BCD160DN/BCD260DN: Newbie to all things scanner, newbie to BCD160DN

pglufkin

Simple question . . . how do I type in a specific frequency to listen to? Total newbie here . . . cannot find this in my manual.

Also, what can I read to get up to speed fast for all things related to my new BCD160DN?

Thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Simple question . . . how do I type in a specific frequency to listen to? Total newbie here . . . cannot find this in my manual.

Also, what can I read to get up to speed fast for all things related to my new BCD160DN?

Thank you

If you're putting in frequencies manually, check your owner's manual, top of page 56 - "How do I..... Assign Channels".

Much easier to use the free Uniden programming software (PC only, not Mac) from this link:

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @pglufkin and welcome to Radio Reference!

Before you go too far with that new scanner, and since you are new to scanners, are you aware that your scanner is analog-only and will not be able to receive digital signals? We don't know where you are so have you checked the Radio Reference database to make sure that who you want to listen to is still using the older analog technology? If any of them is operating with digital technology, you may want to return the new scanner and get a scanner that is capable of receiving compatible digital technologies.

Let us know if you need assistance.

Dave K4EET

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Before you go too far with that new scanner, and since you are new to scanners, are you aware that your scanner is analog-only and will not be able to receive digital signals?
Clarification:
The BCD160DN is not capable of handling P25 digital signals nor following a trunked system.

However, it can receive and decode DMR & NXDN channels, (both of these modes are digital), that are used as conventional channels, not part of a trunked system.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Another note. The menus in this scanner is a bit different than past scanners. Been comparing this scanner with other scanners and receivers. The menu to scan is broken down in groups of frequencies. Take the time to look in the manual as to what each scan. Its almost not needed to add frequencies as the list to scan covers pretty much all the frequencies, just broken down in chunks. You can scan one of the selected areas and hold on one of those frequencies, then store it. Its pretty slick what uniden did with the menus.

pglufkin

If you're putting in frequencies manually, check your owner's manual, top of page 56 - "How do I..... Assign Channels".

Much easier to use the free Uniden programming software (PC only, not Mac) from this link:

Don't really necessarily want to save the frequency, I just want to input it manually to listen to it . . . Assigning channels is not what I want since I won't be saving the channels necessarily. Thank you.

pglufkin

Stop on a frequency. enter new frequency and press yes (E).
I don't want to scan to the frequency, I don't want to assign the frequency, I would just like to input the frequency and listen to it. How do I do that?

Remon

HOLD, frequency, HOLD.

To type in another frequency: frequency, HOLD.

Rotary encoder on top to increase or decrease the frequency depending the direction you're twisting it.

To make it search: press HOLD one more time. Rotary encoder on top to choose direction (up or down).

To stop the search: HOLD

Last edited:

pglufkin

HOLD, frequency, HOLD.

To type in another frequency: frequency, HOLD.

Rotary encoder on top to increase or decrease the frequency depending the direction you're twisting it.

To make it search: press HOLD one more time. Rotary encoder on top to choose direction (up or down).

To stop the search: HOLD
Perfect, thank you, this was my answer.

pglufkin

Hi @pglufkin and welcome to Radio Reference!

Before you go too far with that new scanner, and since you are new to scanners, are you aware that your scanner is analog-only and will not be able to receive digital signals? We don't know where you are so have you checked the Radio Reference database to make sure that who you want to listen to is still using the older analog technology? If any of them is operating with digital technology, you may want to return the new scanner and get a scanner that is capable of receiving compatible digital technologies.

Let us know if you need assistance.

Dave K4EET
What would you suggest as a digital scanner? Thank you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What would you suggest as a digital scanner? Thank you.
Go back & read my comments above.

What is your location, and who are you trying to monitor? Public safety? A business or other nonpublic safety agency?

As long as whoever you want to hear is not, using P25, and only non-trunked DMR or NXDN, or analog, you do not need a different scanner. Aircraft, for example, are AM & analog, and the 160DN can handle those easily.