannot seem to tune to those ... actually the canadian sites.

Does anyone have any experience with the Grundig G6?

Much appreciated

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I just read from the NOAA site that the weather stations can be found in the shortwave band but i cannot seem to tune to those ... actually the canadian sites.

Does anyone have any experience with the Grundig G6?

The Canadian weather broadcasts are now up around 160 mhz. If the ad or manual for the radio don't mention weather channels then it won't receive them. The Grundig voicelink FR 1000 is a windup radio with AM, FM, Weather channels, and a built in Family Band transceiver. But no shortwave. I don't know if they are still making them, though.

The G6 will not do weather channels.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can research whether a site has reviews on the G6 by using the links found in our Receiver Reviews category in our wiki (note that both here and in the wiki, anything blue is a link)

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Now as to the weather stations the NOAA site was mentioning - it's possible they were talking about VOLMET stations. VOLMET is a contraction of 2 French words, freely translated meaning 'flying weather'. Here is a website with lots of such listings, although how accurate it is I'm not entirely sure - I don't DX these, although there are those that do...

SW Volmet Broadcasts

Keep in mind that HF is not like scanners - it's not open 24 hours a day. In general, you want to listen above 9 mhz during the day, below that at night. This is due to the effect of solar radiation on our ionosphere. Along with that, you want to be listening for stations that are on the same daylight path as you - in other words, both you and the target station are in daylight, or are both in darkness (yes, I know that there are exceptions, but let's keep this simple). This website will get you started in understanding these conditions, and note that you will need the Flash player to view it...

Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

Jump down to the HF forums and feel free to ask more questions there

best regards..Mike

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
However the G6 does have the aircraft band. If you are anywhere near an airport they will likely be broadcasting weather all day and night somewhere around 118-122 mhz. I live in Victoria B.C. and the YYJ airport near Sydney is about 15 miles away and there is 24 hour weather on 118.8, while the seaplane service in the city harbour broadcasts on 120.000. Funnily enough on my Icom 1500 the further airport puts out a stronger signal into my location, likely because they have their antenna up on one of the higher local thousand foot hills. Or maybe they just pump out more wattage.

Look in the RR database for airports near your location and tune to a frequency labeled "ATIS" and if you are close enough you will hear the weather broadcasts if you tune to that frequency. You might need to clip a longer piece of wire to the antenna and run it to a tree or something outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.