newbie quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPZ

Hi all. I hope this is not the wrong forum to post this in, but I am trying to do most of my research today since I have a busy week coming up... I am new to the forums, and have been looking to purchase a police scanner for quite some time (handheld) but have had many questions which I couldn't find answers to, so I haven't bought one yet. I am located in Hunterdon County, more specifically Readington NJ. I need to be able to pick up the Readington Police Department on whatever scanner I purchase, yet when I was beginning my second attempt at research thismorning I've found these results:

Readington, Township of

Frequency Tone Description Mode Tag
155.85000 Police Private FM
151.92500 245 DPL Whitehouse Rescue Squad Private FM

Because the police have a private channel, will I not be able to ever listen to them?
I can see how this may seem like a region specific question, but since I'm only asking about their system in general, and nothing specific I thought this could be posted here..

A friend recommended to me purchasing a Radio Shack Pro 91 but this does not receive digital transmissions -- is the system I listed above a digital system?

I hope I've provided enough info to be helpful in assisting you to answer my question.

Thank you so much and have a nice easter
Larry

n2mdk

There is nothing digital in the system http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1780 your talking about. I don't know what else is happening around your area though.
I would ask down in the NJ regional forum.
I don't know what that Police Private means but it's nothing that can't be monitored from the way it's listed.
If there isn't anything digital around you might want to look into the the GRE PSR-300

SUPZ

thank you very much. anyone know about what Police Private means?

captclint

Mentor
SUPZ said:
thank you very much. anyone know about what Police Private means?
It usually means a TAC channel that is used when they do not want to broadcast over county channels. Often, it is used for speed checks, or just township mobile to mobile coms.

SUPZ

thanks for all your help everyone!! I posted in the local forum and got answers to some of my questions already for how to scan Readington township... my latest (and final) series of questions is:

I'm looking into purchasing a radio-shack Pro-91 (As per recommendation from a friend)... hopefully this can pick them up from roughly 6 miles out. Would this handheld also be reliable in a moving car for reading Readington township (When I am IN readington township)? (Sorry if this is too locally specific for this thread)

Thank you,
Larry

SCPD

QRT
I see State of NJ highway patrol, also power & light are on analog trunking I would try a pro 97 or any analog trunking scanner

Taloniilm

if you don't mind the large size the PRO 97 is a good radio... I like a smaller radio hence my recomendation... good luck in your quest. Be sure to let us know what you decide on and how well you like it

SUPZ

thanks guys,
I'm actually not worried so much about State police as the locals, and as a college student I'm on a budget, so that's why I was leaning towards a Pro 82 or Pro 91 (ebay)

Unfortunately it seems as with any many scanners/setups, there may be a problem in picking up even the locals in my town... Here's my post from the local thread
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=756057#post756057
it appears as if the locals here may have "simplex" which could cause a problem for me in picking up their transmissions.

any further advice or comments in regards to not being able to hear them?

n2mdk

Actually it seems that the locals as you call them mostly use the county system for dispatch and things. You might hear the simplex if the units are close enough to you, or if you or your antenna are high enough up.

SUPZ

thank you for the suggestion! I am going to prob grab it on ebay because it will be a little bit cheaper for a guy on a budget.

SUPZ

thanks for the suggestion, but in the local forum tonight there was a reply that

"Whatever you decide, I would get a scanner capable of trunking and digital. Hunterdon county has a slew of newly licensed 400MHz channels.

Don't know if they will be digital, but it's better to be safe than sorry"

So, I figured I'd stick with buying a trunking scanner, but digital is too much $ for me now. I'll probably try and get my hands on a Radio Shack Pro 91

Status
Not open for further replies.