• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SmitHans

Obviously you aren’t dependent on the road for income nor much concern yourself about lowering risk. There are wrecks waiting for you as participant.

Mobile ain’t a base. And plenty of vehicles have problems with antenna mount location, ground plane, and /or total antenna height.

Some juice — across the necessarily less than ideal antenna — fixes problems can’t otherwise be done.

The divisor now (mid-2022) is between radios with or without integrated DSP in the audio. Not strictly price nor power.

You are correct that I am not dependent on the road for my income. Haven't been in over 10 years. Over 2 million accident free miles of the 18 wheel dance was enough for me. My 4 wheeler just turned 220K miles on the clock. Nary a scratch in the paint. I think I have adequate concern for my risk.

But I hear what you are saying about the radio, and I do not disagree. Doesn't change my statement however.

I have lost count of how many over-eager but under-educated people I have met, who scratched their heads trying to figure out why their fancy high power, chrome encrusted big radio hooked to an equally gaudy antenna didn't perform any better than my barefoot one through a simple whip. If I'd have gotten a C-note for each of those occasions, I imagine it might not have taken 2 million miles for me to hang up the truck keys.

Sure in some crowds, barefoot & skinny will get you laughed at. But I never ran a kicker. And despite some who swear otherwise, a kicker doesn't improve your hearing, which is what I counted on to stay out of trouble on the road. That was over 20 years ago, when drivers still used the CB. These days I'll come upon a wreck on the highway without a peep on the radio more often than not.

All I am saying is that people will focus on the bells & whistles, how many channels, how much power, and what the antenna looks like, while mostly ignoring the antenna set up - and then wonder why they are not getting out. The antenna is the important part - the biggest radio in the world is useless without it.

slowmover

Let us know when “you” (anyone) has suitably modified a 2023 Freightliner into a solid performer with a 4W CB. Round up the Roger Beep buddies and get to work. A model for all us dummies. Put up or Shut up.

Goal: 5-7/miles in a metro, mid-afternoon.
Hear, and Get Heard, at that distance.
4-minutes warning: TX, and RX.

The Few
is all that’s left. Tall trees. Upgrade your gear to chrome & whistles, you’ll find there is another world you don’t perceive. You didn’t hear anyone about a wreck, you’ve a poor system didn’t pick it up miles beforehand.

It ain’t 1997 any more.
It’s not 2018, either.

Last edited:

fuzzy212

And a high dollar manly looking coil antenna won't do squat unless it is installed properly and is the right antenna for the vehicle it is being installed on! The OP is going to be disappointed with that Stryker antenna. JMHO.

JD

Will trees make the swr read higher. Cause I'm at my house and have trees around me I have supposedly a 6' skipshooter but I'm 5'7 and I'm taller then it. I also got a 7' skip. But with the 6' skip I'm getting 2 swr with the tip all the way in. Just wonder if it would be lower in the open or would the 7' be better not sure how to think of it yet.

slowmover

Will trees make the swr read higher. Cause I'm at my house and have trees around me I have supposedly a 6' skipshooter but I'm 5'7 and I'm taller then it. I also got a 7' skip. But with the 6' skip I'm getting 2 swr with the tip all the way in. Just wonder if it would be lower in the open or would the 7' be better not sure how to think of it yet.

“Interference” with an accurate SWR reading will be occasioned by objects near-field.

The 6’ is okay. The 7’ is better (being taller; gets just above sleeper & van).