New user

Status
Not open for further replies.

11B20B4

Hey y'all... I'm new here, and fairly new to scanning. Still getting used to my RS Pro-96, but Win96 software has made programming it alot easier for me.

Can anybody help me find a business frequency? It's a local security company, Metro Protective agency. I think they're leasing their equipment from a SL area radio company because they don't show up in any of my fcc license searches...

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Welcome!

Welcome to our group...

Are you sure they are using 2-Way radios? I know that a lot of the private security firms are using Nextel Direct Connect with Group Calls.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com,
11B20B4

It is always nice to have new members come to us with their questions and we hope that if/when we can help you with that information that you will stick around for the camaraderie that has been built on this board.

First, would you give a little background, introduce yourself. Also, please help us by returning to your user profile and fill in your location so we will know where you are and we won't have to guess each time you make a post.

You may also want to read this article in the Wiki which explains a little about commercial two-way radio frequencies. Apparently, a person can buy perfectly acceptable two-way radios off the shelf and never need an individual FCC license, or the frequency may fall into one of the color-dot frequencies which is way too broad to nail down an individual company.

What I am saying is that this is going to be a challenge, but that is what this board is all about. Keep checking back.

11B20B4

Using Kenwood TX-3180... Maybe I'll just scan the UHF range of that radio for a few weeks to see if I can pick up their chatter...

Where do I update my profile? About me, well I've been in the Army for a good while (used my mos for the screen name) and just transfered to the reserves so I can plant my family down more firmly in Utah soil.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
11B20B4 said:
...well I've been in the Army for a good while (used my mos for the screen name)...
Yes, sir, Army sniper! Your user name DID NOT go unnoticed. Personally, I am an ex-Marine, Vietnam era. I was in-country the same time that Carlos Hathcock was building his reputation.

Welcome to our little corner of paradise and I hope you stick around, and may I say, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
11B20B4 said:
Where do I update my profile?
On the second blue bar from the top of the page you will find "User CP" (stands for User Control Panel) on the left side of the bar. Click on it (you must be logged in) and then look along the left side of the page that opens up. You will find "Edit Profile" in the top, left box. Click on that and then just scroll down the page.

I have been doing some rummaging around and as I indicated earlier, finding an independent business license and frequency is going to be tough (which you already found out). You might be better off just asking your sister to ask her employer outright for the frequency. The problem with that is security companies tend to want to maintain a notion of secrecy.

We have other members on this board that are much better than I am in finding this information and I am hoping that they will see this thread and join in. In this business, patience is the rule.

11B20B4

qlajlu said:
Welcome to our little corner of paradise and I hope you stick around, and may I say, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Thank you for your service as well sir!

qlajlu said:
You might be better off just asking your sister to ask her employer outright for the frequency. The problem with that is security companies tend to want to maintain a notion of secrecy.
They either don't know or won't tell. Where do I know you from?

qlajlu said:
We have other members on this board that are much better than I am in finding this information and I am hoping that they will see this thread and join in. In this business, patience is the rule.

Patience pays off in many businesses. I appreciate your help with this, I'm really starting to like this new hobby.

Utah_Viper

Wanted to send my Welcome and invitation to join us at the In-Person meeting. We have quite the group here and always enjoy having more join in.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I spent a couple of hours out near them (Metro Protective Agency) and it appears that they are on one of the 450 Mhz LTR systems in the valley. I've got some freqs and LCN's, but there is a ways to go before I'll have anything confirmed. If they are half-way intelligent in the use of their radio comms, then they will be using the Voice Inversion option in their radios.
If I find anything more, I'll post it.

LGLHOOK

A good place to start that i have found on the LTR systems are:
1) Utah Communtcations (not to be confused with UCAN)
2) McIntosh Communications
just an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.